Nugget Shooter Forums

More desert sluiced gold

lotsa luck

Results from a few hours of sluicing on a new spot close to home. Good chunky gold but waaaay too much fine gold to try and clean up. I hate using mercury and normally don't even bother with the fines but in the case of this spot they need to be worked. Any reasonable ideas short of amalgamating from you guys? The picture doesn't do it justice and I'll try to take some micro shots later but the -100 mesh is just full of fine gold and I have a bucket of it to work out. This pic is after all magnetics were removed.

post-812-127084931218_thumb.gif

post-812-127084932452_thumb.gif

I love my Blue Bowl, it works really well for my fine stuff. It will cost you about 80 bucks, but well worth it.

Also, if you take more pics of what you have, you can create a business on Ebay or Craigs list selling your concentrates. But it looks like you have so much fine and talc, that a Blue Bowl, would grant you more money. You can put it on a 5 Gal bucket and with a small pump recirculate it very well.

http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/cobo.html

That is some nice gold even if it is very fine!!

Have you ever used a miller table?

A miller table is a cleanup sluice with a slate bed (old chalkboard if you can find one is great for this) or wood/metal bed (real slate works better) painted with chalkboard paint, get the angle right and with a smooth water flow only 1/16" to 1/8" or so deep and all the heavies with the exception of the gold will wash down the sluice the gold will stick to the slate surface, some older commercial grade miller tables had a few small shallow saw kerfs across the bed to help catch the finest gold, you use a paint brush to brush the fine gold closer together and use a snuffer bottle to suck up the gold, this can be done while the water is running.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of a miller table that the guy makes and sells, this miller table doesn't compare to the older commercial tables that I've seen, but it does a good job, this video will give you the idea behind the concept, but I would suggest building one they are not that hard to build.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nuggetbill#p/a/u/1/02mvPhVNGDE

Skip

Here is what I did to drastically improve my fine gold recovery.

Screen using 30 mesh, 80 mesh and 100.

Then use a magnet to pull out the magnetic black sand out of each one.

If you do it dry, go slow and drop the magnetics in a clean pan and pick back up a couple of times.

Pan the +30, it is big enough to pan easily.

Wet your concentrates before you put them in the Blue Bowel. Drop them in by the tablespoon just above the water stream.

Run the -30 , +80 by itself.

Then run the -80, +100

then the -100. The first time I did it I couldn't believe the amount of -100 gold!

Also put a few drops of Jet Dry in your water, so the fines don't float as easy.

The closer in size everything is, the better the recovery.

Randy CA

Here are some X400 power shots of the fines that did not get caught by the Blue Bowl after removing all magnetics and screening down to 100 mesh. This is all -100 mesh tailings and what still looked like black sands looks totally different now. All kinds of cool crystals of this and that.

A few little critters look suspiciously like Platinum to me also, what do you guys think?

post-812-127086484273_thumb.jpg

post-812-127086485355_thumb.jpg

post-812-127086488067_thumb.jpg

post-812-127086489283_thumb.jpg

I'll make one in the morning, that looks slow but better than a bowl. Looks like if perfectly level with a laminar water flow it just may work well enough to at least be an improvement.

Thanks

Let us know how it works for you, I find it a lot faster than a bowl, blue bowl or green bowl, everyone that I know that has used, or has a miller table will not go back to the "bowls".

Skip

Let us know how it works for you, I find it a lot faster than a bowl, blue bowl or green bowl, everyone that I know that has used, or has a miller table will not go back to the "bowls".

Skip

OK what did you photo the 400x grain stuff with ? I love how even tiny grains look lust like large nuggets when you blow them up to a visible size.

OK what did you photo the 400x grain stuff with ? I love how even tiny grains look lust like large nuggets when you blow them up to a visible size.

I borrowed a USB digital microscope for the shots. It also does video but in Windows 7 the videos will not transfer from the program. I hope to fix that soon.

Great looking pictures (and gold). When you are running the blue bowl, are you using a garden hose or small elect pump? Reason I ask is that a garden hose supply can cause some of what you are experiencing........

You could always resort to the old amalgamation method. Fast, easy, nothing to build and safe if done correct.

Sure is some gemmy looking crystals in that mix. Tourmaline , sapphire, Peridot....... would certainly be cool to get some of those in a much bigger size .

That silver looking piece looks like a shard of one of your metal tools, IE shovel, pick etc. But I don't know why a magnet did not pick it up?? If it was plat, would look more like a nugget

So what state are you in ? And do you have more details on your setup. ?Did you say your running a recirculating sluice ?

In AZ and the sluice design is custom (no details being given right now). Spent yesterday at a new spot and only found about 1 dwt until a 1/4 ouncer popped up. Didn't have my camera and it was my buddies nugget pick so he has it, when I get a pic i'll put it up, nothing real pretty just a blob.

In AZ and the sluice design is custom (no details being given right now). Spent yesterday at a new spot and only found about 1 dwt until a 1/4 ouncer popped up. Didn't have my camera and it was my buddies nugget pick so he has it, when I get a pic i'll put it up, nothing real pretty just a blob.

Just nice knowing there are still places with gold out there...

Results from a few hours of sluicing on a new spot close to home. Good chunky gold but waaaay too much fine gold to try and clean up. I hate using mercury and normally don't even bother with the fines but in the case of this spot they need to be worked. Any reasonable ideas short of amalgamating from you guys? The picture doesn't do it justice and I'll try to take some micro shots later but the -100 mesh is just full of fine gold and I have a bucket of it to work out. This pic is after all magnetics were removed.

Check this out, might help.

http://prospectingchannel.com/process-gold-concentrate.html

Take care,

Steve