• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Never use the strap?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Only occasionaly use it?

• Yes
    • No

All of my minelab PI machined have always had a small retention strap on the handle. Personally I never use it, never have used it and consider it a nuisance. I want to cut mine off, but don't want to make it an issue for the next owner. Does anyone actually use that strap?

As you well know El Dorado a lot of my beeping is done on slave dig mounds that can get

pretty high and the chance of sliding down hill is a constant danger and I don't want

to be "strapped" to the detector...I would rather it go free wheeling out of the way....

usually the first thing I do is push the foam rubber on the handle down and then un-do

the strap and remove it.....

I always use the strap.

It can give your hand and fingers a chance to relax a little when you have been detecting a lot, while manipulating the coil in and around obstacles, which can sometimes result in kind of a death grip, especially if you are using a larger, heavier coil.

As Don indicates, different situations dictate difference of usages of said strap...

Just my dos :twocents: centavos...

~LARGO~

I always use the strap as well. I like how it gives me more torque with the wrist movement, and I'm with others too--it seems to cut down on muscle stress in the wrist area.

All the best,

Lanny

I have a question for those of you that do use the strap...do any of you use the "hipstick"?

I always use the "hipstick" and it seems that the reasons your giving for using the strap

are the reasons for using the "hipstick"....

Don ... I always use the strap for all the reasons already mentioned ... mostly less hand, arm, elbow and shoulder stress after a long day diggin' trash! I don't and have never used a hip stick ... would like to try someone's detector that has one though just for comparison. I do tend to hook my bungee to the left shoulder strap a lot rather than the right ... gives a little rest to the right side but a little more ackward swing on the right orf center extremes when I do that ... tends to want to lift the coil a little more than usual.

Mike F

Don ... I always use the strap for all the reasons already mentioned ... mostly less hand, arm, elbow and shoulder stress after a long day diggin' trash! I don't and have never used a hip stick ... would like to try someone's detector that has one though just for comparison. I do tend to hook my bungee to the left shoulder strap a lot rather than the right ... gives a little rest to the right side but a little more ackward swing on the right orf center extremes when I do that ... tends to want to lift the coil a little more than usual.

Mike F

Like Mike I have not used a hipstick. I do use the bungee on my SD2200. Of course, I have to unhook it when I start diggin. And bein prone to senior moments I often forget to rehook until I've swung for a while. I like keeping the cord a little short and pressing down to the ground. The hipstick sounds more complicated considering the diggin.

In the desert, yes, up here going though all the buck brush, no! just something else to get hung up, sometimes we are crawling on our hands and knee's to get back into places. Grubstake

Keith and Mike there are places like Grubby says where the hipstick is better not used but

for most people it can save your arm....shoulders and everything in between...nothing complicated

about it at all...hook one end over your belt...hook the other end to the same D-ring you now

hook your bungee cord to and your in beeping heaven...and it's a snap to undo for digging...a

friend on this forum sent me the first one and now I consider it a "no go item"...if I don't

have it I don't go...Mike when you get the AZ take a short (18 mile) side trip to see Bill

and give one a try...

Don ... I may just do that on one of my forays into LSD ... I have to go there each year because that is where i found my first nugget. I know where Bill's shop is but each time I was there before he wasn't there. Unfortunately it was during times he was having issues as I found out later. I'll stop by and see him this trip. Maybe I'll walk away with a new hip stick!

Mike F

guess I will just leave the strap there........

Steve, if its the 4000, it just snaps on, you can remove it and snap it back in place, its not revieted to the cuff, it like snap buttons on a jacket. Grubstake

30 January 2010 at 0300 hours!Want to be through, NH, MA, CT, NY and well into PA before I stop for breakfast. That first 400 +/- miles of back to back city is the killer ... the rest of it is a piece of cake. That is one reason why this ole country boy is starting on a Saturday. Any words of wisdom from the world traveler since I have alrady packed the canteen (camel backs), snake gardz and will be picking up the hip stick on my way through Prescott before I dive down into Congress?

Mike

Don ... Peace and quiet has never gotten me down ... noise, hustle and bustle and city life get me down ... give me the quiet country life any day! I've been that way all my life ... the only reason I live in or near a city is for work :arrowheadsmiley: ... I can sell more homes in a city or suburban environment than I can in a rural one so off to the city I went :grr01: ... and out of it I want! :rolleyes::thumbsupanim

Mike F