Nugget Shooter Forums

Whopper........M-Rite or M-Wrong ???

Hi Everyone,

My son Jason and I were at Gold Basin Saturday and I came across this whopper. I actually spotted it in the ground first, then waved my GM3 over it and got a very strong signal. You can imagine my excitement when I pulled this whopper out of the ground!!! :ROFL: It is attracted to my neo-magnet, but not as strong as I would like to see and it weighs 18.6 pounds!!!

Since I'm still new to meteorite hunting, I need more sets of eyes to look at this specimen. I've attached some photos, any comments are welcome..... THANKS!

post-22670-126380095359_thumb.jpg

post-22670-126380113746_thumb.jpg

post-22670-126380154995_thumb.jpg

post-22670-126380159584_thumb.jpg

post-22670-126380162045_thumb.jpg

O.K. Buddy I'll stick my neck out here and say if it is one I've left a few like that at the basin. :whaaaa:

I could be wrong by the picture just MY opinion by the pic and description you gave.

File part of it and see what it looks like inside..streak test it too ..earth rock or not.????? You tell us. Thanks

VR, everyones wish, to find a killer meteorite...however, that isn't one. That looks like a typical basalt from Gold Basin and when you go to Franconia, the place is covered with them. More "hot" rocks than you can shake a stick at. The GM sounded off due to the magnetite/hematite mineralization. Keep hunting and good luck. Jason ;)

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and advice!!! I can differentiate most terrestrial hot rocks from meteorites, however, this one was questionable to me. Can anyone recommend what type of file (coarse, fine, etc) is best to take off a corner, and where can I purchase one?

I am naming this rock the "B-2 Bomber" Meteor-Wrong....LOL!!! :arrowheadsmiley:

post-22670-126402012287_thumb.jpg

post-22670-126402015466_thumb.jpg

VR, I just picked out the crappiest file in my tool collection you know one that you can do without in your workshop and I carry it in my detecting bucket with the rest of my goodies. I wedged an old broken cut down ax handle on it for ease of use it happens to be one of the "fine" type. :inocent:

post-562-126403298205_thumb.jpg

ROTFLMAO!!!! Good one Dave!!! :yuk-yuk: :lol:

New rockhounds soon learn what Leaverite is. It's any unidentified mineral which, when you pick it up and ask a veteran collector whether you should keep it, the reply is, "No, leaverite there."

Of course some mysterious force often prompts collectors to take leaverite home anyway, and the question then becomes what to do with it.

What To Do With your Leaverites

1. Fix the chuck holes in your driveway.

2. Throw them at bill collectors or door-to-door salesmen.

3. Take them to club displays and leave them.

4. Impress your geology challenged friends.

5. Slip them into your competitor's case when nobody is looking.

6. Throw them over the fence into your neighbor's garden.

7. Build a backyard waterfall.

8. Fill up your car trunk to get you through the winter ice.

9. Post a picture of it on the Nugget Shooter Forums. :arrowheadsmiley:

10. Best of all, don't take them home in the first place!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and advice!!! I can differentiate most terrestrial hot rocks from meteorites, however, this one was questionable to me. Can anyone recommend what type of file (coarse, fine, etc) is best to take off a corner, and where can I purchase one?

I am naming this rock the "B-2 Bomber" Meteor-Wrong....LOL!!! :arrowheadsmiley:

Harbor freight tools sells them cheap cheap. Here's a link http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=505 And lots of other potential meteoric useful tools. If you order from them on the web they email you 25% off coupons regularly which you can use on any single item in the store...so don't buy anything from them over 20 bucks and wait for the coming coupon for a large purchase. Eventually, I will own everything in the store for 25% off :rasberry: