Nugget Shooter Forums

White's MXT and meteorite hunting.

I tried setting my new White's MXT in prospecting mode with some tips on another forum, and couldn't even get it to detect a fairly high metal content NWA. Any help on settings for this detector to find meteorites? I have the standard coil, and a deep elliptical coil. Help please?

Rocco

Hey Rocco,

I had a mxt when first looking for meteorites in gold basin, az. I sold it for a whites GMT. I have found quite a few meteorites with my mxt, I usually found the stock round coil to be the best coil to use on meteorites, and placed the detector prospecting mode, the gain to preset, I usually kept the Disc pretty low, around the 1 or 2 setting. Bring a test meteorite with you when hunting. You will notice a tone diffence between hot rocks and meteorites. Let me know if that helps... good luck Dave

Hey Rocco,

I had a mxt when first looking for meteorites in gold basin, az. I sold it for a whites GMT. I have found quite a few meteorites with my mxt, I usually found the stock round coil to be the best coil to use on meteorites, and placed the detector prospecting mode, the gain to preset, I usually kept the Disc pretty low, around the 1 or 2 setting. Bring a test meteorite with you when hunting. You will notice a tone diffence between hot rocks and meteorites. Let me know if that helps... good luck Dave

Thanks Dave! I will give that a shot, couldn't afford the GMT on an Army salary with a wife, 2 kids, bills, a cat, and a dog. I got the whole MXT package with the two coils, a carrying case, headphones, and other accessories in darn near new condition for a little less than $500, and I always wanted one for relic hunting here in NC. Meteorites are my favorite things to hunt, but the ground here is mineralized, and relic hunting is pretty good here.

Rocco,

I know what you mean about military salary, for what you guys do, and little pay, I really appreciate it, I did 3 tours in the 1st gulf war, and was an E-1 to E-5 while serving, and had a wife but only 1 kid, and it is tough on the pay back then.... The MXT is a great overall detector, especially relic hunting, I actually miss mine, and was thinking about getting another sometime. You got a good price for your MXT with all the accessories. Take Care. Dave

Rocco,

I know what you mean about military salary, for what you guys do, and little pay, I really appreciate it, I did 3 tours in the 1st gulf war, and was an E-1 to E-5 while serving, and had a wife but only 1 kid, and it is tough on the pay back then.... The MXT is a great overall detector, especially relic hunting, I actually miss mine, and was thinking about getting another sometime. You got a good price for your MXT with all the accessories. Take Care. Dave

Thanks again Dave. Yeah, the pay makes me wish I would've went to college instead... hahaha.

On the bright side, I got to hunt the deserts of Kuwait, and got 3 stones being looked at from those deserts.

Yeah I can't wait for the weather to get better, there were quite a few skirmish sites here, and Fayetteville(Where Fort Bragg is located)was founded by the Dutch in either the late 1600's or 1700's, can't remember. Also, the major roads here were actually paved over the old indian trade routes, so the hunting is fairly prime. I'd like to head up to the older portions of Virginia where alot of the first American cities were founded. I have seen some prizes pulled out on the internet over the years.

If you can think of any other good settings for low-metal chondrites and high metal chondrites, please post them here, I dont wanna walk over one. When I first took it out I used settings posted on a different forum, and the mineralization in the soil messed me up pretty bad, I got a reading of iron, foil, buckle, and button, over a piece of shrapnel buried in at about 7 inches.