Nugget Shooter Forums

Tesoro Vaquero vs Lobo ST

carl9197

I am new to nugget searching, and also metal detecting, but I recently bought a Whites TDI to start the hobby. I want a second machine for gold but also silver and possibly jewelry. How much better is the Lobo than the Vaquero for this? I will be in Oregon, Nevada, and someday Australia. I want the second unit so I will have company to improve my odds with mountain lions.

I am new to nugget searching, and also metal detecting, but I recently bought a Whites TDI to start the hobby. I want a second machine for gold but also silver and possibly jewelry. How much better is the Lobo than the Vaquero for this? I will be in Oregon, Nevada, and someday Australia. I want the second unit so I will have company to improve my odds with mountain lions.

To be more specific, how is a VLF "gold machine" different than a regular VLF? Also, if anybody uses a Tesoro as well as a PI detector, is it hard to go back and forth between the two? I am hoping that they can complement each other and I could actually use both of them together to help identify a target, although I plan to dig a lot of junk. Thanks is advance to anyone who cares to answer my questions. I have learned a lot by reading this forum and plan to stick around for a long time.

I will be in Oregon, Nevada, and someday Australia. I want the second unit so I will have company to improve my odds with mountain lions.

carl19197, :wubu: :wubu: :wubu:

("improve my odds with mountain lions.")??? You going to beat them to death with you metal detectors......thats a rather expencive club. Think I'd want a gun. :inocent:

Steve H. on the Alaska forum gives yearly ratings on prospecting metal detectors, might be a good place to start.

+ theres a great forum on the Whites TDI. If I had a TDI I'd only want another machine as a backup...as its good on silver to.

wonderer

Wonderer, yeah I have been to the TDI forum and it is good, the issue is that I want a VLF second machine. Truth of the matter is I am bored because there is still too much snow where I want to go. Will probably get the Lobo ST unless I get more info.

YOU SAID...To be more specific, how is a VLF "gold machine" different than a regular VLF? Also, if anybody uses a Tesoro as well as a PI detector, is it hard to go back and forth between the two? I am hoping that they can complement each other and I could actually use both of them together to help identify a target, although I plan to dig a lot of junk. Thanks is advance to anyone who cares to answer my questions. I have learned a lot by reading this forum and plan to stick around for a long time.

A VLF gold specific detector generally works on a different frequency and it much more sensitive than a VLF standard or multipurpose detector.

It shouldn't be anything but "ROUTINE" to be able to switch between your P.I. and VLF machines, This of course would be the case if you knew both detectors well.

A VLF can sometimes be used to pinpoint a difficult to find target that a large coil P.I. has signaled.

Wellcome to Nuggetshooter forums.

Hi,

The Lobo ST works well with for general metal detecting (coins, relics, jewelry)....it has great discrimination ability like the Vaquero. It's strength over the Vaquero is that it is more sensitive to smaller nuggets, and has 'extreme' mineral settings for Alkalai and Black Sand conditons. The Lobo is easier to operate for someone who is just starting, as far as keeping the detector stable in high mineral conditions....compared to the Vaquero.

The Vaquero is more of a relic, coin, and jewelry detector...and can be used for ocassional gold prospecting, because it can be ground balanced manually (Lobo has automatic ground balance and tracking). This would be my #2 pick for prospecting, but not the best tool for the job.

If you look for gold nuggets most of the time, get the Lobo ST.

If you look for gold sometimes, but detect other targets more often (jewelry, etc), then get the Vaquero.

If you want me to send you a review by by Chris Gholson, let me know.

Regards,

Casey Stern @ Tesoro

Casey please tell Rusty B that John Oates said HI and the fixes on my detector worked RIGHTEOUS-tons a au 2 u 2 -John I've been using tesoro(and sold many 1,000's in the 80-90's) throughout the past 27+ years and NEVER a problem yet. Just for the record the fix was on a 26 year old Golden Sabre 2 that had well over 20,000 HARD hours on it--beach,relics,fall in the ocean,creeks,falling down cliffs and beat to death many a time. Like me--old and ugly but what a dream to run!!! :thumbsupanim

Casey please tell Rusty B that John Oates said HI and the fixes on my detector worked RIGHTEOUS-tons a au 2 u 2 -John I've been using tesoro(and sold many 1,000's in the 80-90's) throughout the past 27+ years and NEVER a problem yet. Just for the record the fix was on a 26 year old Golden Sabre 2 that had well over 20,000 HARD hours on it--beach,relics,fall in the ocean,creeks,falling down cliffs and beat to death many a time. Like me--old and ugly but what a dream to run!!! :thumbsupanim

Hi,

I will tell Rusty hi.... I am glad your equipment is still operating after 26 years, still under warranty.

--Casey

If I was in the market for a vlf machine the eureka gold will out perform any other. Honestly a second pi detector would be the proper choice. Ive had alot of vlf detectors and never found a nugget untill my first minelab (eureka gold) hope this helps. have fun keep posted.