Nugget Shooter Forums

Basalt blues...

Seeking advice on how best to deal with the magnetized basalt bits that litter the Franconia field. GMT is excellent machine, but I just haven't figured how to pluck the spacerocks from the basalt. Thanks for help.

That's a cool avatar photo you go tthere billyjoe. Are you ariborne as well?

Airborne, Yes. Last jump training cycle to go thru Ft Bragg; 82d ABN, Apr 1960. Now I'm just happy when my knees get me back to the pick-up. Cheers!

Airborne, Yes. Last jump training cycle to go thru Ft Bragg; 82d ABN, Apr 1960. Now I'm just happy when my knees get me back to the pick-up. Cheers!

Im still at the 82d, and I'm still on jump status. Just jumped Sicily 2 weeks ago. As long as it's not Luzon or Holland DZ it's always a decent jump for me, unless I land on the FLA. :olddude:

Im still at the 82d, and I'm still on jump status. Just jumped Sicily 2 weeks ago. As long as it's not Luzon or Holland DZ it's always a decent jump for me, unless I land on the FLA. :olddude:

Still get those wicked groundwinds on Sicily? Real butt-kicker. I owe my life to a young Buck Sgt who managed to reach my risers - after a long drag. Made bad PLF & head not clear enough to respond. Ah, the good ole' days.

Still get those wicked groundwinds on Sicily? Real butt-kicker. I owe my life to a young Buck Sgt who managed to reach my risers - after a long drag. Made bad PLF & head not clear enough to respond. Ah, the good ole' days.

We sure do. In fact, we have one of my NCO's lose his helmet on exit and slam his head on the DZ so hard he thought he was still in Iraq and couldn't remember who the president was. I had a perfect exit, perfect PLF, and Perfect slip for the first jump ever. I always land feet ass head, or my risers are twisted.

Hi Billy Joe

I'm no expert with the GMT but try turning your gain (Sensativity) down. and put it in manual ground balance. You should start to loose some of the basalt then only dig the screamers or crisper targets. Happy Huntin John B.

Advice from Stan & John makes perfect sense...appreciate the heads-up.

My brother & I were priviledged to meet John Wulff on Franconia field. He was kind enough to share some expertise. He scattered some of his finds, then checked the tuning on our GMTs. Sure enough, the signal from "the real article" sang out a little different than magnetized basalt. Unfortunately, this was toward the end of our trip, so did not have time to memorize signal difference. Sounds like repetition is the key to getting meteorite tone "imprinted" on brain.

My 'test piece' was a BB shot of lead stuck in a plastic probe, so could stick in ground. This proved to work very good in goldfields, but will need to follow Kaimi's advice (use real specimen) in order to "get it down pat" on the strewnfield. We are shooting for April timeframe, likely return to Franconia, although Gold Basin is under consideration. Paleface suggested that Franconia terrain was a little easier to cover. All these little bits of info mean a lot, since we are on the spacerock learning curve. Thanks to all - hope see you in the field.