Nugget Shooter Forums

Cleaning Mercury

robbor

Cotton ball in a funnel,mercury press with air,cloth--many ways--wear gloves and do it cold--above 70 degrees and things(bad)things start to happen. I don't care where you live there are plenty of folks who'll clean it up in a minute properly thanx to this and other forums-John :thumbsupanim

Good tips from John. A big bore syringe from a farm supply/veterinarian supply outlet and a cotton ball will work as a good mercury press as well. Big time danger, as alluded to, about the fumes though. Be careful! Mercury vapor attacks the central nervous system--not good. :o

All the best,

Lanny

A horse Syringe with cotton in the end works for me.

To make it hot on goodies, put it in a vial two wires on both end and hit it with 9 or 12V DC for 5 minutes! Use Copper wire as your contacts and let it be done.

That cleans it up most well.

Once done that stuff will grab any and all.

I have about 3-4 oz of mercury from a barometer that has small bits of glass and dirt in it. Is there an easy way to clean mercury so i can have a cleaner sample?

Where do you live, maybe an experienced member can help

Homefire--not familiar with that technique. How does it work?

All the best,

Lanny

The Syringe thing is just a mechanical clean.

The Battery is electrolysis cleaning out some of the Gick the Mercury picked up.

It pulls out the Lead, Copper, and Yes Gold it picked up in the Previous life.

EDDit: You could alway Retort it!

Try it! After you hit it with the battery, it will be hungry for anything it can find. :thumbsupanim

The Syringe thing is just a mechanical clean.

The Battery is electrolysis cleaning out some of the Gick the Mercury picked up.

It pulls out the Lead, Copper, and Yes Gold it picked up in the Previous life.

EDDit: You could alway Retort it!

Try it! After you hit it with the battery, it will be hungry for anything it can find. :thumbsupanim

Thanks for the explanation on the juicing of the mercury--interesting stuff.

All the best,

Lanny

Sorry Im in Los Angeles, probably no one anywhere near me. I do have a really large 50 or 100cc glass syringe i can use with the cotton ball technique.

I actually have my 2 syringes stored with cotton balls in them. My mercury is clean overall, it has not been used for mining. And I did not even know the item the college had thrown out was full of mercury to go in the trash. It had a large cast iron base i wanted to use for something and while i was trying to take the stand apart i realized it was broken and had 4 oz by weight of mercury. Very interesting, saw a video on youtube of a mercury fountain and figured it was pretty much harmless as a liquid as long as it was not swallowed or heated.

Sorry Im in Los Angeles, probably no one anywhere near me. I do have a really large 50 or 100cc glass syringe i can use with the cotton ball technique.

I actually have my 2 syringes stored with cotton balls in them. My mercury is clean overall, it has not been used for mining. And I did not even know the item the college had thrown out was full of mercury to go in the trash. It had a large cast iron base i wanted to use for something and while i was trying to take the stand apart i realized it was broken and had 4 oz by weight of mercury. Very interesting, saw a video on youtube of a mercury fountain and figured it was pretty much harmless as a liquid as long as it was not swallowed or heated.

Id love to see a video of how you juice mercury with a battery, that sounds really dangerous to me.

:yuk-yuk:

Id love to see a video of how you juice mercury with a battery, that sounds really dangerous to me.

What is Dangerous?

You put a wire in both ends of mercury.

Your just using Electrolysis to pull other elements out of the mercury.

• 3 weeks later...

:yuk-yuk:

What is Dangerous?

You put a wire in both ends of mercury.

Your just using Electrolysis to pull other elements out of the mercury.

It's called chargeing mercury . put mercury in a glass jar with salt water on top.

strip the plastic off 12 or 14 gauge wire put one end into merc. the other into

the salt waterand connect to your battery. Do this outside as the fumes are toxic after 5 min. or so feel the jar it'll be warm

pour off the water and store in a sealable plastic bottle . Put the bottle in another botle with water in it

for storage .

nuggetsucker