Nugget Shooter Forums

Question: Metal detectors and flying w/ carry-on

Hello Friends:

We all know you can bring a metal detector via checked baggage, but I am wondering what you can bring on as carry-on. I am reading mixed reports online about this. Some say you can bring just the electronics and coils and some say no coils. Looks like they all prohibit the shafts. I worry about theft and want to reduce the chances by as much as possible. What's your experience with this? I have a GMT in a nice compact hardshell case and would like to carry on as much as possible. Can I bring the electronics and coils with me on the plane? Please share your experience!

Cheers,

Mike B.

Wow. Different answers from my airline and TSA. Alaska Air said, "yes as long as it fits in your carry-on." When I explained that it had poles/shafts, he said, "I don't see why not but do you want to call TSA?" I called TSA and she said "the problem with metal detectors is the handle." I said "you mean the shafts or the handle?" She said, "yeah the shafts and handle." The only problem is that the GMT has that stupid iron ID switch built into the handle. Haven't looked into into how to remove it yet, so hopefully it won't be difficult.

Bottom line: check the handle and shafts. They are less likely to get jacked than a complete detector. And from what I understand, thefts are way up in the baggage department and there is no recourse.

After looking at my GMT again, there is no way I am going to go to the hassle of trying to take the electronics package apart from the handle. I guess I will have to check it. Bummer.

Each airline has their own rules and it also depends on destination.... in country or other......yup, best to call airline or check their online resources

Very sound advice. And to add insult to injury, check with TSA too. If I carry-on scuba equipment they would not allow the gauges and regulators even though the airlines said it was O.K. with them. This was a while back and I am sure rules have changed several times, but just becasue the airline will allow it in the plane cabin does not mean TSA will allow it through the secure boarding area.

I use carry-on baggage only (my backpack)and dont mess with anything that has special restrictions. I ship the rest both ways and it only costs me a few bucks. I send hunting rifles, ammunition, bows, etc. etc. on several hunts this way and shipped meat back. Never a problem. I would ship my gear before I put it in the luggage compartment. I saw them THROW my gun case on the cart and it slid across the luggage and fell on the tarmac on the other side. After they got me all calmed down and off the plane I never put my gear in luggage again. UPS might throw them around too I guess but at least I dont SEE it happening.

MIKEY, MIKEY, The shafts disconnect from the main body of the GMT, the readout screen and control box are one small unit that will fit in your overhead/carryon bag, the shafts and coil can be packed in your luggage. Then theres nothing for a crook to steal from your baggage unless they have a use for the SHAFTS AND COIL.

Yes I know that, but she said that the handle attached to the electronics box cannot be carried on, so I would have to remove it from the handle. So, basically, no shafts or handles (including the one that holds the electronics package).

By the way, if you GMT users don't have this case, it is awesome. I can fit everything in it including picks tools and 14" coil.

gmt2.jpg

gmt1.jpg

Wow. Different answers from my airline and TSA. Alaska Air said, "yes as long as it fits in your carry-on." When I explained that it had poles/shafts, he said, "I don't see why not but do you want to call TSA?" I called TSA and she said "the problem with metal detectors is the handle." I said "you mean the shafts or the handle?" She said, "yeah the shafts and handle." The only problem is that the GMT has that stupid iron ID switch built into the handle. Haven't looked into into how to remove it yet, so hopefully it won't be difficult.

Bottom line: check the handle and shafts. They are less likely to get jacked than a complete detector. And from what I understand, thefts are way up in the baggage department and there is no recourse.

Likely as not, if you call your airline again and talk to a different person you will get a totally different answer. Same goes for the TSA. Most of the people you will talk to don't know a metal detector from a gold pan and they are trying to interpret a rule written by a comittee of people who probably have the same basis of knowledge. To their credit, though, at least they are TRYING to give you an answer. I think that much will depend on who is working the day you try to fly, how the stars and planets are aligned, and the color of your eyes.

And maybe a good way to go would be to "Write them a letter" and receive a written response from the airline and/or TSA. And carry that written response with you when you go to the airport. If you frequently want to travel with your equipment, maybe do that written request annually, so you will always have a current copy to present them when they give you any hassle.

Hello Friends:

We all know you can bring a metal detector via checked baggage, but I am wondering what you can bring on as carry-on. I am reading mixed reports online about this. Some say you can bring just the electronics and coils and some say no coils. Looks like they all prohibit the shafts. I worry about theft and want to reduce the chances by as much as possible. What's your experience with this? I have a GMT in a nice compact hardshell case and would like to carry on as much as possible. Can I bring the electronics and coils with me on the plane? Please share your experience!

Cheers,

Mike B.

Dude....Just put it in your underwear :spinnin:

Folks there's no 100% guaranteed way to transport your equipment

but you can do this and it helps most of the time...do an

intense search of the airline site and print copies that pertain

to your equipment....same with the TSA site...stick to specifics

and put the printed material with your carry on documents...

Example..shortly after 9-11 I was going back for my annual visit

and the police in Detroit found the 1/2 kilo of nuggets in my

usual piece of luggage I used just for that purpose...they

confiscated my gold and left with it for about 10 minutes and when

they returned their supervisor said it was iron pyrite...he did me

a hugh favor....I had already research their site and I knew that I

was legal but they didn't know it...I should have had copies of

their site...second problem was I didn't declare it....since then

I have copies of their rules and have had to show them the gold

and the copies every time...doing a little work and being prepared

pays off...don't take anything for granted or listen to hearsay...