Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steel Pan

Snake bite protection

Boy, I'm slower than wet gunpowder... While discussing this snake bite protection stuff with a friend (real old retired original cowbuster type from the old days), I mentioned snake gaiters and he laughed. He said that's what the original cowboy boots were and he showed me his old boots. They were much taller than today's sissy boots and came up to touch the knee. They are worn with pants stuffed in them not like today. He said "boy get some real boots and piss on them gaiters". I'm almost 60, and he's gettin' close to 90. Yep, I'm slowwww... and he's right those early boots would deflect any snake from the knee downward.

Keep smiling... :cigar:

Good Morning... Has anyone used those .357mag or .44spl CCI #9 shot on rattlers???

How did it work, give me the good, bad, and ugly about them please.

I don't usually kills snakes, as I'm walking in their living room and can easily walk around them (99% time). But, there are three places that really get my attention and might shoot.

One was in north central Idaho (Riggins, Slate Creek) and those crazy little timber rattlers. Mean as hog farts, and these 2' snakes actually will come at you, only buzzing once in awhile. (Not like the lazy 4' eastern Montana rattlers (Otter Creek), I've built fence 10 feet from them and they just ignored me.)

Another scary place is in rocky or brushy sidehill and walk into a den area, once your brain wakes up and you see 6+ rattlers all within 10-15 feet. Kinda took my breath away. I didn't know I could jump that fast or far.

The last is Mding in very narrow, deep, rocky gulch. No place to back-up, no place to jump. Just you and that snake in a very tight place. (Being a prospector I go where normal humans avoid.) I have about 6,000 acres to wander that has about 20 miles of narrow deep gulch. Need to decide if those CCI shotshells are worth the bucks...?

Keep Smiling... :cigar:

Hey Fritz! Two-Thumbs way up! Make the investment! I load two up front, then the plus-p for bigger "varmits." :inocent: - Terry

post-22152-126625206705_thumb.jpg

Spread depends on pistol barrel length.

All work at 3 to 5 ft, for head shots.

If you want longer range, you should have minimum 4 inch barrel.

4, 6 or longer inch barrel will extend 1 shot kills to 10 or 15 ft.

Under 4 inch barrel, at 10 or 15 ft, will not "usually" get you 1 shot kills.

410, or 20 gauge is great, as you can knock down grouse & other game birds with it.

But a shotgun is rough to pack on narrow cliff side, or tight/thick brushy trails

OGM, this is very good info and exactly right. Great post :thumbsupanim - Terry

Spread depends on pistol barrel length.

All work at 3 to 5 ft, for head shots.

If you want longer range, you should have minimum 4 inch barrel.

4, 6 or longer inch barrel will extend 1 shot kills to 10 or 15 ft.

Under 4 inch barrel, at 10 or 15 ft, will not "usually" get you 1 shot kills...

Folks I've been beeping for 40+ years and I've tried several cal. of "rat shot" or as some

call it "bird shot" and yes the CCI is smaller than #9 shot but works wonders on snakes...

the 9mm...357...410...all do a good job on rattlers but their heavy and it's over kill for

snakes...I finally started carrying a two shot derringer in .22 mag with CCI "rat shot"...

at the time they came in a blue plastic capsule on a .22 mag cartridge...at a distance of

6-8 feet they never failed...

Thanks everyone...

I think I'll give them a try this season. My wife has her GP-100 .357mag 6" and I have my Redhawk .44mag 5.5" we'll survive. My kid is upgrading to a Kimber .45 so I offered to buy his Glock 19c for our RV.

God Bless America... :cigar:

If your up in the Sierras, watch out!!! There are tons of ratlers! All California has lots of Rattlers! And dont waste your time with snake kits...they are not the answer!

The folks who claim they never see them just arent looking where they are going. They are hard to see, and camoflage themselves so well. They stay in the shady areas during a hot summer day, love rock piles, and grassy areas. The worst time for them is early morning, and dusk, when they come out, and could be anywhere! And they love to be near the river/creeks. The roar of the river will hide any rattling, so be very wary! Every year I have real close encounters with them!

I have even seen them swimming in the river on a hot day. I'm like the Aussies, I wear shorts, with gaitors up to my knees, and pack a heater with the first round

being snake shot(a .38) revolver. Its a bad idea to "beat the brush", with out long pants, tic spray. Then you need to watch out for the bears. I use a snake stick for that.

I have even seen Western Diamondbacks in the Sieras, around the Bear and American Rivers. They are not supposed to be there, but they are! Mostly its the Pacific Rattlesnake, and a few Ringtails. The hotter it is, the more agressive they are, and are attracted to the shade of creeks, and the cool water. They will come right up next to you when you are quietly panning or sitting by the creek, relaxing! Never, ever sleep on open ground...they can crawl into your sleeping bag with you!

They usually strike from foot to knees, but are also attracted to A-holes! hehehe