Nugget Shooter Forums

Tiny-ite From Dry Lake

Hey Gang, Thought I'd post the tiny-ite I found on a dry lake a couple of weekends ago. It's very likely from a previously discovered fall. Holds on very tight to a magnet. Scale is mm; I wish it were inches. No such thing as too small. See Ya, Clifton

post-21761-126439453179_thumb.jpg

post-21761-126439487164_thumb.jpg

Hey Gang, Thought I'd post the tiny-ite I found on a dry lake a couple of weekends ago. It's very likely from a previously discovered fall. Holds on very tight to a magnet. Scale is mm; I wish it were inches. No such thing as too small. See Ya, Clifton

Hey Clifton,

That is tiny but I'm pretty sure it is NOT a meteorite - too many holes and wrong texture and look. Take pictures outside to confirm.

Hi Ruben, The right half of the first pic, the gray area, I agree is rather terrestrial-feldspantic looking. I can see roundie-roundies in it, that of course that don't make them chondrules. The thing that impressed me is this little rock holds on to a magnet like a Sacramento Wash chondrite/iron, not like the usual hematite/magnetite pull. I even went so far a to look up the EL6 that landed in the area wondering if that could explain the texture/color. I should say that the shinny white spots in the center of pic 1 are metal (or shinny hemitite) , although they look like crystals in the pic. Anyway, maybe it not a meteorite, we'll see. I'll get some more outside pics in the morning if it's not too cloudy. Good new is I won't need a rock saw for this one. :rolleyes: Clifton

Hey Clifton I agree with Ruben on this one, the texture and surface just doesn't look right. Try cleaning it up a little and get a good close up pic in the sunlight because this might help with identification. If you put a window in it look for a silvery white color. If it's geyish white then most likely it's magnetite.

Ruben and I both have looked at the EL6 meteorite you're referring to and your find looks nothing close to it. By far that is probably one of the prettiest meteorites I've ever had to the pleasure to hold and look at through a loupe. It was very nice of Rob to show it to us.

One thing I'm wondering- How the heck are you not getting ran off by the security guards out there? It's my understanding that they keep people out of there.

Keep at it because they're out there. Good luck!

Del

Hi Ruben, Del, Had to be at work at 6 am today, so I try to get the pics tomorrow.

Del -- Yeah, this is the dry lake on the Nevada side, haven't seen anyone out there. There are a few keep out no dumping signs that weren't there last year, but that's it. The California lake, however, is well posted, and states clearly you will be fined if caught trespassing, and I have seen the guard/BLM or whatever giving someone a hard time who had approached the lake, but was not yet on it. The vechicle looked like a white Expedition with lights on top. To do that lake it might be best to park at Primm and hoof it, several miles, more to the center of the lake, maybe on Sundays. They (the powers that be) have two concerns one is the Molycorp Rare Earth mine at mountain pass, they had a 3 ft or bigger pipe that went down to the lake to pump refining waste to the center of the lake; anyway the pipe burst in 1996, and low level uranium and thorium waste went down to the lake along the wash. Molycor had to clean it up for big $$$$$$, and now the lake is a little above backgroud levels of radiation. Probably no real worry, but cars make the lake dust travel in the wind, which is their concern. The second concern is they use the California dry lake for trying to set the land speed record for sail driven rails - land yachts, and they do not want people tearing it up. They probably have other reasons for locking people out.

Anyway, I'll try to get the pics tomorrow. Clifton

Hi Ruben, Del, Finally got some outside pics this morning, it was raining yesterday. I should say the the previous pics above were with a flash, and a flash light, and the colors are off. Second, I didn't mention that I actually dug up this tiny guy about 40 yards "on shore" in a shallow hole about 2 inches deep, and got me a steel BB, wow, and this tiny guy. But since it's so small I couldn't tell you if came from the top or the bottom of the hole. Anyways, I washed it off with a little rubbing alcohol before the previous pics, but that's it. Well, took a bunch of photos or this tiny guy under my real microscope at 100X, most are poor and the colors are off. Took some outside pics of it, then placed it in 10 % phosphoric acid for 5 min, only "fizzed" about 3 seconds. Then scrubbed it with a tooth brush under running water, pored rubbing alcohol over it, place it in a convection oven on aluminum foil on "light toast"; I was in a hurry. The original suface must have been a layer composed of rust iron and caliche. I'm posting two pics our conversation piece, one for scale, and one close up. Oh, ya, all pics, previous and now, are through a 15X (actually 3 * 5X). The shinny spots in the pics below are metal. Clifton

post-21761-126473664543_thumb.jpg

post-21761-12647366584_thumb.jpg