Nugget Shooter Forums

classification question ?

I can't find any info on this type of meteorite. type IRUNG R - date found 1818.

IRUNG R is tough to find. A second IRUNG R was found 30 miles west of this find in 1915. No other irung type meteorite have been documented in this state.

Can anyone tell me what kind of meteorite a irung R is ?

Thanks for your help Jerry

I can't find any info on this type of meteorite. type IRUNG R - date found 1818.

IRUNG R is tough to find. A second IRUNG R was found 30 miles west of this find in 1915. No other irung type meteorite have been documented in this state.

Can anyone tell me what kind of meteorite a irung R is ?

Thanks for your help Jerry

from met bull the only iron ungrouped (ir ung) found in 1818 is Cambria, link below, not sure what the R stands for.

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/metbull.php?sea=cambria&sfor=names&ants=&falls=&valids=&stype=contains&lrec=50&map=ge&browse=&country=All&srt=name&categ=Ungrouped+irons&mblist=All&rect=&phot=&snew=0&pnt=Normal table&code=5203 (you may need to click on the search button)

Jerry, South Byron was the one in 1915 but the the way the information is listed I couldn't find the 'R' that you mentioned. Did you find it some where else during your research? Just curious, because if it was a chondrite, the R would represent a Rumurutiite. Jason ;)

Jerry, South Byron was the one in 1915 but the the way the information is listed I couldn't find the 'R' that you mentioned. Did you find it some where else during your research? Just curious, because if it was a chondrite, the R would represent a Rumurutiite. Jason ;)

The IRUNG R was on both finds that are aprox 35 miles apart. I hope they are from the same fall. I have a huge wooded area almost at the halfway point between both finds directly inline with each other.When weather is good will check out extensivly with my minelab.

Thanks Jerry