Nugget Shooter Forums

What are the Big differences between 3500/400/4500?

Lanny in AB

(This is in reference to the 3500/4000/4500--I messed up on the topic title and don't know how to edit/change it!)

Hi there--just curious. I've used the 3500 and the 4000--haven't had a chance to fire up a 4500 yet. But, I'd like your input on the big differences in the three detectors, as many of you have used all three extensively, and I haven't. I'd appreciate your comments on strengths, weaknesses, faults and flaws, outstanding strong points, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Lanny

P.S. I still use my 2100 extensively, with a widevariety of coils, depending on the conditions I'm facing, and I'm still finding many a sassy nugget.

The diffference between the 3500 and 4500 is around 2 grand! 4000 and 4500 is around a grand. Just kidding, not that much of a difference between a 4000 and 4500. I still like my 4000. Grubstake

Thanks Grubstake--I had a chuckle while reading your verbal irony. ;) I'm looking for someone to give me the comparisons and contrasts of the three models--I'm genuinely interested in how well/differently the three models hunt (strengths/weaknesses/ability to handle mineralization/overall capabilities, etc.).

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks Grubstake--I had a chuckle while reading your verbal irony. ;) I'm looking for someone to give me the comparisons and contrasts of the three models--I'm genuinely interested in how well/differently the three models hunt (strengths/weaknesses/ability to handle mineralization/overall capabilities, etc.).

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny,

In many respects your question begs to a "comfort zone" where the owners of these ML series of detectors you mention feel "free in the hunt" in knowing their machine! I'm sure many of the owners of these detectors you mention have found their own ways of "tweeking" their machine for optimal performace under the conditions of the hunting territory. I know that some here on the forum stick by the older ML developements as in the SD2100 and love it.

I've followed posts from a number of people to include Uncle Ron, Montana, Grubstake, Pondman Mike, Matt, Shep, R. Chris, L. Lundy, Garimpo, Eldorado to name a few, each having different models of ML detectors with each of these people having to go through a "learning curve" in the beginning.

As to "stength and weakness", a guy could also make that same decision as to the lady of his choice who keeps him purring.....bottom line, "comfort zones" and "tweeking" produce results and having a great additude goes a long way. :twocents: :D

Gary

Lanny I've had every Minelab model except the 4500...if your still finding gold with

your "out of the box-unmodified" 2100 you should hang it in the closet and get a GP

model...the higher the number the better they get....I love my 3000 and I'm trying

to learn the 4000....my advise would be to get a good used 3500(because of the GB

in the handle)and use the same coils you've been using with the 2100....go back over

some of your old patches and I believe you'll find that you've been leaving gold

behind for somebody with a GP....some of the differences are the GP's run quiter...

GB quicker and much easier...have fixed or auto GB...discriminate(totally worthless)..

this is just a few...since your frozen in for a few more months why not go to the

Minelab site and download the manuals for the 3000...3500...4000 and the 4500 and

give yourself some "home schooling"...or if you've got deep pockets full of gold

then just buy a 4500 and "go for the gold"!!!! All of this advise is free but now

I'm thristy and you owe me a beer...

Lanny,

In many respects your question begs to a "comfort zone" where the owners of these ML series of detectors you mention feel "free in the hunt" in knowing their machine! I'm sure many of the owners of these detectors you mention have found their own ways of "tweeking" their machine for optimal performace under the conditions of the hunting territory. I know that some here on the forum stick by the older ML developements as in the SD2100 and love it.

I've followed posts from a number of people to include Uncle Ron, Montana, Grubstake, Pondman Mike, Matt, Shep, R. Chris, L. Lundy, Garimpo, Eldorado to name a few, each having different models of ML detectors with each of these people having to go through a "learning curve" in the beginning.

