Nugget Shooter Forums
Allen in MT

Time for your critque

This was my 1st attempt at melting gold,

got a couple of things to change and it was a learning experience.

e&hagd

Allen in MT

Allen,

It looks like you did rather well on your first pour and it can only get better the more you do it!! :thumbsupanim

Good job.

Skip

Nice job Allen. What did you use to clean the slag off with.

Harry

Great video. Where did you get the mold and how much was it? Also, how much does an oven like that cost? I have been using a torch with Mapp gas and making buttons, but I really like the way you are doing it.

Matt

Allen, that was pretty interesting and you had my attention the whole time. Very cool indeed and nice job. But now I've got to go out and find some small gold instead of the big nuggets :hahaha: ...Jason ;)

Allen, very good job for sure! Next time use 1/3 - 1/4 the amount of flux, you don't really need very much and pouring will be much easier.....

I notice that you use tongs to stir the mix you put in the cup. Is the cup preheated ?

You donot seem to wear gloves when you you opened the oven's door. Does it stay cool on the out side ?

Please realize I do not have sound on my system.

Harry

The slag is a melt of the borax quartz etc and is a hardened glass that when tapped it breaks off (very sharp)

Matt

I got the graphite mold from www.makeyourowngoldbars.com I think this kind of oven is about 800.00 bucks, but there are cheaper kilns out there such as Kerr melting pots.

Thanks Steve

Ebon

The crusible was warmed up a bit, thats the reason for the tongs. The oven door handle is cool but the rest of the oven surface is quit warm to hot.

Allen in MT

I drill a hole into a block of Gypsum Board. Use Mapp Gas and Just Borax, No Sand.

Works for small stuff . I made a Ring that way.

Thanks Allen for the video, It was very informative. I'm going to give it a try.

ALLEN,

THANKS FOR BRING BACK ALOT OF GOOD MEMORIES. STEVE IS RIGHT ON THE AMOUNTS OF FLUX. NOT MUCH IS NEEDED AND POURING IS NOT ONLY EASIER BUT MORE EVEN IN FILLING IN THE GAPS. I REMEMBER MANY A GOOD POUR AFTER A 2 DAY MILL RUN. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE MEMORIES.

BOB :olddude::miner:

Allen

Nice lump of gold. I melt old gold jewelry with a torch. I put my flux in a salt shaker and sprinkle a little on as the gold is melting. I stir it with a graphite rod after the gold melts to draw away the crap. After the pour I have no excess flux. The graphite rod picks it up along with all the crap. Get a rod and stir the gold in the oven then reheat. Keep that flux lining in the crusible for the next pour. You want to be quick on your pour. Out of the oven and pour a quick as you can. Good luck.

Allen, thanks,good video, Years afo I had to serve papers on a small mining operation and was able to watch them pour a cone, I belive it was about nine pounds..........Thanks again, Idaho Al

Going to try a new reciepe, should clean the gold up to around 970 fine I hope. will be using 1 part niter, 2 part pot ash and 3 part borax. Got this from a small lab over in Idaho that is doing medical grade gold.

Allen

Now you will be smelting vs. melting!