Nugget Shooter Forums

A trip to UNM Meteorite Museum!

Last week I made a trip to the University of New Mexico Meteorite Museum to meet with Professor Carl B Agee. Carl Agee is the Director of the Institute of Meteoritics and Professor in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at the University of New Mexico and Museum Curator.

Mr Agee took some time out of his very busy schedule to meet with me. He looked at some finds and offered to show me the UNM collection of meteorites which are behind locked doors and away from public viewing.

Soon we were behind locked doors and looking at some of the sweetest meteorites I have ever seen! I have only seen pictures of most of the meteorites we looked at and handled. Meteorites such as a beautiful $220,000 Shergottite, Angrites, nakhlites, Lunar meteorites and many others. I also saw an amazing collection of Odessa Irons and also some amazing Norton county Aubrites! We spent a couple hours looking at this vast collection! What a great experience to actually see and handle every meteorite you can imagine! Carl had mentioned that most of this collection was acquired by Dr Lincoln LaPaz, founder of the Institute of Meteoritics!

A huge thanks to professor Carl Agee!

Dean

DSCF0112.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

What a great treat Dean.... :thumbsupanim Did you happen to talk to Professor Carl B Agee about his training program ??? They, I believe, offer a degree in Planetary Science which includes some meteoritics.. :eee:

jim "bones" :ROFL:

Dean, Looks like you had a great time! Man I would have been like a kid in a candy shop! Looks like you could hang out there for at least two days just checking out the meteorites. Great Pics, Thanks! Clifton

Quantumhigh, Homefire, Bones, Clifton, Ben and all who took a look.

Thanks all for the nice comments. I sure was like a kid in a candy store. I did not want to leave so they had to give me the boot out. Surely seeing and handling all those sweet meteorites will help with the hunts!

Thanks all.

Dean