Nugget Shooter Forums

Metal Detectors and Detecting

John B.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers land

Q: Can I surface collect for arrowheads or geodes? Can I dig for artifacts?

A: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has a responsibility for ensuring that properties of a cultural, historical, or traditional nature located on Corps lands are preserved and managed appropriately. Removal of any artifact, prehistoric or historic, from Federal lands is a violation of both Federal regulations and Federal law. Conviction for digging for artifacts can result in both substantial financial penalty which could be as much as a $250,000.00 and incarceration of up to five years. It is all of our responsibilities to ensure that the cultural resources present on Dale Hollow Lake are protected. To prevent the destruction of these sensitive resources and prevent possible prosecution, please leave any artifact found where you see it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Al,

From what I have been told and read the historical artifacts "TRASH" that you had with you when cited. Is only protected if its 50 years old or older. I would go to court and make the LEO prove this aspect of his case. I would also think that after a Judge hears your side of the story it would probly be dismissed.

Its worth a try and all you would be out is a little bit of your time.

Good luck!