Nugget Shooter Forums

New Member from the Dominican Republic

Jarabacoagold

Hello and welcome...So my first question; I had corresponded with someone on ebay selling gold and gold hunting trips in the DR what the gov'ts rules were regarding Americans doing what you are doing ( specifically, dredging and highbanking) He had no idea, and said they would check in to it with their 'lawyers'.Never got back to us...What's your take on the topic..?....I operate a 70' Tallship currently on the Eastern seaboard, and wintering in the DR would be o.k. My net is 35 tons, my gross is 46 tons..11 tons of room for mining equipment....Inquiring minds really want to know,mate. Thanks, Gary

Howdy Pirate, Wow, that sounds like fun being on that ship.As far as your question about the legal issues about prospecting here. We just mainly pan and some sluicing from time to time. As long as you keep a low profile, I don't think you would have a problem. Or if you had someone who owned the site, out away from prying eyes I think you would be OK. The only time we have ever been approached it was to give us information on where to find Gold.

Aye, matey..She's the most fun ship sailing on several oceans. But for travelling, rules of protocol are strict, and the customs guys are particular, and if we were outside the rules, they'd confiscate everything just upon arrival; possibly even the ship, so...even tho' we fly the black flag, we have to be one step ahead. I just haven't been able to get true legal answers to this without incriminating ourselves before we even sail...I'd really like to do it; what a kick the adventure would be.....Thanks again, and let me know if you hear anything else regarding the yellow stuff..Gary

We found some Larimar at one of the sites we work just outside of Bonoa. I found out that the mines aren't far from where I am now, I'm gonna take a trip sometime soon.

And for Pirate: Let me do some checking, What kind of operation and equipment are you talking about??? I have a friend here with 1000 acres, and some great spots for Gold. The only problem is to get to one of the sites its about a 2 hour hike. Rather rugged mountains and jungle. He does have a cabin there, so with mules, anything is possible. They did it in the 1800's in the west.

I'd need pack Llama's or a good truck....We're talking 2,3,4, and 6 inch suction dredges,highbankers, hand sluices...general run of the mill gas powered gold prospecting stuff...If it turns out to be legal, I'm sure there'll be a lot of US of A prospectors wantin' to crew!....As for the ship, well http://www.PrivateerInc.org or http://www.TheRoyaliste.com Otherwise, just Google 'pirate ship Royaliste' We were invited down that way by the Discovery Channel for some work regarding sunken pirate ships, but our price was too steep for them. Also, we only move at 5 knots or so, and they couldn't handle the month or so each way travel time..We've done several films here, but they get us really cheep that way....Keep me posted, and I'll do some looking into the regs...I'm needin' a trip south, as we've been in drydock for a year. On the treasure end, we've had a lot of fun with underwater detectors..Can't say much more as every state and country wants part of the action, or otherwise wants to jail you....No noose marks on my neck yet..

Jaracobagold; I tried the forum you recommended; darn unfriendly bunch of folks,mate...First, the moderator bumped my post and cancelled my acct., saying they thought it was spam and I was selling something...got that straight, and only received flak from there. Doesn't seem to be any real legal advice on it, just the spoutings of disgruntled forum members....For now I think we'll not spend any yankee frogskins on a trip to the DR, Cuba is more friendly, for hecks sake!.....Well, that's ok, not thinskinned, and you ARE welcome here....Gary

My first 'legal inquiry' as posted...

Laws regarding cannon and mining gear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! We live on and sail a 1700's replica privateer complete with black powder cannon. We also like to prospect with small scale mining gear for minerals. Small gas powered suction devices and sluices are the preferred methods. What, if any are the legalities of possessing and using said equipment by Americans in the DR, and of possession of said replica black powder cannon. As a person or persons arriving by boat, we are subject to slightly different customs treatment in many countries, so I'd like some information BEFORE sailing south to avoid any confiscation or trouble. This is a re-post, as our first try was deleted and acct. cancelled as 'spam'. We aren't selling anything, or offering any services. Thanks, Gary

From the DR1 legal forum, gold poster 'hillbilly' with 12,000 plus posts(talk about too much time on your hands)

Unless you "salute the flag" as you sail into harbor, you will probably not be bothered.

However, mining is strictly controlled here and you need permission to even prospect. So, with that in mind and knowing how proud you are to be Americans, I would suggest that you either find a lawyer to get you the permissions ahead of time, or forget all about it this trip.

Since black powder is also a "controlled substance" it had best be stored away real well....

You get no points for being American.

HB

Thank you, mate....Just trying to get some actual facts, not a bunch of hooey.....I'll try that site, as it's a ways off until end of summer, but we've the need for a plan in place before then as for wintering the ship over...I'd come your way, but Brazil's coast has claimed the fate of two of my fellow Tallships in recent past ( a week or so ago, actually). Concordia and Lord Jim.

Hey Pyrate, Sounds like you ran into the same forum cop that I did on there. He canceled mine to...I was just trying to see if anybody knew some good spots for prospecting. They finally let me start a thread on there that has generated a lot of interest about Gold. You'd think that would tell them people are interested huh. I'll do some checking, Like to have you come down.

Yep, you are right about that,but...without ranting too hard, nor wasting space on this forum with a history lesson, it smacks of tyranny,mate...And tyranny is why ships like Royaliste went to sea in the 1700's to fight against the largest navy in the world, England. Giving people a head's up on why we fight is the mission Royaliste has been sailing on since I refit her with a gundeck and an American flag. We generally hoist either the Sons of Liberty flag or the Grand Union. It's quite amazing to see how many of my own countrymen know so little about our own history; they just blindly nod their heads like dashboard dogs, and accept whatever is told them (much like the participants of that forum!)......end of rant for now,mate..good luck on your prospecting, and I'll keep posting there until they boot me off again.

Yar-Beee-Gar, mateys..enuff with the rain! too much free time on my hands...

• 1 month later...

Hey Jarabacoagold! Remember me from the gold panning threads at TreasureNet? How is that new home made sluice working out?

I know you where still mostly panning the last time...you weren't doing too bad I'd say...4-5 grams a day of gold, for mostly panning isn't too bad, in my opinion! If you get to finding ounces a day let me know, might come join the fun for a while. :whoope: