Nugget Shooter Forums

fulltime rving

Andy here- soon will be full time rving and moving to Az.was wondering since will not have a fixed address how do ya go about changing DL, plates, getting a po box, bank acct.ect.also was once told of a mail drop for full timers any one ever hear of it.the lady in this po told me in order to open a po box now your required to a an address and it has to match the one on DL.any answers would be greatly appreciated.thanks in advance

Congrats on your decision to fulltime in your RV. My wife and I have been on the road for 5 years in our 5th wheel and big truck. We spend our winters in the desert outside of Quartzsite, AZ.

We started with family forwarding our mail until it became a chore for them. We now use a service in SD, My Home Address in Emery. SD is very open on its residency rules. There are hundreds of services in SD and other fine states. One must look at all options and get the service you need. They got my license plates for both truck and trailer. They receive and forward our mail. I am registered to vote in that county as well. Only needed to get a DL when passing through the state.

There are plenty of posts and articles on fulltiming. Workamper.com has a forum with many of your questions answered. There are many fine blogs and webpages documenting this style of life, check out hitchitch.com for a partial listing.

Good luck in your new adventures.....

As a 'homie' from South Dakota, you should all know that the mail services that some are used to using for registration are going to have a tough time of it for actual non residents starting this year....Drivers licensing, registrations,etc. are going to need two pieces of ID, two letters mailed to your physical address, and a few more little goodies to happen..New changes mandated in Pierre....Seems there are some inaccuracies in many areas due to non residents and the impact on public utilities, surveys, schools, etc....Best check with your phoney mail drops soon ( I haven't a clue how they are going to enforce these changes, but..).....Gary

Andy here- soon will be full time rving and moving to Az.was wondering since will not have a fixed address how do ya go about changing DL, plates, getting a po box, bank acct.ect.also was once told of a mail drop for full timers any one ever hear of it.the lady in this po told me in order to open a po box now your required to a an address and it has to match the one on DL.any answers would be greatly appreciated.thanks in advance

I have been a fulltime RV'er for 2 years now. I still have my California DL and have lived in other states never changing it. Down here in AZ, I had no problem getting a PO box for 18 bucks (6months). I did get stopped by the Highway Patrol once a couple of months ago, because they ran the AZ plate and saw that the truck was registered in AZ to me, but they couldnt find a AZ DL.....once he saw my CA DL, he was fine and let me go.

Just like the enforcement of prospecting laws around the west, hassles may depend on who stops you. But being polite always gets me by...well that and being 25 year retired Law Enforcement myself helps.

Talking about the mail again though, I have found that the private mailboxes are now by law required to ask for the same type of identification that the Postal Service does and they cost more. Here is just one link for workkamping:

http://www.work-camping.com/

Hope this helps and welcome to the "wandering souls" group of Americans!

• 2 weeks later...

check out the Escapees RV Club in TX...taxes are good and they have a mail forwarding service for about 80 bucks,,

They are the about the best and have their own R/V parks, North Ranch in Stanton, is one of them, you can buy your ownlot or just camp, I have been a member for years , about 1983, my number is 2593, now they are up into the 100,000s. The main office is in Texas, here is the link:http://www.escapees.com/

Max

They are the about the best and have their own R/V parks, North Ranch in Stanton, is one of them, you can buy your ownlot or just camp, I have been a member for years , about 1983, my number is 2593, now they are up into the 100,000s. The main office is in Texas, here is the link:http://www.escapees.com/

Max

Yeah we have about 90 Escapees arivving in a few days here too.