Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab USA 1 star customer service

G neufeld

I have called and E-mailed Minelab USA in Vegas a number of times now this week about warranty on my 11” DD coil that never worked form the get go. The phone number must go to a call service because the ladies that answer don’t know anything about the product and say a customer service manager will call you back in 24hr’s. So I just sit in limbo waiting for something to happen my point is that Minelab sells a great machine and we should get great customer service. I talked to one of the reps at a gold show and asked for his card (just in case if I had any question) and he just said I don’t have one. OK what’s the big secret I don’t like to deal with companies that you can’t get a hold of or won’t give you contact information! So I give Minelab USA 1 star customer service I hope it gets better

I have gotten this same run around myself and just posted this on another forum:

They have had my 4000 for two weeks to upgrade the switch. I have tried calling numerous times(800 # and 702#) and each time I call the call is answered by a call center not by Las Vegas. Apparently the call center can only forward info... Does anyone have an actual telephone number to Las Vegas Minelab.........

At least the call center is in N. Calif not India!

I have called and E-mailed Minelab USA in Vegas a number of times now this week about warranty on my 11" DD coil that never worked form the get go. The phone number must go to a call service because the ladies that answer don't know anything about the product and say a customer service manager will call you back in 24hr's. So I just sit in limbo waiting for something to happen my point is that Minelab sells a great machine and we should get great customer service. I talked to one of the reps at a gold show and asked for his card (just in case if I had any question) and he just said I don't have one. OK what's the big secret I don't like to deal with companies that you can't get a hold of or won't give you contact information! So I give Minelab USA 1 star customer service I hope it gets better

Did You call Trina Bonney @ 1-702-891-8809. Trina is the opperations Manager at Minelab USA in Las VegasShe has none a wonderful job in responding to My recent calls for repair on My wifes Eureka Gold.

Harry

Harry, call that number ad you will get the call center... the foldk there do not even know what a metal detector is or if Minelab has a service departmentat all!!

Road trip in the Vette...hmmmmmmm can you get any comp tickets?

I certainly have not been impressed with the quality of the equipment nor the quality of service. Undoubtedly the Minelab PI uses great technology but the components are cheap and problems are common. When problems are encountered it is a hassle to communicate with them and my detector was in a "black hole" for 4 weeks. When it came back it was fixed, but had more problems within a month.

With the extreme price difference between this and other very good, American made detectors I am not sure I am feeling the value. My PI has been inoperational for three important hunts and I have been forced to use my old VLF unit. I debated whether to go with the GMT or with a PI and I sprung for the PI. I could have bought 4 GMT's for the price of that one PI, and the Whites quality, service and communication is MUCH better.

I like the way that my PI functions in MOST places, but I certainly will not upgrade to another Minelab. I will however buy a new GMT which in my opinion is every bit as good and better in some situations. If it is as reliable as my 30 year old GMII there is no doubt that it will become my primary weapon of choice and sooner or later the Minelab will be in the corner gathering dust.

I certainly have not been impressed with the quality of the equipment nor the quality of service. Undoubtedly the Minelab PI uses great technology but the components are cheap and problems are common. When problems are encountered it is a hassle to communicate with them and my detector was in a "black hole" for 4 weeks. When it came back it was fixed, but had more problems within a month.

With the extreme price difference between this and other very good, American made detectors I am not sure I am feeling the value. My PI has been inoperational for three important hunts and I have been forced to use my old VLF unit. I debated whether to go with the GMT or with a PI and I sprung for the PI. I could have bought 4 GMT's for the price of that one PI, and the Whites quality, service and communication is MUCH better.

I like the way that my PI functions in MOST places, but I certainly will not upgrade to another Minelab. I will however buy a new GMT which in my opinion is every bit as good and better in some situations. If it is as reliable as my 30 year old GMII there is no doubt that it will become my primary weapon of choice and sooner or later the Minelab will be in the corner gathering dust.

Take a good look at the Whites TDI before you jump back to a VLF.

Sorry folks, but i reached Trina Bonney on her cell phone. her # is 1-702-473-8730. You might have to leave a message but shee will get back to you.

Harry

My post was in no way to bash Minelab, I just wanted to get a better #.....

First of all, I had no issues with my detector, only communications with the service center. BB if you were ever to get one of the high end Minelabs you would change your mind in a heartbeat about them.... No VLF will ever produce what a 4000 or 4500 will... The only reason mine was sent in was to upgrade a switch that has never faltered, but they say it can. I am down for 3-4 weeks due to some surgery, so though it would be a good time to get this done to my trusty machine.

Just in case anyone needs the info:

Minelab USA, Inc.

871 Grier Dr. Ste # B-1

Las Vegas, Nevada 89119

702-891-8809 x 25 (office) actually this # will get the call center right now......

702-473-8730 (direct line)

702-891-8810 (fax)

702-278-2634 (cell)

trinab@minelabusa.com

Don't have a clue what's going on with Minelad but last

Oct. I had a detector serviced and it was a great pleasure

to deal with Trina...very efficient and professional and

more than willing to give a helping hand...a very good

person....

Take a good look at the Whites TDI before you jump back to a VLF.

