Nugget Shooter Forums

Rite or Wrong or just plain what the heck is it?

I tried searching for something similar to this and haven't really found something yet. This rock was part of a small stone wall in the backyard and i noticed it looked different than the rocks in the area. The rocks that made the wall was most likely stones dug up to build the house. So I picked it up and noticed it was heavier than other stones. I put a magnet to it thinking its metal in it and magnets do stick but its not magnetic itself. The rock was broken and so I used the small piece to mess with a dremel and try to cut pieces and polish. I could then see a metal matrix and stone. Then there's the dark green to blackish crystals. If you need anymore info just ask.

dry cut polishpost-1162-126544241924_thumb.jpgwhen wet stony areas become more visible, basically cause the flash kind of washes it out drypost-1162-126544240917_thumb.jpgflowlines in crystal?post-1162-126544242625_thumb.jpggreen crystals?post-1162-126544243269_thumb.jpg

New guy;

If that is nickel/iron a magnet should be very strongly attracted...the only meteorite I have read of that would be nickel/iron and crystals ia a pallasite...one of the most uncommon of stoney/iron space rocks...did you find the rock in a known strewn field??? You might want to take the rock to a university and have a geologist check it...donot leave it let them take a sample...there are a number of posts that show various tests for eliminating meteor-wrongs...have you checked them?

Fred

Hi there and welcome to the forum. As with any suspect rock, pictures are sometimes hard to tell if something is or is not a meteorite. Can you post a shot of the overall rock to see it's outside characteristics? From the posted pictures, the "flow lines" look like slag or something terrestrial. It would appear that it was once molten, but not on the order of entering the atmosphere. There are several good books to start with, Rocks From Space, Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites to mention two. I'm leaning towards terrestrial, but that just my opinion A streak test is another possibility, take the rock and streak it on an unglazed piece of porcelain (the bottom of the toilet tank lid) and if it leaves a streak, then it's terrestrial. Good luck and keep hunting. Jason ;)