Nugget Shooter Forums

Anyone have any info or experience with this new gold bug model? IE: better than GB2 or just a marketing thing? Cabela's is selling it for $499

First, though Cabelas may be advertising them, they wont be available until at least next month. I talked with the Fisher Rep at the GPAA show in Phoenix in February. He had a prototype one on display.

Its going to be called a gold bug pro. It will have roughly the same frequency as the old Gold Bug I - not the high frequency of the GBII.

So it will be not quite so sensetive to tiny gold, but maybe more forgiving of soil mineralization.

I think the intended market is newbie prospectors or prospectors who maybe own a PI already but want a second detector thats a VLF. THe one feature it has over the older Gold bug units is an automatic ground balance. Its not a tracking type system, but you press a button and it does a "ground grab" and sets the balance to reflect the ground at that point. It can then be adjusted manually, or you can do a ground grab as frequently as the ground mineralization merits.

Chris

Last weekend a new PCSC club member attended his first outing here in California with a brand new "BUG 3" that his wife recently purchased for him thru Cabellas. Amazingly, Robert nailed two nuggets at our Clark Claim [where it is considered a real event to successfully metal detect a nugget given all the hot rocks, trash and hammering over the years]. One was 2.6g -- the other a typical "fish scale" .1 grammer. Next day I used my Bug2 near the same spot and nailed a similar fish scale .1 grammer. I must say I am impressed with Robert's results and I am anxious to try the new Bug out first opportunity. Although Cabellas is calling it a Bug 3, Reno Chris is correct -- Fisher will not be calling it a Bug 3 once it is released generally. I hope it is different [and better] than the Fisher Goldstrike which came out 7 or 8 years ago. At least it will cost a lot less. I sold my Goldstrike after a year because it was just too darned slow to cover much ground [i.e., the cumbersome process of eliminating hot rock signals simply ate up too much time, whereas the Bug2 gives virtual instant gratification].

Hi all,

I was at Cabela's this morning, (Sunday), saw some of the guys looking a their metal detector

section, commenting how expensive those new Gold Bugs were.

Sure enough, there was a Gold Bug right there on the shelf, just like the one

at the gold show. It has quite a nice electroni buzzzzz...threshold, at least

the one at the Boise gold show did. Cabela's are in sealed boxes, so no demos there!

~LARGO~

Gerry McMillin sent me some photos of finds with the new GOLDBUG. Gold from 1 grain to what looked like mayby 2 grams/ also some coins. His price is $500 but he said Fisher will raise the price after the intro offer. I belive the test area was in the RYE PATCH Reseviore area..I would like to share the info and photos but they are Gerrys property ( Gerrys Detectors ) I hope when he returns from England he will let me try it out in the Custer County area where I live that is loaded with hotrocks that drive my GB2 nuts..........Idaho Al

Just might have to get one......... could be a very good skunk killer

G'day guys,

has anyone heard if the new Bug will get the 14" coil as well? Fisher website says that

an 11"DD coil is an option. I would imagine that this is an elliptical coil :hmmmmm: Anthing would have to be better than the BS 5" one you HAVE to buy with it. Seems incredibly dumb to get a tiny coil as standard :nutty: . Am I right in saying that this will be the first ever detector sold with an accessory coil as standard??????? Would be far smarter to sell it either as a package with both coils or the 11" alone. What does everyone else think? Is Cabelas still the only retailer selling these right now? Kellyco says to wait 2 weeks. Great price though :thumbsupanim Andy

Hey, have you seen the new Teknetics G2 that's set to be released next month? It looks to be the same beast as the Gold Bug 3 with maybe minor differences. 19khz also, and geared for nuggets as well as coins, jewelry and relics. This is reminiscent of the Teknetics T2 vs the Fisher F75.

Terry B

than the Fisher Goldstrike which came out 7 or 8 years ago. At least it will cost a lot less. I sold my Goldstrike after a year because it was just too darned slow to cover much ground [i.e., the cumbersome process of eliminating hot rock signals simply ate up too much time, whereas the Bug2 gives virtual instant gratification].

If I'm not mistaken- I think the Goldstrike was supposed to be the GB3 at that particular time. We tested a prototype up in Nevada back then and it got some really bad reviews. They decided to give it another name since it didn't come close to meeting the GB2 standards. It looked just like the Goldstrike.

Steve