Nugget Shooter Forums

Important info for meteorite hunters/collectors

Hi All

I've recently had several dealings with the mineral department at the Coronado National Forest service. While there a week ago or so I gave them a couple meteorites after we had a long discussion about them. They currently are of the opinion that as per some wording in the recently passed Omnibus bill all meteorites on all public lands are protected under an antiquities provision in that bill. I wasn't going to argue with these guys but they advised me they were contemplating citing Geoff Notkin one of my pals from The Meteorite Men for him taking his little find in the forest. Well I'm not sure where this is headed but I today submited to them a Notice of intent to collect meteorites within the boundary of the Coronado National Forest. I guess they sent an Email off to the higher arcky for a determination. One of the gentlemen in the Mineral division told me he would email me the wording they are refering to in this new legislation. If and when I get it I will post it here. From what these guys were saying not only is it illegal to collect meteorites on all public lands it's also illegal to possess them as well. It sounded to me like they were not allowing for any grandfathering. I kiddingly asked for a heads up before the raid on my house, they told me I'ld get 10 minutes max. I am and have always been of the opinion that the sale, trading, or bartering of meteorites collected on public lands was illegal. That opinion was expressed to Jim Kreigh and I many years ago during the U of A confrences with a slew of thier attorneys. There seemed to be some question on ownership on classified and or documented individuals that were returned to the finders after study and documenting. Meaning when the meteorites were returned to the finder and material retained for classifying and future study was adequate free title was given on those individuals only. I confirmed that with BLM several years ago when I asked them for a determination on collecting and ownership. It took a few weeks for the response from them but they were classed as rocks and collecting was allowed according to thier rules and regulations which restricks the finder from selling or trading his or her finds in thier lifetime. Well this may or may not be the answer to collecting meteorites on public lands a notice of intent letter ?? Here's the email they sent me.

I entered you email address incorrectly in the original

Richard Ahern

Minerals Program Manager

Coronado National Forest

300 W. Congress St., 6th floor

Tucson, Arizona 85701

Phone: (520) 388-8327

Cell: (520) 260-5053

Fax: (520) 388-8305

E-mail: rahern@fs.fed.us

----- Forwarded by Richard Ahern/R3/USDAFS on 02/22/2010 02:38 PM -----

Richard Ahern/R3/USDAFS

02/22/2010 02:37 PM

To Michael A Linden/R3/USDAFS, Mark E Schwab/R3/USDAFS

cc Karl Sandwell-Weiss/R3/USDAFS@FSNOTES, Charles A Blair/R3/USDAFS@FSNOTES, Beverley A Everson/R3/USDAFS@FSNOTES, jbgoldmaster.com

Subject NOI to collect Meteorites by private individuals

We are in receipt of a Notice of Intent to collect meteorites within the boundaries of the Coronado National Forest. from Mr. John B. of Vail, Arizona, apparently an unaffiliated private citizen.. The notice asserts that meteorites will be documented and turned over to an (unspecified) accredited meteoritic lab or university for testing and study. As proposed, the lab would retain a portion of the material and the balance would be returned to the finder.

What would be the proper response to this NOI which proposes to run for a ten year term?

Richard Ahern

Minerals Program Manager

Coronado National Forest

Tucson, Arizona 85701

Richard Ahern

Minerals Program Manager

Coronado National Forest

Tucson, Arizona 85701

Richard Ahern/R3/USDAFS

cc Karl Sandwell-Weiss/R3/USDAFS@FSNOTES, Charles A Blair/R3/USDAFS@FSNOTES, Beverley A Everson/R3/USDAFS@FSNOTES, jbgoldmaster.com

We are in receipt of a Notice of Intent to collect meteorites within the boundaries of the Coronado National Forest. from Mr. John B. of Vail, Arizona, apparently an unaffiliated private citizen.. The notice asserts that meteorites will be documented and turned over to an (unspecified) accredited meteoritic lab or university for testing and study. As proposed, the lab would retain a portion of the material and the balance would be returned to the finder.

What would be the proper response to this NOI which proposes to run for a ten year term?

Richard Ahern

Minerals Program Manager

Coronado National Forest

Tucson, Arizona 85701

Richard Ahern

Minerals Program Manager

Coronado National Forest

Tucson, Arizona 85701

Richard Ahern/R3/USDAFS

Richard Ahern

Minerals Program Manager

Coronado National Forest

Tucson, Arizona 85701