I like the TDI. A buddy of mine has one. It, nor any of the other PI's are very good at getting the really tiny pieces, and that is what there is most of here. For big, deep gold a PI is great. If I lived in Arizona or California I certainly could utilize a high end machine. But it just does not make sense for me. There are a few big uns here, but most of the really good big gold is in hardrock vein. There is excellent placer but it is rarely over 2-3 grs. in size. When I find a few flakes in an area I put down the detector and start drywashing. On my claim I have taken out many ounces of gold over the years and have never found a piece larger than a freckle on your arm.

A high end Minelab would be a great thing in country where the gold is big. And it could certainly pay off in an area like you are hunting Steve...You have the proof in your hand! Here in my country it does not pay. I have prospected with some mighty experienced detectorists who used the latest technology. The fellows looking for the big gold found some very impressive specimens for sure. I have found several ounces with the 2100v2 in the last year going over old patches and have found some nice gold nuggets but nothing over 4 dwt. Sure there is still a big one down a little deeper, but I think I can make more weight with a sensitive machine and a drywasher right now.

As far as what I use the PI for is looking for iron meteorites, not gold. Finding an iron object the size of a finger is no problem for the 2100v2 and I seriously doubt you could find any more meteorites with a $8K Lorenz machine. The targets are not hard to find and the machine you are using makes almost zero difference in your failure or success.

I am very happy with the PI's capability to find a target but the reliability has been bad, those cheap switches and knobs they use are tacky, the price is horrendous and you have to buy a buttload of extra accessories that are equally as spendy. It is finicky about interference, it is unweildy and heavy and the battery situation is a hassle. That is not knocking the Minelab or anyone who uses one, but it is just my honest observation.

It is a fantastic machine and I am sure that the even more horrendously priced ones are outstanding. I know they are because I have seen the results. A new trolling motor and a shotgun barrel for the Encore is much higher on the priority list to purchase, and a $4 magnet on a stick has been bringing home the bacon pretty well lately.

I was called today by Trina and given good new that my detector had already been shipped back to me. I would suggest sending an e-mail.

BB sorry there is no "big" gold, but even for 2-3 gram dinks in hot soils then new GPXs shine

Got a call late Friday they said send coil back for R&R and they will take care of it ASAP. So I asked do you have a replacement coil in stock if you can’t repair……long pause……I will have to check most coils are on backorder. But the good news is I did get new direct #’s for Minelab

Is THAT what you're calling it now Steve? :arrowheadsmiley: Frankly, I'm surprised you aren't blind by now! :inocent: - Terry

Minor....... carpal tunnel, have to keep the left hand in good shape for carving those waxes.

BB sorry there is no "big" gold, but even for 2-3 gram dinks in hot soils then new GPXs shine

Man you are talking HUNKS for New Mexico. 90% of all gold here is sub grain sized particles. If'n a detector cant get a 1 gr. speck you are probably going to hunt days and days to even find one gold target. That is why we dont buy $5000 detectors very often... there is just nothing that big to find.

On the other hand if your machine can find 1-2 gr. specks you can often average 1/4 ounce per day. That is why I keep saying in some placers a detector is nearly worthless. There can be fortunes in the gravel but not a detectable sized piece in the whole area.

Also, these "guts" of fine gold are often very concentrated and make sxcellent drywashing. An expensive detector (any PI and many VLF's)will go right over them and never break the threshold, but a cheap GBII will sing when you scrub the coil against them. Most of my gold has been found with a GBII or a GMII and recovered with a drywasher. Again, on mine (and 90% of all) claims any metal detector is absolutely worthless for recovering gold. Where the gravel yeilds quantities of fine dusty gold a detector is useless, and this describes almost every placer in New Mexico.

The places here where a detector can be used to recover gold can be counted on one hand, and the places where gold particles are over 1 gram in size are even fewer. While I regularly detect for nuggets and have over 30 years of experience using several good machines, less than 1% of my gold recovery is from detecting. It is just for fun. If I want to recover steady gold adn fill the poke, I dig and concentrate.

Your prospecting equipment is dictated by the characteristics of the placer. You cant recover gold with a drywasher from a river. You cant use a dredge in the desert. You cant use a Minelab machine to recover gold where the largest piece is the size of sugar. Even if there are nuggets to be detected (like in my area) you will do much better on weight if you stick to the tools that are designed to be used for the type of placer that you are working.

Again, I know several good detectorists that use the latest technology and are crack operators. While they have found sizeable nuggets after hundeds of hours trying, my recovery is many times what theirs is. My recovery with the detector is on par with theirs as well. Since the nuggets are not very big and not very deep for the most part, the added technology is virtually wasted here.

Most fellows are amazed at how much fine gold they can recover witha drywasher and how skunked they are detecting with ANY machine. It is not the machine that makes the difference anyway, but the placer. You can take the best machine and go over barren hils for 10 years and find NO GOLD. You can take that machine and go over a dusty placer for ten years and find the same. Your success does not really depend on the type of machine you use but how well that machine is suited to the gold deposit and how you communicate with your machine.

Yeah.... got my beeper back form Minelab today........ Will give'r a test run tomorrow if the rain is not too bad. Now I can finally get back to my new spot where I found that 11 dwt specie a month ago!