Nugget Shooter Forums
EbonBetta

Question on the GMT.

I have a whites GMT and wondering if anybody can explaine how to use it to follow black sands.

I do not know for sure If it will help me to find denser areas of fine gold when I drywash but I am not sure on how to use it to follow the B/S.

I won't be able to hunt till august but I'm trying to learn as much as I can with the 100+ ways I have before I can get back out.

Try the Jimmy Sierra web site. He has a posted explaination there in one of his GMT questions. I have a GMT and love it, but I have never used that feature. Good luck, the GMT is a great machine. John

I've had a GMT since they came out but, have never found that particular feature useful. Not for finding gold in a dry desert environment, not for finding gold in a wet river or creekbank environment. Besides, IF you really want to track black sands deposits, the best tool for the job would be an old 1960's BFO (beat frequency ocillator) metal detector, which you should be able to get a garage sale for $5-$10.

Ben

Ben,

You and I think alike. Tracking black sand has never appeared on my list of things to do. I have always wondered about that feature.

I am in the market for a GMT to replace the GBII. Maybe I will track some black sand. I bet you never get skunked looking for black sand.

Regmaglitch, are you saying that doing so will not be useful. Or are you just saying that you have not considered trying it.

It was suggested to me to take a magnet and sample around with the magnet looking for locations with larger pieces, as well as higher concentrations of black sand.

I've used a GMT since they first came out and have used the "black sand feature" which is nothing more than observing the numbers on the left hand side of the meter screen and keeping your coil over the areas where the number is the highest...However, it is just as easy to visualize a heavy object traveling down the water course you're hunting...That will be the shortest path downstream at the highest water flow and generally will be where the gold is...You'll usually find that path is where the mineralization number is the highest as well...Sometimes a rock or rise of bedrock will create a "dead spot" on the side of this path and the gold (and black sand) will drop out behind it...Hope this helps....Cheers, Unc

Jim,

I may be a little old school on this subject but I have found over the years that a visual view works the best. Let me explain. If you have found a wash that has caught your attention, try to get up hill above the wash where you can see it's flow pattern. Study it, look for the small changes as well as the big. Draw a picture on a note pad and mark where the changes are. Use a landmark of some kind to help find the changes when you are in the wash. Once there use the metal detector to check the wash and its sides. Once you have decided where to start to dig, feather down from the bank to bedrock sampling as you go. With desert placers, gold runs at all levels or depths in a wash due to the flash flooding that goes on.

I hope this helps you a little, I know it has worked for over 50 years for me.

Ol'29er :olddude:

Hi Jim,

In any placer ground that I've worked, there seems to be just as much black sands in the barren matrix, as there is in the hotter pay gravel. I already know where the current high water line is, and I can see where the ancient high water line was. Don't need a detector to tell me I'm going to find a ton of black sand in a highly mineralized area. Unfortunately, that does not translate into pay streaks. If you're going to rely on the black sand concentrations, you're going to move a lot of sterile gravels for very little return. Just my two cents, maybe it has worked for you.

Hi Bob,

You're absolutely right. How much PER TON can I make mining black sand? No problem stockpiling a 30 year reserve. Any buyers?....................

Ben