Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VegasRocker

Fireball Explodes Over Southern Wisconsin

Looks like tomorrow will be a good day for Midwestern meteorite hunters. B)

Meteor sightings across southern Wisconsin

MADISON (WKOW) -- Something it up the sky in the Madison area Wednesday night, the question is - what was it?

Dozens of people called the 27 Newsroom shortly after 10:00 PM to report a bright light in the sky. Calls came in from all over south central Wisconsin, and from as far away as St. Louis.

Sharon Wisniewski, spokesperson for the Dane County Regional Airport, confirms pilots on two aircrafts witnessed what looked like a bright meteor in the sky. They believe it burned out. One pilot was flying a helicopter, the other a plane.

Ken in Madison said the sky "Lit up just like daylight" and then it was gone.

Tara in Oregon told us she saw a bright green light come from the west before disappearing in the southeast.

Rhonda in Fitchburg said something lit up the large windows in her home, and within moments, it was gone.

Cheryl in Dodgeville says she saw a bright flash of light and then her house rumbled.

Callers in Livingston and Clyde Township claim they not only saw the light, they felt an impact.

People in as far away as Westfield report seeing the light, and questioned whether it was a plane in trouble.

27 News Chief Meteorologist Bob Lindmeier says it is possible a large meteor passed through the area, but it's hard to know exactly what caused the bright light. "Most meteors never reach the ground." He said. "They typically disintegrate in the atmosphere." Lindmeier says the disintegration could cause a rumbling sound.

If you have pictures or video of the whatever it was that lit up the sky, please call or email the 27 Newsroom.

They have a video here in St Louis showing the bright flash of the same meteor. Quite large. We are entering a period of meteor showers.

Steve

Here is the Doppler Radar Image:

Doppler Rader from WREX

Here is a Doppler Radar of the Smoke Trail:

National Weather Service Doppler

Here's another Video:

Business Security Cam Video

If this information helps anyone find stones from this fall.... please feel free to send me one. :inocent: ;)

OK, I have plotted the ground track and likely strewnfield location. Anyone in Iowa, Wisconsin, or Illinois want to partner up?

EMAIL ME

I've decided to go to Wisconsin!!! :arrowheadsmiley:

I need 2 more people to carpool/share expenses. Must be able to be in Las Vegas by 7:00 am tomorrow morning (Fri. 4/16).

Please call me if you would like to go with us on this adventure.... the who's who of the meteorite world will be there!!!

Dale R.

(702) 994-0156

First recovered meteorite from the April 14, 2010 Wisconsin Fireball:

LINK

Thanks for the videos. Hope you find some big chunks of that rock and retire. :thumbsupanim

Astro Bob blog: First meteorite recovered from Wisconsin fireball...(Can't link to because it requires login.)

It looks like southern Wisconsin's the place to be right now if you want to hunt for fresh meteorites. Pieces of meteorite from Wednesday night's amazing fireball appear to have fallen over the Livingston area between Platteville and Avoca.

Rocking out, meteorite hunters make rare find in the Livingston area of SW Wisconsin..

Dale, good luck up there. Too many commitments on this end to even to think about going...Plus, I was just back that way over spring break... Jason ;)

Thanks everyone...... but ..... I never made it out of Las Vegas. :arrowheadsmiley:

The stars just weren't lining up: my cell phone stopped working, my wife hasn't been feeling well, my carpoolers cancelled, I walked under a ladder, a black cat walked in front of me, and I lost my lucky rabbits foot!!!! :inocent: :yuk-yuk:

So, I decided to stay home and help two teams of meteorite hunters by making detailed maps and providing support and updates. Both teams will be on the ground by tomorrow noon. I sure wish I could be there though, but I guess I'll have to wait for a bolide meteor to fall out of the sky closer to home...... and hopefully not over a top seceret military base either! :rolleyes:

MY BEST WISHES AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THE GROUND IN SOUTHERN WISCONSIN!!! B)

Well, Im staying at the "Mound View Inn" in Platteville. Today my grumpy brother my old man and I are off to find a little piece of the now infamous Livingston, WI meteorite. We have a couple of top secret locations to check out today. And my old man snores like a chainsaw... Its a nice chilly 37 as I wake up and sunny High of 59. We have perfect weather for hunting... Wish us luck...

VegasRocker, stuff happens! By now I imagine the dumbest local has wised upped to the fact there is money to be made on this. With 90% or more private land back there it could get hard to find a place to hunt without running into a Cheese Head in bib-overalls packing a 12 gage.

Meteorite Bros, good luck guys. Some news sources are saying that area has been over run with meteorite hunters, true or false?

VegasRocker, stuff happens! By now I imagine the dumbest local has wised upped to the fact there is money to be made on this. With 90% or more private land back there it could get hard to find a place to hunt without running into a Cheese Head in bib-overalls packing a 12 gage.

Meteorite Bros, good luck guys. Some news sources are saying that area has been over run with meteorite hunters, true or false?

No, I have only seen one or two people that look like they are hunting. But Ive been turned down to get on any of the land I wanted to try.

