Nugget Shooter Forums

Florida Hunting

There are five Florida meteorites to date:

1.Name: BONITA SPRINGS

The place of discovery: Bonita Springs, Lee County, Florida, USA. φ = 26°16'N, λ =81°45'W.

Date of discovery: FOUND, Summer 1938

Class and type: STONE, chondrite

The number of separate specimens: 1

Total weight, grams: 41800

2.Name: Eustis, FL

Year found: 1918

Class and type: STONE H4

Coordinates:(28° 50'N, 81° 41'W)

Mass: 502 g

3. Name: GRAYTON

Place of find: Grayton Beach, Walton County, Florida, USA.

30°18'42"N., 86°10'W.

Date of find: 1983

Class and type: Stone. Olivine-bronzite chondrite (H5). Olivine Fa18.6.

Number of individual

specimens: 1

Total weight: 11.3 kg

Circumstances of find: Found near Grayton Beach by H. Povenmire.

4. Name: Okechobee

Class and type: STONE L4

Year found: 1916

Coordinates: (26° 41'N, 80° 48'W)

Mass: 1000 g

5. Orlando 28°32′51′′N, 81°21′44′′W

Orange County, Florida, USA

Fall: 8 November 2004

Achondrite (eucrite, monomict)

History: On Monday, November 8, 2004, around 6:15 P.M., Ms. Donna Shuford was startled by the noise of something hitting the side of her house. She discovered that something had hit the top of her car and ricocheted onto the side of her house. A single ~180 g stone that had fragmented on impact was found.

Petrography and Geochemistry: (D. Mittlefehldt and M. Zolensky, NASA JSC) Major phases are low-Ca pyroxene (Wo3En35Fs62; Fe/Mn ~30) with lamellae of high-Ca pyroxene (Wo45En29Fs26), and calcic plagioclase (An71– 83Ab16–28Or~1). Minor phases include titanian chromite (TiO2 = 16–20, Al2O3 = 2–3, MgO = 0.4, MnO = 0.8; [all wt%]), ilmenite (MgO = 0.5, MnO = 0.9 [both wt%]), with silica, iron sulfide, and Fe,Ni metal. The rock is largely unbrecciated, but has shock veins with granular texture and containing some glass. Remnant ophitic/subophitic igneous texture is preserved with plagioclase laths ~1 mm by ~30 µm, and ~2 mm blocky pyroxene grains. In much of the rock, pyroxene has been recrystallized to ~20–50 µm equant grains while plagioclase retains its original shape.

Classification: Achondrite (eucrite, monomict).

Specimens: A 20 g type specimen is on deposit at SI. The finder holds the main mass.

bill peters

Ya Bill, Very thorough post. Chriscam, you also might want to try this link at the Meteoretical Database. Enter the meteorite name, say Bonita Springs, then at the bottom of the new web page for the Bonita Spring database entry, enter a new proximity search for meteroites within say 400 kilometers, then of those hits that come up, hit the Google Earth link (install Googe Earth if you need to) You should be able to find where at least a meteorite has been found before. Good Luck Hunting !! Clifton

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/metbull.php

Great i have just really found this to be a very interesting area of both exploration and study mainly i have found micro meteorite fragments a the edges of my home where rain water collects. I have done some exploring of possible sights on Google maps but this is very difficult in Florida due to the fact that we have so many sink holes both old partial or fully filled and new. Our weather is not very conductive to the preservation of old falls but again i have recently seen for myself several possible falls and was wondering if anyone has any technique for estimating distance and location from single sighting falls ???? any input???

Wow Bill, great post! How's the forum wokin' for ya so far Chris? :thumbsupanim - Terry