Nugget Shooter Forums

As I've been pondering which metal detector will be my first, I've come to a conclusion. I have no idea. I think in my first topic 'First Time Meteorite Hunter' I wasn't asking the right questions because I and a million other people don't know any better. Even with the helpful and informative professional advice about choosing the right metal detector for hunting meteorites, I would get lost in a market full of "the best metal detectors". There are 100+ good quality detectors to choose from, and trying to sort out all the features and what works best for what type of treasure turns my brain to mush,and that's a small bowl. And, of course, they never seem to mention the ability to detect meteorites. So, I've decided to approach the topic from a different angle.

I and a million others would like to know which detectors the experienced meteorite hunters like to use and why. Maybe you've found that perfect detector that will find gold when you're not hunting space boulders in the desert. Or maybe there's a nice balance of technology out there that works for everything from meteorites to coins and jewelry, all in one sweet package. Whatever the case may be, I think this level of input from the seasoned hunters will provide valuable knowledge to those of us who are just getting started or even considering it. I can't think of a better way to narrow the field of choices. Well, I better stop here or I'll just start babbling. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all in advance. We look forward to reading about your experiences.

Dale

Dale if you can afford to purchase a minelab P.I. either new or used for your first machine and dedicate yourself to learning its characteristics it would be your best bet for gold and meteorites.

Any machine made specifically for gold will be killer on iron meteorites and most are great on "H" type meteorites. As Ruben said, metal detectors are a waste of time unless you are in a known strewn field (just like metal detectors are a waste of time if you are not in a nugget patch). Visually spotting them is the best way to cover ground and the only way to find a strewn field. I own three expensive machines and use a $4 magnet to find meteorites.

I have used a Whites GMII, Gold Bug, Gold Bug II, and Minelab PI to find meteorites and gold. I would not attempt to find either with a machine designed for treasure. I do find treasure with a machine designed for gold and meteortie hunting but it causes me to dig a lot of trash targets.

What does the forum think about a Whites beach hunter ID for meteorites?

Any machine made specifically for gold will be killer on iron meteorites and most are great on "H" type meteorites. As Ruben said, metal detectors are a waste of time unless you are in a known strewn field (just like metal detectors are a waste of time if you are not in a nugget patch). Visually spotting them is the best way to cover ground and the only way to find a strewn field. I own three expensive machines and use a $4 magnet to find meteorites.

I have used a Whites GMII, Gold Bug, Gold Bug II, and Minelab PI to find meteorites and gold. I would not attempt to find either with a machine designed for treasure. I do find treasure with a machine designed for gold and meteortie hunting but it causes me to dig a lot of trash targets.

What does the forum think about a Whites beach hunter ID for meteorites?

Also what technique do people use for estimating the distance and landing region for single witness Fire balls I have seen two in Florida in the last 8 months that had a long period of incandescence and very notable trailing fragments falling off behind the main body and I would love to go take a look, But where???? I have my location and a bearing but no second sighting report to attempt to triangulate.

The best detectors for highly mineralized areas of search are Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Minelabs SD2100 with sound boost and Li ion system.

The Gold Bug 2 is hot on low metal chondrites like L's. The GMT also does well with the L's but not as well as the Goldbug2 because of the Goldbugs higher frequency. These two are VLF machines so they do well on the high ferrous part of the spectrum of metals. The SD2100 or any pulse detector will be HOT on the iron in meteorites because pulse do well with the highly conductive part of the spectrum of metals. They work well with meteorites because of how conductive the Nickle is.

Depends on if you want to hunt for H's or L's and how much mineralization.

[Erik]

The best detectors for highly mineralized areas of search are Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Minelabs SD2100 with sound boost and Li ion system.

The Gold Bug 2 is hot on low metal chondrites like L's. The GMT also does well with the L's but not as well as the Goldbug2 because of the Goldbugs higher frequency. These two are VLF machines so they do well on the high ferrous part of the spectrum of metals. The SD2100 or any pulse detector will be HOT on the iron in meteorites because pulse do well with the highly conductive part of the spectrum of metals. They work well with meteorites because of how conductive the Nickle is.

Depends on if you want to hunt for H's or L's and how much mineralization.

[Erik]

You will have to excuse me I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to metal detectors, What category would the Whites BeachHunter ID fall into? This would be the model I currently own.

You will have to excuse me I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to metal detectors, What category would the Whites BeachHunter ID fall into? This would be the model I currently own.

It would most likely be in the coin and jewerly category.

When most others mention or use the wording "gold detector" generally they are refering to native or natural gold that we detect for here in the western U.S.

Don't misunderstand and think jewelry thats gold content yes but a different animal for detectors.

If your serious about hunting meteorites, the metal detectors made for hunting gold are the best (Fisher Gold Bug, White's Goldmaster, Minelab, etc.). This is because they operate at a higher frequency (19 - 72 khz) compared to coin detectors (2 - 7 khz). This higher frequency allows the detector to detect smaller pieces/quantities of metal at greater depth. Most Chondrites are low in iron/nickel. The gold machines also have ground balancing, which allows you to detect in highly mineralized ground in which most desert and gold areas have. Using these gold detectors and learning how to keep them balanced has a learning curve of about 50 - 100 hours. You will need to dig every signal at first, and you will soon learn to "hear" what the detector is telling you. They definitely aren't turn on and go, but once you master them, you will be on your way to finding your first meteorite! I would also recommend buying a "throw-down" (a ~30 gram L4 - L6 chondrite) meteorite to test and tune your metal detector.

You can pay the big bucks for one of the newer top of the line gold metal detectors, or you can do what I did, buy an older one off ebay or craigslist.org. I would recommend a White's Goldmaster 2 (~$250), Goldmaster V-SAT (~$300), or my preference a Goldmaster 3 (~$400).

