Nugget Shooter Forums

Good and Best GPS units to use?

Fishinbobo

I have been trying to do some searches and not finding anything about GPS units. So I am not real sure if I am not searching with the right words or not, so I am sorry if this has been covered in the past.

But my questions are... what would be good options for gps units? Is there a good "cheaper" unit that works pretty well? Or is that something that you need to pay more to get a quality unit? I am not in a good position to buy a real expensive gps, but would rather wait if I would be throwing my money away on a cheap one. So basically any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

Brian

Look for a used Delorme Earthmate PN 20 on ebay. There are 2 newer models out so you should get one at a good price.

I'd be leary of the Garmin Oregon series, unless you can try it out in the sun light and are happy w/ the display. Mine is hard to see in the outdoors. Looks great indoors where I looked at it before buying. Seems it has to do w/ the touchscreen.

Shep

Hey fishinbobo,

I have found garmin to be the best, with the most maps available flying, fishing, topo, and navigation. Depends on what your price range is, but a small cheap garmin vista Csx you can find on ebay for around $100- $150, for something better like shep's Oregon series is a few hundred with touchscreen, the newest is the garmin dakota series, in which you can use map views and aerial views.

Hey Shep, did you turn your display setting to the highest for daytime use.

Dave

Hey fishinbobo,

I have found garmin to be the best, with the most maps available flying, fishing, topo, and navigation. Depends on what your price range is, but a small cheap garmin vista Csx you can find on ebay for around $100- $150, for something better like shep's Oregon series is a few hundred with touchscreen, the newest is the garmin dakota series, in which you can use map views and aerial views.

Hey Shep, did you turn your display setting to the highest for daytime use.

Dave

I agree on Garmin. If you can the 60csx is the best but the Vista Csx is as good but smaller screen. If you don't need the compass that works while standing still the Vista Cs is great. What I mean is that all of them have a compass that works while you are walking and moving but you pay more to have the compass work without moving. Have tested and teach people how to use GPS units and can do just fine with the smaller units. Get color if you can and if you plan to do alot with it get a model that has the extra memory card. If you just go for a weekend or hunting trip the standard will do. Have flown many small aircraft cross country with a Vista. Retired and travel full time with 10000 mi's on my ATV in 3 years and am working to make trail trips and other ideas and find Garmin has all types of options in maps. trails, fishing, highways and all types of mounting gear for them. They will help you on any problem. Stay away from units like the colorado, oregon that works off the sceen. Have friend that works in GPS at Garmin. He explained why not to get these. Can't go into details but you will be better off with the buttons. Get Topo maps for the computer. You won't go wrong. Good luck.

Brian it depends on many factors...do you want the mapping features...weather forecast...

external antenna...rechargeable...12 volt and/or 110/220...how much are you willing to

pay...so when you ask a question like yours it's like asking which is better..Ford or

Chevy...everybody here is telling you the truth if your looking for a unit that will do

it all...on the other hand if you just want to mark areas to return to...or just get back

to the truck eBay has some really good buys right now...look at their Cobra 1000's...Bushnell

400...they both have a memory card and lots of features for a cheap price..I've been using

the Cobra 1000 for many years...big screen is it's best feature..worst is the AA batteries...

just last week I bought two of them on eBay for less than $75.00...also bought a Bushnell

400 for $85.00 and it has many features that I'll never use but it's a good unit and cheap..

has a Lithium rechargeable battery...12v and 110/220...MSRP is $550.00...good luck...don't

get lost without one...

Delorme Earthmate units hands down. Used em' all and by far they have the best and most accurate mapping. Not only are the maps the best they are the least expensive. I think its about $30.00 for unlimited downloads. Cant beat that.

DigDeep

Dave, yeah, the bulb is lit to the top. I even have it there inside. As I stated, it's got to do with the touch screen, as I found out from a GPS testsite. I have a Garmin 265 for the truck that is touch screen and is fine, even in the daylight, so I assumed :nutty:

Some may say, it works fine for them and that's great; I just recommend looking at one outdoors before purchasing.

Shep

DeLorne, got a special on the PN-30 going on now, less than $300.00. DeLorne unit can also use Navionic boating charts also.

More Au to you, Robert

Archived