Nugget Shooter Forums
garimpo

TICKS ALIVE....

Consider this a PSA for everyone in this great hobby....

Tick removal

Spring will be here soon and the ticks will soon be showing their heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.

Please forward to anyone with children... or hunters or dogs, or anyone who even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

Unbelievable Don, I remember heating up tweezers years ago to get them varmits outta the skin.

some great information here, thanks much. ron

Everyone that has or gets a tick should save them in a jar, when you get enough, mail them to Obama! let him know your Ticked Off and here's the TICKS to prove it!. Ha! Ha! Grubstake

I'll give it a try as up here in N kalif this wet spring has them *&^%$ thick this year--If anyone else tries could you post results as I've tried many things and it seems to just make them nasty varmits dig in deeper??? thanx-John :spinnin:

Most drug stores used to carry an item that I believe was called

"chigoff" or something close to that...it came in a very small

glass bottle with a glass dobber inside to apply the liquid to a

chigger...it immediately relieved the itching and after it sets for

a few minutes it hardens and traps the little bugger inside...after

a couple of days you'll see a small white spot inside the medicine

and that's the little chigger just a small piece of puss...peel off

the med and he's history....

Hey DON, if you peel off the puss, its she's history! Not He! Ha! Ha! Better check your post. Grubstake

Hey Don,

Yes that method will work but, it's a lot easier to use Vick's "Vapo-Rub". Smear a little dab of Vapo-rub on the little bugger, and he'll back right out in a hurry! Plus it's easy to carry a little in your pack without all the fuss of soap and water. Check it out, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ben

Sawyer permethrin insect repellent is awesome stuff for ticks. You spray a pair of pants and a long sleeve shirt with the stuff and within 20-30 seconds of attaching to your clothes they fall off and die. Supposedly its what the military has been using for some time.

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/permethrin.htm

Ben thanks for reminding me why I bought that little tin of Vicks

vapo rub the last time I was in the States....your right it would

be much easier to carry....

Sean C.....Sawyer permethrin insect repellent is in my opinion

probably the best preventive ever made...for years I've been

using it on my clothes and it works....with the heavy foliage in the

jungle here sometimes a tick will survive and get attached...I may

get one tick where my amigos get 10-20 on any given day....I'm glad

you post the info on where to buy it...in the past I always bought

it at Cabala's but at times they don't have it for online shopping..

I use the pump spray and El Dorado uses the soak method...both work

fantastic....

:cigar: I eat lotza garlic during tick season and it seems to help. Pickled eggs and lotza beer seems to help fend off the rest a them critters and keeps the camp from gettn' crowded too :eee: thanx much for the ideas and I'm packn'm'all this summer 5 state run-John