Nugget Shooter Forums

deep water pole detector?

dirty ike

Hey guys it's dirty ike the newbee: Got some technical stuff to ask but need to explain what i'm up to first. About 30 years ago i was in a really remote high mountain valley with a small stream running through it and found a bit of color with a pan . Never pursued it though because of the location, and the gold just wasn'

t worth that much then and getting in or out was 2 day hard hike 30 years ago. I did notice on my way down the canyon there were 3 cistern type holes carved out of the bedrock in the center of the stream. These appear to be close to 15 feet deep and about 8 to 10 feet across. What im going to do is go back this summer and check this out with a metal detector and then go from there. What im thinking is a coil mounted on a fiber glass rod 20 ft in length so i can detect the bottom of the holes. Will also have a fishing camera with me that will mount on the same pole. What i need to know is if the coil is really water proof and if the added length of the coil cord to the control box will have an adverse effect on the detector. Iv'e asked this question to the manufacturer also but would like to hear from the guys who are in the field and detecting regularly. Would really like your thoughts on this . OH the detector i have is a lobo st 11 inch dd coil. Can't afford the minelab at this point.

Thanks Dirty Ike

dirty ike...you should pick up the telephone and call Tesoro Detectors...at this point in

time I'm not aware of them having a water proof coil but I could be wrong...ask them if

they have a smaller mono coil and if they would put you a 25 or 30 foot cord on it..depends on

how close you want to stand to the edge of that 20' hole...I'm sure a longer cord is going

to have some effect on the detector but only the manufacture re would know for sure...if

they don't have a waterproof coil and they are willing to put the long cord on then you

could cover the entire coil in epoxy without any gaps and hope it's waterproof...hope you find

good gold....then take some SCRBA diving lessons....

Ike

I too needed a long detector on a treasure hunt for looking under and into those snake infested ledges. As you see in the photo I used a small coil with a long cord attached to a 10" shaft. I just bought extra shaft pieces and put them together. For this hunt I would have someone make a 12 ft. coil wire extension. Water proof the coil by placing a heavy plastic bag over it. Twist the bag tightly around the coil wire and seal it with water proof duct tape. For the cable to cable conection use the tape to water proof it. Make your shaft extension out of PCV pipe. To attach the coil to the PCV pipe Cut a 6 inch piece off and attach it to the coil. You place this in the bag before you seal it. Use duct tape to attach the short coil rod to the long one over the sealed bag. You see this is why my wife calls me the king of the gigger rig. All you need to buy is a coil wire extension, some duct tape.

post-384-126564750493_thumb.jpg

Thanks this is very interesting. Not sure what a sistern hole is. My guess though would be if it is in the stream bed that theres alot of gravel in it and the gold if any might be down a little bit.

My question is if your detector goes off what then??? Are you prepared to dive for it or haul a dredge in?

Is there 15' of water in it? I would think id want to try and snipe the stream really close on some bedrock before i shelled out $150 for a coil id probably never use again. I can see you detecting with the cord wrapped all the way up the detector, up one arm and then down the other and back to the detector, lol.

Thanks this is very interesting. Not sure what a sistern hole is. My guess though would be if it is in the stream bed that theres alot of gravel in it and the gold if any might be down a little bit.

My question is if your detector goes off what then??? Are you prepared to dive for it or haul a dredge in?

Is there 15' of water in it? I would think id want to try and snipe the stream really close on some bedrock before i shelled out $150 for a coil id probably never use again. I can see you detecting with the cord wrapped all the way up the detector, up one arm and then down the other and back to the detector, lol.

Hell, I would build a Air Lift and suck the bottom up to me.

:inocent:

ike....homefire is pretty close to being right...if the stream is knee deep or more that

would be enough water to support a 5" or 6" suction dredge...15' of hose wouldn't be a

problem and then just dredge all of the material in the hole...several times I've had 30'

feet of 5" hose on my 5" dredge and was working in 20-25 feet of water...another idea

would be to use the motor and air compressor off of a dredge ...mounted on a tube float

put on a regulator and mask and go down to eyeball what's down there....

Problem with using a VLF or even a PI is there probably is a serious amount of overburden in the hole.. plus most deep holes that are not compacted have beat/ground the gold into dust........... Before trying anything out of the box, see if crevices in the bedrock are holding anything worthwhile........

hey guys: These holes are carved out of the bedrock straight down and you can stand with your toes over the edge if you want. The last time i was there the water was about 6 inches deep running over the holes and you can.t see the bottom of 2 of the holes.The rock is terreced above the holes so i assume that the water dropped straight down into each one at an earlier period. There would bo more than enough water to run a dredge but this is really remote and the access is very difficult-- 26 miles walk or ride from the nearest road and then about 3 miles of uphill that a goat would think twice about. I've hunted this area my whole life and if there was an easyer way in i would know---theres not. So everything you take in is on your back, if i get a signal with the detector i do have a plan. I have a small gas motor and compressor thats portable and a close friend who is about a half a bubble out of plump and i'm pretty sure i can get him to dive the holes by just telling him---YOU DON'T HAVE A HAIR ON YOUR ASS-- i figure he will be wet before i get the sentence out--it's worked before. Don't worry i can tie a rope to whatever appendage is handy and yard him back to the surface if the need should arrise.

I did send an email to tesoro about the cable extension and whether or not it would work and have'nt recieved a reply yet and the owners manual for the detector says the coil is waterproof-- but to what depth. Just want to here your thoughts on this--good or bad. Dirty Ike

hey guys: These holes are carved out of the bedrock straight down and you can stand with your toes over the edge if you want. The last time i was there the water was about 6 inches deep running over the holes and you can.t see the bottom of 2 of the holes.The rock is terreced above the holes so i assume that the water dropped straight down into each one at an earlier period. There would bo more than enough water to run a dredge but this is really remote and the access is very difficult-- 26 miles walk or ride from the nearest road and then about 3 miles of uphill that a goat would think twice about. I've hunted this area my whole life and if there was an easyer way in i would know---theres not. So everything you take in is on your back, if i get a signal with the detector i do have a plan. I have a small gas motor and compressor thats portable and a close friend who is about a half a bubble out of plump and i'm pretty sure i can get him to dive the holes by just telling him---YOU DON'T HAVE A HAIR ON YOUR ASS-- i figure he will be wet before i get the sentence out--it's worked before. Don't worry i can tie a rope to whatever appendage is handy and yard him back to the surface if the need should arrise.

I did send an email to tesoro about the cable extension and whether or not it would work and have'nt recieved a reply yet and the owners manual for the detector says the coil is waterproof-- but to what depth. Just want to here your thoughts on this--good or bad. Dirty Ike

Ike,

You can apply epoxy over your coil to insure it is waterproof at the bottom of the hole.

If your "friend" is a really a friend be sure he knows how to dive, even though 20' doesn't sound that deep he could seriously injure himself if he doesn't know how to dive and resurface even at 20'.

I'm of the same opinion of Eldorado that for one if any gold is in that hole it maybe ground to fine gold, the force it took for the water to make that hole would do a job a any gold trapped there, but there is still a chance of nuggets if they haven't been in the hole very long, also I would suspect that there will be as mentioned a lot of overburden in the hole, which could make it impossible for your detector to pickup a signal, a VLF doesn't detect that deeply, if the over burden is present, a dredge maybe the only way to discover if there is really gold in the hole, if there is any gold in the stream above the hole there is a good possibility of gold in the hole.

I don't want to discourage you and I hope you find gold with your detector, be sure to update us whether you find gold or not!!

Skip