My problem is that I have been getting all the usual mis-information. Everyone I have talked to says it landed right by them. I even had some person at the livingston gas station (they only have 1) try to tell me that there was a fire about 20 miles north of livingston in blue river. That the trees caught on fire cause of the fireball. And I had a local farmer (who wouldnt let me on his land) tell me that they found a piece about 15 miles east of Livingston in Dodgeville by Madison.

I have only seen the one or 2 actual meteorite hunters in the area but I did see a 20 vehicle convoy heading south east from Livingston on Hwy E towards hwy 151. I went to chase after them but they lost me...

So this sucks... All the usual lies and misdirection...No one wants to tell the truth and act like a bunch of 3rd graders protecting their favorite kickball from the younger kids on recess...

No, I have only seen one or two people that look like they are hunting. But Ive been turned down to get on any of the land I wanted to try.

My problem is that I have been getting all the usual mis-information. Everyone I have talked to says it landed right by them. I even had some person at the livingston gas station (they only have 1) try to tell me that there was a fire about 20 miles north of livingston in blue river. That the trees caught on fire cause of the fireball. And I had a local farmer (who wouldnt let me on his land) tell me that they found a piece about 15 miles east of Livingston in Dodgeville by Madison.

I have only seen the one or 2 actual meteorite hunters in the area but I did see a 20 vehicle convoy heading south east from Livingston on Hwy E towards hwy 151. I went to chase after them but they lost me...

So this sucks... All the usual lies and misdirection...No one wants to tell the truth and act like a bunch of 3rd graders protecting their favorite kickball from the younger kids on recess...

OK, here's the thing.... these Pro Meteorite Hunters have traveled a long way and have invested a lot of money to get to Southern Wisconsin. They probably have laptops and have spent many hours doing their research about this event. They have professionally represented themselves and have forged relationships with property owners, through their reputations and most likely with some cash. They have done all the hard leg work all in the hopes of finding meteorites that will at least let them break even for the hundreds or thousands of dollars they have invested in this endeavor. You really can't blame them for not sharing their information with you. The hunter who does his homework wins!!! :cool:

As far as witnesses, they should all be taken with a grain of salt. Objects in the night sky are hard to perceive: distance, altitude, trajectory....these are all subjective to the trained and the untrained eye alike. Sounds like that farmer was trying to get you 15 miles away from his property! :yuk-yuk:

I bet that 20 vehicle convoy was all the pro's heading to a BIG discovery. The direction they were headed correlates with the primary area I plotted to be most productive....I wish I would have went. B)

VegasRocker, "I bet that 20 vehicle convoy was all the pro's heading to a BIG discovery. The direction they were headed correlates with the primary area I plotted to be most productive."

That pretty much says it all don't it. You probably just got the best tip your going to get on this event from VegasRocker, go southeast. Latest news.

News Video, Arizona Hunter Finds Meteorite.Video link at start of story on the left. The player pops up after clicking the link.

Meteorite Hunters Flock To Wisconsin

Meteorite Bros, this might interest you. In the first video's start there was this just before the news guy came on.

post-3372-127158713259_thumb.jpg

I wondered how many wind turbines were in the Livingston area. They wouldn't have shown them if they weren't near

where they shot the video, so I did a little Googling. There is only one place, at least in March 2005 on Google maps.

It is not southeast of Livingston, but northeast about 5.5 miles. That's via CO-RD-E east then north on CO-RD-Xx. In

the above picture there is a road running across the middle left to right and the black blur is a car on the far left.

post-3372-127158821726_thumb.jpg

There are 17 wind turbines just south of Hwy. 18 and if they were just north of Hwy. 18 then it would be the road in

the 1st picture with the 2 turbines in the background. You never said how far out you went on CO-RD-E before you lost

that convoy. They could have turned north on CO-RD-Xx going up to the Hwy. 18 area. It might be worth checking out if

you don't have anything better. Good luck guys.

A Positive News Story:

Visitors Flood Livingston, Bringing In Business

Meteorite Man Steve Arnold on the scene:

Wisconsin_Steve.jpg

Wisconsin Meteor Wrongs

How does Steve Arnolds 3-4 day old piece of meteorite already get rusted when it has not rained since the fall? The limestone dirt is also crusted, hard, and bone dry. Must be one from his collection.......

Here's a quote from the "Feeding Frenzy" article-

"As he was driving to a searching site, he noticed he was being tailed by cars he says contained dealers wanting to be led to prime hunting grounds."

What a joke! The guy (Paul Sipiera) says things are "getting weird" and thats probably him being a little to paranoid. His "prime hunting grounds" must not be that prime if he hasn't found anything yet. The hunters out there probably know a heck of a lot more about the strenwfield than he does. I mean why would experienced meteorite hunters (who have done this many times) follow a newbie around? If the guy was smart and wasn't busy "shaking people off" his tail maybe he could learn something from the guys who have been doing this for years. Maybe then he'll actually score a find!

Del

I agree, Del...

and like so many tax-supported acadamians he wants everyone to leave them to him...so he can glean more tax supported study time, write a doctorate thesis and keep the best specimen in his private office...or am I being cynical?

Fred