Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bunk

Dredge Power Requirments

I have seen some people trying to dredge with some pretty small pumps and motors lately. Just what does it take to run a dredge with a suction nozel? Lets say, 2", 2,5",and 3". Thanks, Bunk

Hi Bunk...don't know about those sizes but I run my dredge with two(2) 5.5 HP Honda's...

several times I've had 30 feet of 5" suction hose out and still got good water/gravel

flow...once I was in heavy gravel about 20 feet down and overloaded the hose...what a

bitch to unclog...

There are many variables here. altitude you plan on running makes a difference...... more altitude= less HP so use the largest motor in the general HP range, total lift of material makes a difference as well as the pump design. I have dredged above 6000' and little one lungers suffer! I am also assuming no use of air compressor.....

2": 2-2.5hp

2.5": 3-4 hp

3": 4-5 hp

If John Adams or Hoser John see this, they are the real experts

:arrowheadsmiley: I SUCK--and i'm proud of it--GRAVEL THAT IS :yuk-yuk: . eL d GOT IT AS GOOD AS ANYONE EVER WILL,AS USUAL. aLL i CAN ADD IS DIFFERENT MFG HAVE DIFFERING REQUIREMENTS FOR THEIR JETS AND SUCTION NOZZLES oops sorry. Different mfgrs have differnt requirements for their jets and suction nozzles but not by much. Tinker toys 2 1/2 down can run with trash.semi solid type pumps BUT neck down at the jet and not the pump to prevent cavitation. I always suggest more pump than you need as nothing is worse than packn' in and your pump does not go fast enough/big enough to get the job done as too big can always turn down and get righteous mileage on your gas. A bear munched the 2 1/2 horse so necked down a 5hp P180 from 2"-to 1" and idles to run that 2 1/2". Covered in panther pisssssss to detur them bearz-tons a au 2 u -John

:arrowheadsmiley: I SUCK--and i'm proud of it--GRAVEL THAT IS :yuk-yuk: . eL d GOT IT AS GOOD AS ANYONE EVER WILL,AS USUAL. aLL i CAN ADD IS DIFFERENT MFG HAVE DIFFERING REQUIREMENTS FOR THEIR JETS AND SUCTION NOZZLES oops sorry. Different mfgrs have differnt requirements for their jets and suction nozzles but not by much. Tinker toys 2 1/2 down can run with trash.semi solid type pumps BUT neck down at the jet and not the pump to prevent cavitation. I always suggest more pump than you need as nothing is worse than packn' in and your pump does not go fast enough/big enough to get the job done as too big can always turn down and get righteous mileage on your gas. A bear munched the 2 1/2 horse so necked down a 5hp P180 from 2"-to 1" and idles to run that 2 1/2". Covered in panther pisssssss to detur them bearz-tons a au 2 u -John

Thanks John and Steve! As I have gotten older and with Ca putting a halt to dredging, I am sure it is only a matter or time and all that non sense will be here in AZ. I am thinking I would like to go dredging one more time! Lots of water here right now, have not seen it this wet for years! I have a high banker that put together so I will only need a pump and hoses.

I would like to find something used in the 5hp range, with air or capable to add later. If anyone knows where I can find such an animal, let me know. Again, thanks a bunch!

Bunk

:angry-smiley-010[1]: yes the cancer is spreading to 3 other states already-sic sic sic--just highbank with your dredge and your good to go-John :twocents:

I had an idea last night of making a mini bucket line dredge that would be towed behind a ATV. The material would run dry into a grizzly then through a blower to float off the light stuff. Have any of you heard of suck a cool contraption...I can picture it in my mind.

At PESCO,in dayz of old,we made gangbanger production drywashers for desert use. Essentially 3-4 drywashers fed off a common classifier and backhoe fed and easily towable. The horsepower requirements differ from state to state and desert to desert and (sic sic) week to week so keep the hp under 8hp(EZ 2 do) to satiate the BLM-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Bunk...I'm dredging all around the desert right now with all the rain....Using a 2" and a 3"...I'm still only finding spec sized gold with an occaisional flake or two, but it sure is a kick!...(might be the desert, but the water's pretty cold,still)....Looking for a better spot all the time...Holler if ya wanna take along, me 'n the dog are lone wolfin' it... I'm near Wickenburg at present...