Nugget Shooter Forums

GLOBAL WARMING or COOLING

old gold miner

- FOXNews.com

- January 11, 2010

30 Years of Global Cooling Are Coming, Leading Scientist Says

From Miami to Maine, Savannah to Seattle, America is caught in an icy grip that one of the U.N.'s top global warming proponents says could mark the beginning of a mini ice age.

From Miami to Maine, Savannah to Seattle, America is caught in an icy grip that one of the U.N.'s top global warming proponents says could mark the beginning of a mini ice age.

Oranges are freezing and millions of tropical fish are dying in Florida, and it could be just the beginning of a decades-long deep freeze, says Professor Mojib Latif, one of the world's leading climate modelers.

Latif thinks the cold snap Americans have been suffering through is only the beginning. He says we're in for 30 years of cooler temperatures -- a mini ice age, he calls it, basing his theory on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the world's oceans.

Latif, a professor at the Leibniz Institute at Germany's Kiel University and an author of the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, believes the lengthy cold weather is merely a pause -- a 30-years-long blip -- in the larger cycle of global warming, which postulates that temperatures will rise rapidly over the coming years.

At a U.N. conference in September, Latif said that changes in ocean currents known as the North Atlantic Oscillation could dominate over manmade global warming for the next few decades. Latif said the fluctuations in these currents could also be responsible for much of the rise in global temperatures seen over the past 30 years.

Latif is a key member of the UN's climate research arm, which has long promoted the concept of global warming. He told the Daily Mail that "a significant share of the warming we saw from 1980 to 2000 and at earlier periods in the 20th Century was due to these cycles -- perhaps as much as 50 percent."

According to the U.S. National Snow and Ice Data Center in Colorado, the warming of the Earth since 1900 is due to natural oceanic cycles, and not man-made greenhouse gases. The agency also reports that Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007.

Many parts of the world have been suffering through record-setting snowfalls and arctic temperatures. The Midwest saw wind chills as low as 49 degrees below zero last week, while Europe saw snows so heavy that Eurostar train service and air travel were canceled across much of the continent. In Asia, Beijing was hit by its heaviest snowfall in 60 years.

- FOXNews.com

- January 11, 2010

30 Years of Global Cooling Are Coming, Leading Scientist Says

Oranges are freezing and millions of tropical fish are dying in Florida, and it could be just the beginning of a decades-long deep freeze, says Professor Mojib Latif, one of the world's leading climate modelers.

Latif thinks the cold snap Americans have been suffering through is only the beginning. He says we're in for 30 years of cooler temperatures -- a mini ice age, he calls it, basing his theory on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the world's oceans.

Latif, a professor at the Leibniz Institute at Germany's Kiel University and an author of the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, believes the lengthy cold weather is merely a pause -- a 30-years-long blip -- in the larger cycle of global warming, which postulates that temperatures will rise rapidly over the coming years.

At a U.N. conference in September, Latif said that changes in ocean currents known as the North Atlantic Oscillation could dominate over manmade global warming for the next few decades. Latif said the fluctuations in these currents could also be responsible for much of the rise in global temperatures seen over the past 30 years.

Latif is a key member of the UN's climate research arm, which has long promoted the concept of global warming. He told the Daily Mail that "a significant share of the warming we saw from 1980 to 2000 and at earlier periods in the 20th Century was due to these cycles -- perhaps as much as 50 percent."

According to the U.S. National Snow and Ice Data Center in Colorado, the warming of the Earth since 1900 is due to natural oceanic cycles, and not man-made greenhouse gases. The agency also reports that Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007.

Many parts of the world have been suffering through record-setting snowfalls and arctic temperatures. The Midwest saw wind chills as low as 49 degrees below zero last week, while Europe saw snows so heavy that Eurostar train service and air travel were canceled across much of the continent. In Asia, Beijing was hit by its heaviest snowfall in 60 years.

I am sorry, but I find that this is a Political issue and has very little to do with Prospecting. I would like this removed from the forum.

Thank you in advance.

COLD LONG WINTERS = more snow = equal more water = more run-off = more hillside - gully - stream erosion = more new gravel = more gold......hopefully

EXTENDED DROUGHT = the opposite ..... sadly

After a major flood, we dredged more gold in a month, than the 5 months before.