Jim Kriegh discovered the Gold Basin Strewnfield with a Goldmaster 2!!! :wubu:

If your serious about hunting meteorites, the metal detectors made for hunting gold are the best (Fisher Gold Bug, White's Goldmaster, Minelab, etc.). This is because they operate at a higher frequency (19 - 72 khz) compared to coin detectors (2 - 7 khz). This higher frequency allows the detector to detect smaller pieces/quantities of metal at greater depth. Most Chondrites are low in iron/nickel. The gold machines also have ground balancing, which allows you to detect in highly mineralized ground in which most desert and gold areas have. Using these gold detectors and learning how to keep them balanced has a learning curve of about 50 - 100 hours. You will need to dig every signal at first, and you will soon learn to "hear" what the detector is telling you. They definitely aren't turn on and go, but once you master them, you will be on your way to finding your first meteorite! I would also recommend buying a "throw-down" (a ~30 gram L4 - L6 chondrite) meteorite to test and tune your metal detector.

You can pay the big bucks for one of the newer top of the line gold metal detectors, or you can do what I did, buy an older one off ebay or craigslist.org. I would recommend a White's Goldmaster 2 (~$250), Goldmaster V-SAT (~$300), or my preference a Goldmaster 3 (~$400).

Jim Kriegh discovered the Gold Basin Strewnfield with a Goldmaster 2!!! :wubu:

Thanks for the assistance. Do you guys suggest anyway I can compensate and make do with what I have for now? I know this machine has a ground balance adjustment. Also were there any thoughts on estimating fall locations from observed fire balls. I would gladly hand over my information for someone that would be willing to mentor me and get me started. I know here in Florida is not the optimum hunting grounds but my observations were relatively recient?????

We own a whites GMT and a 4B and like both of them. I definitely would say to buy one that has a manual ground balance on it. But if you are going to be out hunting for a new fall the last thing you will need is a metal detector. You just need a walking stick with a neodymium magnet on the end of it. I took my friend out to the Franconia strewn field a while back, he had his detector with him but ended up finding his first meteorite (260 grams) by eye and not with his $800 detector. Just do as much research as possible and even buy some meteorites off of ebay so you can hold them and get an idea of what you are looking for.

I definitely have to side with the GMT. I have tons of hours on my GMT and know it well. I also use a Minelab sd2200v2 to hunt for meteorites although I do not have near as many hours as on my GMT. The White's GMT was recommended by Ruben when I first started out. He also showed me how to ground balance it to the ground I was hunting. With time spent in the field you will master whatever machine you choose to use for your overall hunting.

Good luck and good hunting!

Dean

Whatever you decide...don't get a MineLab Etrac. The programming has been modified as such that it virtually eliminates hot rocks and won't even sound off on them in all metal. All though that would be advantageous in coin hunting, some meteorites Target ID like hot rocks and the Etrac will miss them.

That's good info Digitrich. Is anyone aware of problems with other high end detectors regarding hot rock elimination? I've been considering the MXT300 since it was designed with relics, coins and jewelry, and gold prospecting abilities.

Dale

That's good info Digitrich. Is anyone aware of problems with other high end detectors regarding hot rock elimination? I've been considering the MXT300 since it was designed with relics, coins and jewelry, and gold prospecting abilities.

Dale

Hi Dale..... it's me Dale! B)

There's ONLY one way to test a metal detector to see if it will hit on a meteorite.... test it with a real meteorite!!!

I have just posted some very reasonably priced unclassified L Chondrite meteorite throwdowns for sale in the classified section:

Meteorite Throwdowns

One of these throwdowns will eliminate any doubt as to weather a metal detector will find a meteorite!!! ;)

Are unclassified meteorites allowed in the classified section?

Bob,

I'm not a moderator on the classified forum section, but I would suggest, read the rules of the classified section, but I don't think it is a problem to sell meteorites, classified or unclassified in the classified section.

Skip

Bob,

I'm not a moderator on the classified forum section, but I would suggest, read the rules of the classified section, but I don't think it is a problem to sell meteorites, classified or unclassified in the classified section.

Skip

It was an attempt at being humorous. I apologize. The play of words was funny to me. I should have known better. It will never happen again.

Hey BOB I read yer post about an hour ago after being away from the forums all weekend and the first thing after reading it I got a laugh from it , Yeah I suggest others understand it was like a Dry Humor , like the English have, My dad had a sense of humor like that and I think I picked a little of it up myself, maybe thats why I understood it. I think thats what you meant ???? :unsure:

Are unclassified meteorites allowed in the classified section?

Even though my meteorites are unclassified, my meteorites have a lot of class!!! :yuk-yuk: :inocent:

No worries BB, I got the joke the first time. ;)

It was an attempt at being humorous. I apologize. The play of words was funny to me. I should have known better. It will never happen again.

Bob,

I get it!! :yuk-yuk: :yuk-yuk:

Sorry I had a long day yesterday, and I just replted to your post without even looking at VegasRocker's post DUH. :tisk-tisk: :shrug:

I promise to be more attentive next time!! :ROFL:

Skip

Skip,

N 35 25.155' x W 105 29.607'. Hell of a view there. Turkeys were working the new dandelions near a river that is fixing to explode from runoff. A nice rain coming down. The first liquid precipitation in seven months! Since last October it has only been ice and snow. A mild 50 degrees as the sun goes over the canyon rim and gives the whole scene a glow. A relaxing afternoon near the banks of the Pecos river. I left a shiny new nickel there in your honor!

You are allright Skip! Just some more humor!

Bob