Nugget Shooter Forums

LEAST EXPENSIVE METAL DETECTOR FOR GOLD

I'm new to gold prospecting and would like to try metal detecting. The problem is any detectors that seem like they are designed for gold detecting run in the $800 and up range. My price range is more around $300. This seems to only get you into the entry level coin and beach comer type detectors. Although they are not specifically designed for gold detecting would they still show a hit on shallow deposits of gold flake or small nuggets or would they be a complete waste of money. Also what would be considered the best entry level metal detector for gold and what kind of price range should I expect. I've looked at many sites and there are just to many choices if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. Thanks in advance for any advice.

There's plenty of good used brand name gold detectors on the market you can get thats within your price range. Look around for White's Goldmasters, Fisher Gold Bugs, and Minelab XT's. Regularly check the forums, Craigslist, eBay, your local detector shop, prospecting club newsletters, and the Pawn Shops. Sooner or later you'll find a good deal on something. You just have to be patient, have the cash and be ready to flip it anytime since good deals don't last long. Just remember common sense applies- if you find a deal thats too good to be true it probably is.

I scored an army green SD2100 for only $400 a little while back from a guy on Craigslist and it worked perfectly. He thought the detector was fried because the battery needed to be recharged! Just goes to show you theres deals out there to be had if your patient.

Good luck!

you should be able to find a used unit around that price range. I have seen some early Gold Bugs, and minelab 1800 around that price. Check your local pawns shops, yard sales, etc. Even some prospecting stores will have rental or discontinue models at reduced prices. Detectors pop up at some of the strangest places.

More Au to you, Robert

I believe White's has a low priced gold machine vlf GMZ, it has fewer controls & more factory presets. Sells for I think $499..

....Having fewer controls it would be less inteminating for a new prospector. Its a turn on and go machine.

I think it uses the same coils as the more expensive vlf GMT.

I agree with the others if you only have $300 a used machine is the way to go though.

wonderer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I picked up a Whites Goldmaster II for $240 shipped. I may have been better off spending the extra $70 or $100 dollars and getting a Goldmaster v/sat or a Fisher Gold bug but the price fit my budget and I'm pretty sure I could put it up on E-bay and come very close to breaking even when I am ready to upgrade. This detector looks as if it's only been out in the field a couple of times since it was new. I am looking forward to getting out in the field with it.