Nugget Shooter Forums

Interesting TV show coming soon - America's Gold

Hey I wanted to mention that there is an up coming television program the forum members would probably enjoy on the History channel next Tuesday, March 2nd at 9 pm. Its an episode of "How the Earth Was Made" a televison show on geology. This particular episode is called "America's Gold" and is about gold mining in America, but covers everything from the gold rushes of the 1800s to individual prospectors, on up to big mining operations. I spent a day with the film crew last June and they recorded me in a lot of different scenes, but who knows how much of that they actually used (I might be in it for 10 minutes or it might only be 10 seconds!). They also shot a bunch of footage at the famous 16 to 1 mine in Alleghany California, and out at the big mines in Nevada. Anyway, it should be interesting to watch.

Chris

post-187-126703092244_thumb.jpg

Great program. It explains a lot on how gold was formed in various locations. You did good Chris. At least you did not make a ass of yourself on TV as I always did. B)

Thanks for the heads up Chris. That was a must see for me. Very interesting stuff, I wish that it was more than an hour. Good luck out there. Looks like we will have to wait a little longer for the snow to melt this year in the high sierra. Take care.

Matt

Chris,

Good show, nice to see you back in action again but where in the world do you find the time to do this, geezzz can I have your job? :) :yuk-yuk:

All in all a great education for everyone. Those History Channel producers / rascals sure took some "liberties" with some of the cartoons or graphics on the astrological "peppering theory" of gold being deposited on earth from an explosion outside our doors. I say this Not from any religious holdings I may have, but my own knowledge of galaxys and the creation of planets within our solar system. I see this only as cosmic speculation and nothing definitive from a geological standpoint here on earth.

Yet.....

The show was very good beyond that hic-up from my point of view. It instilled in others to "look" first and if you find something that seems to be a bit abnormal, look deeper!

From my own readings in books I could now "see the vein structures" dipicted in film with the greenstone on both sides of the quartz vein to include some minor shale occurance. The extent of that one quartz vein in the backround or behind you in one segment of the show was unbelievable. I guess we all have an "idea" where that claim / property may be but..... :rolleyes::inocent:

Chris, thanks for the heads-up on the shows airing, I'm very glad I watched it. It shead a lot of light on the geological structures one could ignore during a "hunt".

Gary

Chris-

Very interesting program. I never would have thought about using geochemical means to sample and test the ground water for potential gold deposits. That was a very interesting setup he was using. 30 million ounces? :wubu:

I still want your autograph. :hahaha:

Steve

Congrats on the show Chris, I found it very interesting,The gyser at Gerlach was that fly geyser,thats the only one I know of over there and it sure has grown since the mid 70's when I went to school there.Anyway great program,and as John B said they should have let you advertise your book,I'm gettin the money together so I can get a copy soon.

Chris-

Very interesting program. I never would have thought about using geochemical means to sample and test the ground water for potential gold deposits. That was a very interesting setup he was using. 30 million ounces? :wubu:

I still want your autograph. :hahaha:

Steve

Awsome show, Thanks Chris for the heads up. That was pretty cool to see there are still some prospectors getting rich these days, but unfortunately its not us guys with gold pans and metal detectors anymore. I still like to see my gold when I find it though.

very interesting show and i enjoyed it very much, but wish it was longer [ 1 hour sure went by fast ]. congrads chris job well done. :):) ron

Well I am glad you all enjoyed it. My part was filmed this last Father's day - so it wasn't like I was going to be at work that Sunday. There was loads more that they filmed with me that wasnt used - I am sure it was the same with all the other guys as well. The big vein in the segment with me is a very famous vein, and yielded over one million ounces of gold in the early days, but not at that point, it was a few hundred yards to the east.

The 30 million ounces noted by the guy in the last segment was all hard rock - not placer.

I am sure it will be on several times in the coming month or two. They have a habit of showing a few recent shows and then one new one, so check the History channel, and especially for Tuesday nights.

It was a fun, interesting and unusual thing to do.

Chris

The 30 million ounces noted by the guy in the last segment was all hard rock - not placer.

Chris

Chris-

What do figure the mini drill - portalab truck combination cost? There's millions of acres that have yet to be explored and that's looks like a great opportunity for someone else. Of course there's probably other people doing the same thing besides him.

Steve