Nugget Shooter Forums

Auburn Confluence water level

wjbell

I was looking on Google Earth and saw this user photo of the American north and middle fork in Auburn. It was taken about this time of the year, I think in 08. If anyone's familiar with the area, does it do this every year? Jeez! You can see the cars parked along Old Foresthill rd. In the summer you walk maybe 100 feet down the hillside to the water from where your car is parked up there. That's a lot of water...

8322730.jpg

:*&$*(: In winter 88 I had a dredge in the water at Chinese Bar and it was a bobbn' like a cork after it broke the CHAIN tying it to shore. Only thing that kept it in place was the nozzle with a rock on it-my usual backup NEVER meant to be the only anchor. Never could figure out how it stayed. Lots of the SF boyz and Mokelume lost their 8-10" dredges and found only a few pieces. Never trust mothernature-John

Yeah, that's nuts. I've been wanting to drive up there and upstream on the Bear and American to see what the water levels are like. Last year late summer was my first year prospecting so I want to get an idea what the water does during the winter so I know where to look in the spring.

This year I'm hittin' it early spring as soon as the water drops :rasberry: , want to get some gold in that sluce for a change.. :thumbsupanim

Yeah, that's nuts. I've been wanting to drive up there and upstream on the Bear and American to see what the water levels are like. Last year late summer was my first year prospecting so I want to get an idea what the water does during the winter so I know where to look in the spring.

This year I'm hittin' it early spring as soon as the water drops :rasberry: , want to get some gold in that sluce for a change.. :thumbsupanim

You can sluice right now. The water levels are still pretty low and unless we get alot more rain and snow pack, we're not gonna see much of a high water situation in the spring I don't think.

As a tip, many rivers have monitoring stations that you can access online. You can view graphs for CFS and river stage which can be pretty useful information. Here's a graph of the Yuba River for the past 360 days.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=7528&end=02%2F17%2F2010+22%3A43&geom=medium&interval=360&cookies=cdec01

Notice in May the river had a huge surge for a 2 day period beyond any winter event. I went down there a week later and the river bed had changed pretty dramatically.

:thumbsupanim Gold is 1,000's a times better between Purdone Crossing and Nelson on the SF Yuba in BLM rec area. Yuba Goldfields ancient channel crosses through the river at this spot and replenishes--a little-every year and the levels fluxuate righteously. You'll never waste your time again on the american/bear and a few minutes outa Nevada City outta town offa Brunswick to purdone road-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :brows:

:thumbsupanim Gold is 1,000's a times better between Purdone Crossing and Nelson on the SF Yuba in BLM rec area. Yuba Goldfields ancient channel crosses through the river at this spot and replenishes--a little-every year and the levels fluxuate righteously. You'll never waste your time again on the american/bear and a few minutes outa Nevada City outta town offa Brunswick to purdone road-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :brows:

I agree with you John, the South Yuba is great for gold. I prefer the area about 3-4 miles upstream of edwards crossing. You get away from all the hippies and rarely see anyone in fact. The access road I use isn't so great in the winter though unfortunately.

I've heard this from a few people. But I called I think it was the rangers for the S Yuba and he said the only areas not claimed were at the three crossings. Can you give me some locations? I don't want to be working someone elses claim and would like to say clear of any hippy freaks if possible ;)

Thanks for the map. According to that map there's only one claim upstream of humbug creek, but when I talked to the rangers or whatever they are down at the bridgeport office (I think that's where I ended up calling) they said that river is all claimed up.

Fyi, those rangers don't know crap. The area immediately around the bridges is State park land and the rangers you are talking to are State park employees. The area between the bridges is all BLM (federal) land, and it all has been closed to mineral entry ( meaning you cant stake a claim ) for a long time. The one mining claim above humbug was staked back in the 1950's and is grandfathered in. You can pan and sluice with hand tools on all the BLM land between the bridges.

Ok thanks guys. Yeah they were state rangers, I remember them talking about a few hundred feet on either side of the bridges.

I might try around Edwards crossing first. I'm guessing it's not hands and pan on BLM land, I can probably use a shovel?

Just don't want to go into weirdo or hippy territory. I was scouting out some new places last year downstream of the no hands bridge on the American. Luckily I ran into a guy walking the trails that saw my gold stuff and wondered if I new the area. When I told him no he informed me where I was headed was called "gay beach". Well, he used a different word. ;) Supposedly, it not uncommon to see nekid gay dudes running around. :hmmmmm: I decided maybe upstream was a better place that day...

Both perdon and edwards crossing is basically a "clothing optional" hippie hangout in the summer. I would say most are friendly and won't bother you but any time you have a popular wilderness area you will attract some unscrupulous individuals looking to cause trouble. I would hike at least 1/2 mile away from the bridges if you're going during the summer.

:zapped: look into my eyes and believe the lazy arse bureauratz lies :yikes: party on and have a ball and post gold to the world!!John :brows:

That picture is of a MAJOR FLOOD!! Probably, January of 1998

Purdon Crossing Road is one MO FO out of Nevada City! Real bumpy, and you need high clearance to make it. Try coming in from the north side of bridge. I hear thats easier.