As to "strength and weakness", a guy could also make that same decision as to the lady of his choice who keeps him purring.....bottom line, "comfort zones" and "tweeking" produce results and having a great additude goes a long way. :twocents: :D

Gary

Thanks Gary--your response makes a lot of sense. I know detectorists that use all of the SD/GP/GPX series, and you're right--they all have their comfort zones, their preferences, and their ways of tweaking. What I'm after is some further knowledge on how people like the 35/40/45 and why they like them. For example, before the more refined PI's came out, VLF's for gold were the norm--but they had serious limitations in extreme ground (or no capability whatsoever as I've covered in some of my posts). But today, the PI's are being tuned for a specific gold hunting role. I've got my 2100--know it very well--and it still gets the gold. What are its weaknesses? Noisy background/noisy when there's any EMI of any kind/false signals when the coil or coil wire gets bumped/inability to work on both sides when the ground is maddeningly hot/still sensitive to certain hot-rocks--those are the weaknesses I see. Strengths--it goes deep (too deep sometimes, :angry-smiley-010[1]:, on pieces of trash and hot-rocks), deep enough to get out gold that I'd have never found any other way; with the little coils it will now find incredibly small gold;it will operate in extreme ground where VLF's just turn their toes up and die; it accepts a very wide range and variety of coils; it's a gold finding wonder! Now, I know where the 2100 stands compared to VLF's. What I'd like to know is where the 3500 stands compared to the 4000, and where the 4000 stands compared to the 4500, and if anyone knows, where the 5000 (I'm sure there must be one in the works) will stand compared to the 4500?

Thanks in advance,

Lanny

Lanny, I've had a 2200sd and a 3500, and now I have a 4000. the 4000 is the biggest jump in all of them, I hated the 3500, it was unstable and I never found one nugget with it, my 2200sd, I've found pounds with it, but the draw back on it was up here I was unable to run mono coils, the 4000 I can run mono and its just purrrrrs along. And goes deeper, and finds smaller gold too. Grubstake,

Lanny, I've had a 2200sd and a 3500, and now I have a 4000. the 4000 is the biggest jump in all of them, I hated the 3500, it was unstable and I never found one nugget with it, my 2200sd, I've found pounds with it, but the draw back on it was up here I was unable to run mono coils, the 4000 I can run mono and its just purrrrrs along. And goes deeper, and finds smaller gold too. Grubstake,

Thank you Grubstake--that's nice, specific input--that's exactly what I'm looking for! I appreciate your frankness and expressive opinion. It's nice to have some advice from someone who's used them in the field. Interesting about your 2200sd and how hot of a machine it was--that's remarkable. Nice to know how quiet the 4000 is for you--the one I've used is extremely quiet compared to my 2100 as well.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny I've had every Minelab model except the 4500...if your still finding gold with

your "out of the box-unmodified" 2100 you should hang it in the closet and get a GP

model...the higher the number the better they get....I love my 3000 and I'm trying

to learn the 4000....my advise would be to get a good used 3500(because of the GB

in the handle)and use the same coils you've been using with the 2100....go back over

some of your old patches and I believe you'll find that you've been leaving gold

behind for somebody with a GP....some of the differences are the GP's run quiter...

GB quicker and much easier...have fixed or auto GB...discriminate(totally worthless)..

this is just a few...since your frozen in for a few more months why not go to the

Minelab site and download the manuals for the 3000...3500...4000 and the 4500 and

give yourself some "home schooling"...or if you've got deep pockets full of gold

then just buy a 4500 and "go for the gold"!!!! All of this advise is free but now

I'm thristy and you owe me a beer...

Now Garimpo--you've done a first rate job--I love specific feedback on what the strengths of the various models are. If you read the advertisements, and the hype, you'll never get feedback like you're giving. And, the suggestion to download the manuals and study them--capital idea. It's amazing what another brain/another set of eyes will accomplish for fresh ideas. As for discrimination--I must be with you on that one--I dig everything I detect with a PI--VLF's, well their discriminators seem to be far more reliable, but I'm not so sure I'd trust them one hundred percent either, but with a PI--I dig everything. I've had too many experiences where it sounded like trash and was not trash, so with the PI's--I want to look and see, then decide. I think that seeing really is believing with a PI.

Have you heard any rumors about Minelab having a new (5000?) ready in the wings? That's usually the way it goes--I get all fired up about a new model (computer/TV/GPS--whatever) only to purchase and find out that the new item I've purchased is already out of date before I get it out of the box!!

Thanks again, and all the best,

Lanny

P.S. You're not the first person I've heard of that still loves their 3000--I've hunted with one and found gold with it too--I know they'll all do the job, but I appreciate your specialized efforts to educate and enlighten me. Regards.