Nugget Shooter Forums

Developer lays claim to more than gold in Oregon wilderness

Here is a newspaper article that some of you may be interested in reading. Surprisingly it is not as skewed as I expected. A few facts were screwed up and the reporter did not tell the full story. If you want a good laugh just read some of the comments.

Article

Someone... Haderly?? needs to tell those tree huggers about the Constitution and the rights granted to mining patents and claim ownership...... none of them know or understand a thing about how mining made this country.........

You guys GO GO GO

Really interesting article. Some very interesting comments as well, including the comment by the District Ranger regarding the lack of definitive research on the effects of dredging. Seems like much more of the same perception vs reality. I always laugh at comments that refer to "untouched" wilderness. Usually in the more remote area's you find more junk, albeit older, than the common swimming holes. Some of the massive gears and equipment I've come across makes me marvel at the type of men that had the grit to pack it in there.

Alot of the language is misleading as well. Comparing the amount of dirt dredged to equivalent dump truck loads gives the impression that dirt is actually being removed from the river. Also referring to a few small cabins as a Resort...Seriously?

The best part of the article though, was the story about the miner who splinted his own broken leg and kept on working. Talk about tough!

The area is definitely not untouched. Here is a link to some pictures of Emlly Camp on the Little Chetco if anyone is interested in seeing them. There are several different albums that you can click on and quite a few pictures of past mining relics within the wilderness area.

Hey HighPlainsSifter thanks for reading the article but unless you know Dave personally then you do not know his motives. He actually is not into it for the money. Very few people can afford to buy the claims he has bought. If they were not purchased by him then who would have them now? The Forest Service would love to have them. Dave is a small scale prospector that loves to spend time on his own claims but to have good claims and equipment you need money. He runs a small pay-to-mine operation to cover his costs but that is about all it does. He is one of the lucky few that made his money in development and now can afford to do what he wants.

Nope dont know him, so thanks for the info. I have to say the way the article was written, it does not paint him in the light you describe. The style of the article with that last line, was then perhaps to paint him in a bad light? Then again, there are a lot of liberals and skunk petters up there, so that follows.

Again, thanks for the info, I saved the link to that paper, so I'll try and keep up on it. I used to live in Beaverton, but I saw the light real quick and skeedaddled...

Oregon is one beautiful state and I would love to hit the Chetco sometime. A fishing rod in one hand and Gold Bug in the other...I still liked what I heard about Higgins though.

It sounds like Rutan wants to be another McCracken, "New 49'ers".

This is NOT what we need as small independent prospectors.

The Enviros & Bureaucrats will just use this as a new rallying cry to IMPOSE, DESTROY, and DEMONIZE placer miners and the 1872 Mining Act!

When you stick your head above the crowd like Rutan, it can get shot off! Just the phrase: "Real Estate Developer", puts Rutan in their gun sights. 25 miles of remote river being dredged is a real RED FLAG to enviros. And fighting the county, he will not win. Now politicians will jump on this, and propose strict actions against ALL

placer miners, Oregon and elsewhere!

We need to get our gold silently, stay under the radar for now, and try to organize around PLP, and form a huge interest group involving all outdoor users to lobby for our interests!

"If you wan't to know the intent, just look at the results"

Mr. Rutan has been an avid gold miner his entire life. There are no less than 16 untrue statements in the article so read the article with a very critical eye. Call Dave Rutan directly at Oregon Gold Trips to get the truth. Dave Rutan has done much for the mining community including allowing miners to prospect on his private property during many scheduled trips throughout the year. By staying "under the radar" you are easily trampled by the environmental extremists who are very well funded and have the government officials on their side. Look what just recently happened in California with the moratorium on suctions dredging. A passive mining community has been overrun by the environmentalist and tribes who only wish to promote their own agenda contrary to the silent majority. Call Mr. Rutan and work with him instead of "flying under the radar".

Dave has been running Wines Camp since 1995. He has owned claims in Washington before that. He has mined gold as a hobby since he was a kid. I'm not sure how much more experience you need to be considered a miner?