Nugget Shooter Forums

The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites

Digitrich,

I just checked on Amazon.com and they are selling this book for a whopping $249.00. :grr01:

What a shame. I bought mine from Amazon when it first came out for $35.00. Now that is inflation. I guess this is what happens to an author's book once he dies.

Sorry, mine is not for sale. Maybe in another 5 years it will be worth $500.00. :hmmmmm:

Bob

There are two. One is the "old" one and it is a lot cheaper. The new one contains CD's and electronic references to all finds and falls. The "new' one is a lot more than just a book.

Now, whether that makes you feel any better about the price I do not know. You can still get the "old" book for under $50 if you can find it. I found the "new" one just after it came out for $150 very slightly used. I saw one of the "old" ones just the other day in a pawn shop for $30.

Bob

For you guys and girls that do have a copy of this book: Are there allot of color photos of the meteorites in it?

I am asking because that is my primary purpose for wanting to obtain one. I have the Southwestern collection of meteorites and Haag's book which are mostly color photos of meteorites and are my favorites because of that, so before I KERPLUNK $249 schmuckaroonies down on this one....OUCH....I was hoping to find out what's in it.

Thanks, Joe

For you guys and girls that do have a copy of this book: Are there allot of color photos of the meteorites in it?

I am asking because that is my primary purpose for wanting to obtain one. I have the Southwestern collection of meteorites and Haag's book which are mostly color photos of meteorites and are my favorites because of that, so before I KERPLUNK $249 schmuckaroonies down on this one....OUCH....I was hoping to find out what's in it.

Thanks, Joe

Looking closer at the one on Amazon for $249, it appears that it IS the old one copyright 2002, Without the CD :*&$*(:

Looking closer at the one on Amazon for $249, it appears that it IS the old one copyright 2002, Without the CD :*&$*(:

Try Borders. I know they have it on special order and it is the new edition with the CD for about $249.

Dont believe the hype that Borders rearranged the "religion" section to put the Koran above all other religious texts. That was posted on this forum some time ago and it is simply not factual. I checked it out because I do a lot of business with Borders and this vicious rumor was not true. The Koran is on the third shelf in Santa Fe, the second shelf in NE Albuquerque, and on the lower shelf in NW Albuquerque. No attempt has been made to place this particular text on a "higher shelf" than the bible as was purported in the post here.

Try Borders. I know they have it on special order and it is the new edition with the CD for about $249.

Dont believe the hype that Borders rearranged the "religion" section to put the Koran above all other religious texts. That was posted on this forum some time ago and it is simply not factual. I checked it out because I do a lot of business with Borders and this vicious rumor was not true. The Koran is on the third shelf in Santa Fe, the second shelf in NE Albuquerque, and on the lower shelf in NW Albuquerque. No attempt has been made to place this particular text on a "higher shelf" than the bible as was purported in the post here.

They told me no. Thanks though, Joe

Joe, the Cambridge is a much advanced study in all things meteoric...it does have a load of photos of thin-sections...but no where near as many meteorite photos as Haag's book; my favorite for pretty pictures...

fred

Thanks for the info Fred. I really like the pictures. The one on Amazon is $249 and the guy selling it said it doesn't have the CD. So, I probably won't be getting that one. Haags book and the Southwestern Collection of Meteorites seem to be the most "picture" oriented books I have found yet and I have both. Let me know if you guys know of any other "picture" oriented books out there. I especially enjoy the ones that show the outside of the meteorite with crust and then a polished slice of the inside. That would be a great book.....crust included photo of the outside, then a picture of a slice, then a picture of a thin section....complete with a write up of class, weight, how and where found, and value per gram at time of press. Did O Richard Norton really pass away? I love all of his books, what a shame...the Meteorite community has lost a real giant.

Joe