I have worked just above Edwards Crossing bridge many times. Its really best for sniping, so bring crevass tools and a stick. Below the bridge is mainly for floating and swimming....some gold.

The HIPPIES wont bother you! They are for peace and love. Mainly they want your 14 year old daughter! Its the DRUNKS and skinheads you need to watch out for, but they chased most of the drunks out of the area years ago. There are break-ins to the parked cars at the bridge, so dont leave anything valuable in sight within your car.

You might encounter NUDISTS along the river. No problem! They just want to show off their wares. hehe

Cool, can't wait to make my first trip! I want pounds of gold! I'll even settle for a couple ounces. :thumbsupanim Anyone know if the road to Edwards is any worse that the one to Yankee Jims bridge over the American? I've been to Yankee's from both sides. The side from Foresthill rd is a bi*ch! It's so rutted and bumpy it's like 2 mph all the way down. I have a 2WD but it's a Dodge Cummins 2500 so I usually don't have any problems.

Someone said it's ok to go now but I'm sure the waters a little high, fast and cold right now. Is there a general time most people start going out?

Cool, can't wait to make my first trip! I want pounds of gold! I'll even settle for a couple ounces. :thumbsupanim Anyone know if the road to Edwards is any worse that the one to Yankee Jims bridge over the American? I've been to Yankee's from both sides. The side from Foresthill rd is a bi*ch! It's so rutted and bumpy it's like 2 mph all the way down. I have a 2WD but it's a Dodge Cummins 2500 so I usually don't have any problems.

Someone said it's ok to go now but I'm sure the waters a little high, fast and cold right now. Is there a general time most people start going out?

The road from Nevada City to the bridge at Edwards is paved, and no problem! Just dont go during or a few days after a heavy rain, there could be boulders coming down.

All reports I have are the rivers are lower than normal right now(Feb.20) .

Dont expect pounds of gold! Thats just B.S. If that were true, the river would be wall to wall with miners, Its all flood gold coming down the river from Humbug Creek left over from the hydraulickers in the 1800's. Yes, you may find pickers in the deeper crevases, but for now, you will only be able to work the shallows for fine gold.

Work from the bridge on upstream, until the claims start. The gold does replenish the gold, but only during big floods, which we havent had since '98. Be prepared for cold, fast water-wear long gloves, Hodgkins suit or wet/dry suit. Its BLM land so you can sluice, pan, snipe. Sniping is where its at! Be happy with a few dwt.

The road from Nevada City to the bridge at Edwards is paved, and no problem! Just dont go during or a few days after a heavy rain, there could be boulders coming down.

Dont expect pounds of gold! Thats just B.S. If that were true, the river would be wall to wall with miners, Its all flood gold coming down the river from Humbug Creek left over from the hydraulickers in the 1800's. Yes, you may find pickers in the deeper crevases, but for now, you will only be able to work the shallows for fine gold.

Work from the bridge on upstream, until the claims start. The gold does replenish the gold, but only during big floods, which we havent had since '98. Be prepared for cold, fast water-wear long gloves, Hodgkins suit or wet/dry suit. Its BLM land so you can sluice, pan, snipe. Sniping is where its at! Be happy with a few dwt.

EXCUUUUUSE ME?????

Bedrock Bubba,

If you haven't found pounds of gold in a certain spot it doesn't mean it's BS that someone else hasn't found pounds of gold in that spot in the past, it would be hard for you to judge what someone else has found, when someone finds pounds of gold that gold is no longer there for you to find it, so it isn't right to say it wasn't found in that spot in the past, and it still maybe possible to find a crevice or hole that is still holding some good gold.

Skip

In 1995/6/7 we could dredge and yes pounds & pounds BUT(always that stinkn'caveat) you must have a BIG winch to move them monster boulders in the river. The Yuba channel is the worlds richest and hiking is a requirement BUT(yet again) the old miners saying especially in this instance is --go where no man has gone before(or very few), where the access is NASTY and you'll be richly rewarded. These are YOUR lands and I truly hope you find POUNDS like we have in the past-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :brows:

You folks are really making me miss my dredging days on the Yuba in the late 70's.

And yes, pounds of gold is not only possible but has been done quite a few times

by people who take the time and put in the energy to do the work; and it is work.

I personally have seen over two and a half pounds of gold found by a guy in one three hour stretch

sniping with nothing more than a mask and snorkel, a small crowbar, tweezers

and a little bottle which he didn't use, he stuffed the nuggets in his wetsuit sleeve.

Now obviously this is a rarity and as someone said if it were the norm you couldn't get

near those rivers, but it happens.

I still have a five inch dredge in start-up condition stored in Mariposa waiting for

the day when I can get myself up to the river again.

You guys who live in the area are luckier than you know, take it from a flatlander who

has tried for years to get enough time to get to your area...

Best of luck to all of you,

Flak

Yup,

The area I dredged was a few miles up from the Edwards crossing and a genuine bitch to get a dredge into. It took two of us one and a half very hard days to move a 5" into the spot.......... a very steep 40 minute hike carrying nothing! You could dip a pan almost anywhere and find gold!