Nugget Shooter Forums

Octave Mine Meteorite

Yo All...Sittin' here bored in my hotel room in Vegas and started researching different AZ meteorites...Somehow I've missed, in the past, that there is an Octave Mine Meteorite...Supposed to be an H5, found by "A. Sims" in 2004...Anybody know where I can find an online image of this one? Or anyone know the Sims person who found it? Cheers, Unc

Hey Unc! Get in touch with Geoff, he is one of the "Meteorite Men," on the new Science Channel series, and should be able to fill you in. Cheers! - Terry

Geoffrey Notkin

Aerolite Meteorites

P.O. Box 36652

Tucson, AZ 85740, USA

(888) SKY ROXX

(520) 742 3333

info@aerolite.org

Yo All...Sittin' here bored in my hotel room in Vegas and started researching different AZ meteorites...Somehow I've missed, in the past, that there is an Octave Mine Meteorite...Supposed to be an H5, found by "A. Sims" in 2004...Anybody know where I can find an online image of this one? Or anyone know the Sims person who found it? Cheers, Unc

Aloha Unc,

So visiting Los Wages eh! cool.gif Stay away from the slots for sure.nono2.gif Just enjoy the great buffets while you are here and have a great time.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Ron,

I had not heard of the Octave Mine meteorite. Sounds interesting. While your at it, from the same neighborhood, is the Weaver meteorite. It was a solid metal ataxite. I think if was metal-detected by a guy hunting for nuggets up Weaver Creek, east of Rich Hill. Maybe there's more of em'.

Ben

Hi Ben

The weaver mountain was an 85 lb mass found in the late 1800s. No doubt many pieces of this $200.00 dollar plus per gram meteorite were found by ignorant detectorists and discarded as trash. Loooking for the cheaper 10 to 20 dollar a gram nuggets. Half of the main mass is on display at the ASU exhibit on campus the other half minus a few slices is at the Flandrau. Six or seven years ago there was a few small pieces made available by a trade deal with the natural history museum in UK I think. They were quickly sold at around $250.00 per gram.

Ron you introduced me to a fellow who had a small iron with the name of the octave. While questioning him he told me it was never studied ,sliced or tested just a phone call to ASU ?? It's probably scrap iron or possibly a piece of Weaver mountain. The finder to the H5 octave will probably get an invite to the wing ding at the U of A . I forget his name but I chatted with him about selling it for the collection I was building for the Flandrau.

Happy Huntin John B.

Hi Ron,

I had not heard of the Octave Mine meteorite. Sounds interesting. While your at it, from the same neighborhood, is the Weaver meteorite. It was a solid metal ataxite. I think if was metal-detected by a guy hunting for nuggets up Weaver Creek, east of Rich Hill. Maybe there's more of em'.

Ben