Nugget Shooter Forums

My First Meteorite Find!

Hello all,

I'm proud to say that I finally found my first meteorite yesterday (2/26) in Gold Basin!!! My dad (VegasRocker) and I were about to turn the truck around after a looong day of finding nothing but hot rocks, bullets, and wire, but we decided to stop and detect for a little bit before we called it a day. Upon getting out of the truck, my dad proclaimed that he had a good feeling about this particular spot. I told him that we HAD to find a meteorite now. :yuk-yuk: About 150 feet away, this meteorite was waiting for me. It was buried about three inches below the soil, near a bush. I'm not only ecstatic because this is my first meteorite find, but also because she weighs in at 72 grams! I never would have dreamed of my first find being this big! :ROFL:

Here are some photos of the meteorite:

post-22861-126731582406_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731582611_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731582778_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731582989_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731583153_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731583314_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731583455_thumb.jpg

Cleaned up:

post-22861-126731583611_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731583764_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731583935_thumb.jpg post-22861-12673158496_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731585136_thumb.jpg post-22861-126731585326_thumb.jpg

This meteorite makes up for the five trips out to Gold Basin coming out empty handed. :yuk-yuk: I can hardly wait to get back out into the field and find me some more! :D

Happy hunting,

Jason

Hey Jason, congrats on your first GB find! It was nice meeting you and your dad out there. I'm glad you guys stuck to your own plan instead of coming with us. We came up empty handed while I was there Friday but I still had great time. Mike and I are planing on heading back to Franconia this coming week for a few days so will see what happens.

Take care,

Jimmy

Aloha Jason,

Very nice size specimen you go there. Great pics also. I bet you can hardly wait now to get back to the field.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on your first piece of the universe. That is such a cool-looking Gold Basin with lots of crust. You'll never forget your first meteorite. What a great time, what great memories. Yo G, those dudes on TV aint' got nuthin' on YOU, now you're a "Meteorite Man". Welcome to the fraternity of meteorite hunters - great fun, great finds, and great people.

Good Hunting, Ben

Hello Jason,

Job well done on your first ever space rock! She's a beaut! More meteorites are waiting for you. Very good photos to go with your first find! Good hunting to you and good luck on future adventures.

Dean

Thank you everyone for the kind words! It really means a lot! :D

I forgot to mention in my post that it was a pleasure to meet Curt, Frank, Jimmy, Mike, and Steve out there! Really nice guys. Can't wait to get back out there and find some more! Next weekend sounding good to anyone? :lol:

Happy hunting,

Jason

Jason, That is a great, large, and quite pretty first find!!! Way to go!!! Very nice pics too, keep it up! I look forward to see'n you and your dad out there. Congratulations! Clifton

Great find. I was out there on Friday and came up empty handed. I went to Franconia the next day and found two I will post as soon as I get the photos shot.

Hi Jason and All

Jason you need to go back and check the hole and surrounding ground slowly and patiently :idea: . It appears there is a chunk off of one end that is probably close by or in the hole :shrug: . Shove a magnet in the hole a stir it up a little :unsure: . You just might find it a few other small bits. I remember clearly my first ,what a thrill :huh: !! I'm certain my old partner Jim Kreigh is grinnin over your first find :) . Congrads :wubu: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Congratulations Jason......you made the family PROUD!!! :yuk-yuk: You should have heard him screaming....I thought he got bit by a snake or something!!!! :ROFL:

It was very cool seeing other forum members Frank, Curt, Jimmy, Steve and Mike out there. We actually stuck to our plan till about 3:30 and we were coming up empty handed. We then decided to try to catch up with you guys and headed towards the middle area of Gold Basin. We didn't see anyone, so we took Frank's good advice and started hunting in the hard hit area. Still coming up empty handed, we decided to call it a day. But as luck would have it, we took a wrong turn and ended up in the spot where Jason found his meteorite. B)

John B. thats some great advice!!! It was the end of the day and I know that my arms felt like spaghetti from swinging the detector all day. We did check the immediate area but we were tired and probably missed the other piece. We're heading back to Gold Basin on friday and we will have another look. ;)

It's funny that you mention Jim Kreigh grinnin over us. Jason and I always discuss what it must have been like for you Jim, and Twink to be out in Gold Basin discovering the first meteorites.... sometimes it does feel that he is looking over us while were out there!!! Although Jim is gone, he is definitely not forgotten!!!! I wish I could have met him.

It's funny that you mention Jim Kreigh grinnin over us. Jason and I always discuss what it must have been like for you Jim, and Twink to be out in Gold Basin discovering the first meteorites.... sometimes it does feel that he is looking over us while were out there!!! Although Jim is gone, he is definitely not forgotten!!!! I wish I could have met him.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Mr. Kreigh sure helped me out finding this great meteorite. His presence is felt very strong out there in Gold Basin.

Quantumhigh, moondog, windward, and John, thank you all for your comments. What an honor it is for one of the original discoverers of the Gold Basin Strewn Field to congratulate me on my find! :ROFL: It really means a lot!

Both my dad (VegasRocker) and I will be out there in Gold Basin tomorrow. We'll be in a red Chevy Colorado, if anybody wants to meet up.

Happy hunting!

Jason