Nugget Shooter Forums

Prospecting Find

Uncle Ron

Yo All...Found one of the best arrowheads I've ever located while out prospecting last week...Looks to me like it must have hit it's target, animal or human...yikes! ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-126678862321_thumb.jpg

Uncle Ron... WOW! one piece complete... have ou identified the tribe

and timeframe?

Hi Jim...I've been researching today and it appears to be Anasazi from between 1,250 to 2,200 years old...It does not seem to be a very common design...In fact I only found one similar one on the internet, which is the source I used for the aging guess...Cheers, Ron

Hi Unc

Thats a great find. Have never seen an artifact like it in this area. Could be very primative in nature. Here is one found just recently in your area. Maybe 10.000 years old and maybe Clovis. What a great find in the southwest you have there. And worth a fortune. The one on the right is the find in question, and have you ever found one like it. We are breaking new ground here and maybe on to the great finds in the Southwest.

Wayne

post-1528-126681713809_thumb.jpg

As a kid growing up on a farm in Eastern Oklahoma after a rain on a fresh plowed field

we would walk it and pick up great complete arrow heads...tomahawks...spears...and

scrapping stones..I had a shoe box running over with those type of artifacts and

one day some cousins came for a visit and I gave all of my stuff to them...never

saw the cousins again...I have a question...is it legal to pick up these items now?

Garimpo...I just learned yesterday while researching this point that you cannot collect most artifacts but that something called the "Carter Amendment" makes it legal to gather arrowheads/projectile points on the surface, provided they are not associated with an Indian grave. I understand that some govt. employees do not recognize the Carter Amendment, but, fact is, it's the law! ... It is legal to possess artifacts if they were inherited from family, providing they are not associated with Indian graves or graveyards....Cheers, Unc

PS...Here's the arrowhead exception to the Antiquities Act which is in Section 6:

(g) Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed

applicable to any person with respect to the removal of

arrowheads located on the surface of the ground.

Here's the link to the law: Antiquities Act

Thanks Unc for the update...next time I'm in Eastern Okla. Larry I'll try to find grand-ma's

old trunk with the metal bands across the top...hope they didn't bury grand-ma in it 40

years ago...but then that wouldn't hurt the arrow heads any...

As a kid growing up on an orange grove all the trees froze in the mid 80's and were then promptly burned and replanted. Very sad, but one positive thing was the whole grove was disked and as a youngster I got to walk around and find arrowheads. My great-grandfather found most of them, but I did find a handful, especially after a good rain. Most of them were broken due to the disking. It's always especially satisfying to find a complete arrowhead! Collecting is always permitted on private property with permission as well. I didn't know about the Carter Amendment, maybe I can try that one in UT, but I would have to be very careful with all the ruckus from those people who were grave robbing a little while ago.

Sweet looking point Ron. It's a San Pedro. Late Archaic, 2500- 1800 B.P. You lucky devil, going to the outback to get the really big nuggets. I'm wishing you all the luck in the world down there. I know that old 2100 of yours will sniff the yellow out for you. Hey Ron I have a 4500 that never comes out of my closet if you would like to use it on your trip. You are welcome to it. Happy hunting. AL.C

Thanks, Al, for the info you sent me and for the offer of the use of your 4500...It looks like my Aussie trip is being postponed...Have to go to Singapore instead for business...Bummed...But still hope to make it this year...Cheers, Unc