Best desert metal detecting & dry washing is in gullies after a flash flood

If that has nothing to do with PROSPECTING, you have much to learn........... :olddude:

LOL...like stretching? Sorry, I can not see where you can make an assumption of my knowledge base and my request has nothing to do with you personally, so please keep it professional. I stand by my request and leave it in the hands of the Moderator.

Calling the post political is petty to say the least.We need to thinkin up our hides,Learn to listen and remove anger from our thoughts.things get frustrating but this aint the place for that.nuff said. Let,s all be thankfull for the little we have and our loved ones that are ok.I,am just happy to see we will get the water we need to get thru another year,Also i love gully washers.

No disrepect to anyone ok...

LOL...like stretching? Sorry, I can not see where you can make an assumption of my knowledge base and my request has nothing to do with you personally, so please keep it professional. I stand by my request and leave it in the hands of the Moderator.

My best season (7 1/2 months), produced 3,700 + ounces of placer gold.

While you may disagree, I believe that puts me in the professional range of prospectors.

Prospecting & mining goes on out in the open.

Weather conditions effect when & how long you operate (out in the open).

Weather conditions also dictate WHEN you can even get to many high mountain workings.

336666608_o.jpg

Here is what happens when you get there a little to early.

Had to make a 300 mile trip home & returned in a month.

The weather SURE made that first trip in, a waste of time & fuel.

And there is no disrespect taken from your post Denny. I do not feel it is petty at all. Bill went to great pains to keep this forum on topic and that topic is Mining and Prospecting. It would be the same as if I posted a topic about the devaluation of the American Dollar. Now if I pasted that article, sure enough someone would say something that it has no place on this forum. But I could then come back and make the relation to how it affects the price of Gold.

I am only trying to be fair to the forum rules and the removal of the Political Section. Asking for the removal was me voicing my opinion, just as you have. I do not consider my opinions to be petty.

Thank you

While you may disagree, I believe that puts me in the professional range of prospectors.

Weather conditions also dictate WHEN you can even get to many high mountain workings.

336666608_o.jpg

Here is what happens when you get there a little to early.

Too true OGM, but as Global Warming was suppositional at best, so are the thoughts of a mini Ice Age. In your first post, you made no correlation between the Global Warming theory and Mining at all. The topic of Global Warming is and has been a "Political Issue". I have followed the edict of not posting anything that is deemed "Political" and would like the Moderators to hold all in the same restrictions.

Thank you for debating the validity of your post, with more decorum than others have used in the past. That is greatly appreciated.

Got any picture? WOW that is a LOT of COLOR!!!!

It was on a patented placer claim, in N. Idaho.

200 yard a day operation.

A 1/4 mile long 300 to 400 ft wide strip riverfront, to shallow for a bucket-line dredge.

To flat & deep for the ground sluicing, or hydraulicing.

Stripped 10 to 12 ft over overburden.

Excavated the last 5 ft with a 235 cat excavatior.

Used a gravel screening plant & sluice box.

Besides the gold, sold the 3/4 inch minus to the county, for road work.

Once done, reclaimed it, so looked like a riverside golf course meadow.

Sold it off as river-front lots.

Sadly, my EX wife lost all the pictures of it.

This was before digital cameras, so the negatives were lost also.

HPS

I find OGM's post to be very related to prospecting

and mining. All the stuff affecting mining and prospecting

is political. Global warming and the green house gas issue

is the next endangered fish,Karuk tribe type issue on the

agenda.

It is already being used to gut the coal mining industry,

and lurking over most major mining activities,as a large

threat.

It will dictate what vehicle you use,the type engines used

on mining equipment,the type of equipment,where you prospect,

and just what you can do once you get there.

The anti crowd will use it in any way they can to stop any

activity they don't approve. Last time I heard,they don't

like prospectors or miners too well.

Climate change is a natural phenomenon that has taken place for millions of years. The only thing suppositional about climate change, whether warming or cooling, is that it is caused my human activity. Since we are discussing the act of climate change and how it relates to prospecting, and not the cause, I fail to see any political connections.

On my only remaining claim, the creek is small and very dependent on snow melt more than springs for water. My partner and I start to seriously look at snow pack by this time of the year in order to try to guess what will happen next summer. Weather is so important to Sierra high mountain creeks. It is easily a topic for discussion for gold miners on this forum as it is on other forums.

Right now in the high ground South of Quincy, CA the snowpack is less than 50% of normal. Some areas normally denied access due to snow are accessable, not good. At least the temps have been cold to help keep what snow we have!