Nugget Shooter Forums

GP Extreme coil.

nugget108

Hey guys how is everyone? I had a question about my gp extreme. I have the 2 DD coils that came with the machine when i bought it. I was wondering how deep the 18 inch DD punches, and which mono coil you all would suggest for it. Thank, Dan.

Hey guys how is everyone? I had a question about my gp extreme. I have the 2 DD coils that came with the machine when i bought it. I was wondering how deep the 18 inch DD punches, and which mono coil you all would suggest for it. Thank, Dan.

Hi Dan,

I had an Extreme for a number of years and had good luck with it. I now have 4000, and use the same coils. I never used the original Minelab coils (hunt mostly in NV and AZ) and have never found a need for a DD yet. I had excellent luck wth my 16 round mono Nuggethunter coil, and my 14 inch Nuggethunter elliptical mono. I also have the little 8 in Nuggetfinder elliptical and the 6 inch Coiltek that I have used from time to time depending on the terraign. I also have the mono Coiltek UFO (12 X 24) that works great if you have a lot of open ground to cover and not a lot of brush to contend with. The Minelab Commander coil (mono) works well too. They all have good sensitivity, it just depends on what you like best. Perhaps you can meet up with some people and try out their various coils before you buy as they are not inexpensive. I have gotten away from buying more Nuggetfinder coils (although the ones I have work great) because I like the construction of the new Coiltek and the Minelab coils better. The Nuggethunter coils have a tendency to not keep the covers on and you have to tape them on or zip tie them etc, a real pain - at least on the ones I have. Perhaps they have improvied this desitn defect. But to be honest, I have never had a failure problem with any of the Nuggetfinder coils or the Coiltek coils or the Minelab coils. The best coil is the one you feel most comfortable with and will use. I have yet to use my 11 DD coil that came with my 4000 because I have not had a need for a DD coil and I feel comfortable swinging my older coils. Whatever you buy, however, be sure to put a coil cover on it. A coil cover is much less expensive to replace than a coil! Good luck and happy hunting.

It could be, they make the 18 in DD and mono. but most were mono. it should say on the coil, if not try detecting in cancel mode with it, if you can't then its a mono. if you can its a DD Grubstake

My GP Extreme which i still have came with a 11'' and a 18'' double d coil and a 8''mono. The coil cables on the DD coils will be slihgtly flat as with all DD coils. The first year that I had My New GP Extreme I found A 8 gm.nug with the 11''DD and two nugetts with the 18'' DD.The first one was 29.9 gms at the depth of 20''. the second one was a 19.4 grammer at 8''.

The following year I took the GP Extreme to Alaska and found 5.8 ounces of pretty gold using the 11''DD coil. i still use my DD coils on My 3500 now and then.

Harry

Yes my 18" coil is the DD. Does anyone know what kind of depth it has over the 11". I want to buy a mono but am stuck with the DD'S for now. I know that they are so quiet in the hot ground which is a HUGE difference from my GB2. I found a 22 bullet in a wash at 19 inches deep, so i know it punches pretty deep. Thanks everyone.

Dan

The minelab GP Extreme came out new with the 11" and 18" coils and both of these coils are DD.

I still have my minelab GP Extreme that I bought new. I have hardly ever used the 18" coil, but I have used the 11" DD coil a lot in seaching old gold dredge tailing. I use the GP Exteme in discrimination when seaching the dredge tailings as there is so much iron trash in the tailing.

I have found some nice gold specimens in the old gold dredge tailings in Idaho and Montana.

Bert

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah the more reading i do the more i find out that the earlier Extremes came with a mono and DD. The later models came with 2 DD'S. That dang 18" DD is HEAVY. But i want to find something with it before i buy a mono.