Nugget Shooter Forums

gold sucker n sniping tools

robbor

Ive be getting really interested in underwater sniping for gold and wondering if anyone has experience with suckers and other tools that really work well for them.

What type of sucker would work best and size also. Some ive seen almost look like they might not have a lip inside to catch the gold like you might just tip them and then expel the contents quickly where you want.

Also wonder about a smaller sucker for easily picking up lots of little pieces. Thinking i should have thought about this in the fall and gotten a dry suit and be out now in the low water.

thanks, cant wait to hear more.

I use the Turkey baster type of sucker. It has a lanyard to keep from getting lost. Successful Sniping is almost an art. Need to keep your tool bag small, simple and effective. Pioneer mining in Auburn CA has all the right stuff...... but hurry they are going to be gone soon www.pioneermining.com

Sniping is a great way to get some gold. Besides your sucker, you should get a small sledge, a gad bar, and good chisel or splitting wedge to break open those cracks. Like Steve said it is an art. A sniper will cover more river than any other prospector and has to move frequently to stay in the gold. Oh and MAKE SURE that you lanyard your sucker to you. I sent some nice little nuggets floating down river this summer because I overlooked the necessity of a lanyard.

I have a few more questions. The bulb type gold suckers dont seem that strong so figured there was a better tool. What do you empty the sucker into? And is it pretty much a shallow water (1-3') bright light activity or can you easily distinguish gold in water a little deeper and on not so bright of days. Im in Ca and because of the dredging ban im thinking of possibly even getting a hooka if i can run across one. Also gonna keep my eye open for a dry suit. Thanks all.

An open ended sucker [no nozzle attachment] can be employed in a likely spot even if you cant see any color. It can move a decent amount of material [let's say at least a little better than trying to use a shovel] by first loosening the target gravels in what you figure is a sweet spot and removing the larger cobbles [a short handled 4-claw rake and small pry bar work well to loosen and pull these out of the way]. Then get into a rhythm of sucking gravel while simultaneously dipping the aft end and raising the front end toward your catch tub [or bucket or pan or whatever works for you -- probably something that won't float away]. Once your power stroke is complete you should have the sucking end inside or over your catch tub. Then just raise the aft end of the sucker upward and dip the forward end into your tub. Viola! The first of many little deposits is captured. Begin repeating the above mentioned dance until your arm is screaming at you and you are screaming bad words at the politicians in Disneyland North who enacted SB670. Time to take a break either by running the gravel through a stream sluice or by running the stuff you caught through one or more classifiers and then panning some to see whether you were right about the sweet spot and if your results were worth the effort. The suckers with nozzles are more for sniping visible targets. Pretty obvious how to use them. Good luck.