Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steel Pan

Snake bite protection

It has been determined that by wearing denim pants, 80% of snake venom is absorbed by the denim at the time of a snake bite.

So, when you are out in the wild, wear full length denim pants and high top leather boots.

Darn! If I had only known this before I met my second wife! :*&$*(: - Terry

It has been determined that by wearing denim pants, 80% of snake venom is absorbed by the denim at the time of a snake bite.

So, when you are out in the wild, wear full length denim pants and high top leather boots.

I saw that on the news this morning. A question on that? maybe 2?

What percentage of venom does it take to make you sick?

What will 20% of the venom do to you?

Just ask whoever did the testing what their turn-over is

in testers....that should give you a fair idea....

When a Rattler strikes, they Clamp down on contact with what ever it is.

If they hit your pant leg and Nash down on it they may not even penetrate you.

Venom is a Prized commodity to snakes and they really would not rather wast it on you.

Some bites could be dry bites.

A old Cow Boy showed me this one day.

When your going to shoot a snake, Discharge one round in the ground by your side. Don't bother trying to hit the snake.

Now your barrel is warm.

Hold it out toward the snake and it will track the barrel.

from 4ft away you will not miss.

They look right down the barrel.

I've done in 4 times in a row sense he shown me the trick.

:arrowheadsmiley:

:yuk-yuk: -Terry

Just ask whoever did the testing what their turn-over is

in testers....that should give you a fair idea....

Always handy to also have a SNAKE BITE KIT with you (in snake county)

Years back, was bit in the right hand, by a 20 inch baby rattler.

Was digging a post hole, for a claim 4X4 post marker, to cement in.

Hot wind, dusty & sweaty.

Took my glass's off, as sweat was dripping on them & they were gathering dust from getting wet.

Saw, what I thought was a snake skin balled up (rattlers molt a new skin, as they grow)

Reached down to pick it up (mistake, with dust in your eyes)

POW, little SOB struck & nailed me in the hand(was molting his old skin off, it just wasn't off yet)

Killed it with the post hole digger, put it in my windbreaker pocket & went to my truck.

Quickly, put a snake venin suction device on it & a tourniquet mid for arm .

Had about 50 miles of slow bad road to anywhere with medical services.

Within 12 minutes, hand was swelling & turning a nasty color.

Had to loosen tourniquet a few time.

Within 20 minutes, profuse sweating, heart was pounding & head throbbing BAD.

Was starting to have trouble swallowing, vision was getting foggy, not a good sign.

Hit the pavement & picked up speed.

Going a bit to fast down a 1.5 lane paved road, saw a HORSE VET place.

Jammed on breaks, turned in.

Walked into the office, pulled dead rattler out of my pocket.

Show my hand, tourniquet & snake to lady at the desk.

She sat me down & within a minute, vet was there with antivenin & syringe.

He inspected the bite, then asked my weight & gave me a shot.

Doc led me to back room, with a bunk & had me lay down.

He checked on me every 15 minutes.

About 2 ½ hours later, he let me go.

Spent that might in a motel, rather than go back to camp.

ALSO, if in TICK country, wise to inspect your skin every hour, or 90 minutes.

(nice to have a mirror, with handle, so you can check your back, upper neck, behind your ears)

Up on the Klamath river (NW CA), you can get 20 or more on you in a day, if bushwhacking.

No fun, if they have time to burrow in.

Some carry nasty diseases.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tickbites.html

Snake Bite is ugly! I seen a freinds hand taken from it.

We just had a bone head die keeping one for a pet here not long ago.

It just bit his Thumb.

I've seen dogs die from hits in the head.

Yep! Ugly stuf fur sure.

I've stepped on snakes when it was cold and thought I stepped on a cow pie.

Looked down and about Pooped my pants trying to get away.

Snakes are bad if the wrong thing happens.

Did I mention, They Taste Good Too?

NO Not Like Chicken!

Again, years back.

Was in a camp ground, unloading some bagged up camp trash into a dumpster there.

A lady, next to about a 30ft Winnebago started screaming.

I ran over to her, to see what’s wrong.

Big rattler under the RV.

She had a little Pekinese dog that was barking at the rattler.

That snake struck it dead center on the nose.

It was still standing, but shaking.

I told here, best thing, was I shoot it.

Because it was going to be dead shortly, anyway.

By this time, her husband came running, from wherever he was.

He was all excited, thinking I had done something.

Lady was upset, still screaming, clutching the poor little dog.

I explained to the husband, what happened.

They loaded up the RV, and were out of there, in about 90 seconds, heading for a VET.

Which was at the very least, hour & a half away, maybe more.

They were back in a little over an hour.

Dog died of convulsions about 20 or 30 minutes down the road.

I trained my dog, snakes are okay to bark at, but NOT go after.

I used a BIG bull snake & a very mild shock collar to do that.

If I had not, my dog would be long dead by now, from a snake bite.

OGM, glad to see you back on the board again!

I hope you continue your research into the SB670 issue. My only worry is the other side may have gotten wind of the legal facts you posted and are doing their best to use it against us.

As to rattle snakes, we're all a part of nature, free to travel and I intend no harm.....but if any snake, spider or bear wants a piece of my behind, that same harm factor goes out the window very quickly.

Every year rattle snake issues are posted to the forums especially around the advent of the prime time of weather conditions relating to metal detecting in different States. There's a lot of information available.

I do wish the masses were more informed about the obstacles that could be encountered when enjoying the outdoors!

Gary

:angry-smiley-010[1]: #1 rule of rattlers--the younger they are--the dumber they are(just like humans) and the young ones will blast ya with ALL the venom at once due to lack of experience. Just like the lil'boy who died at Drivers Flats who was playing with BITING WORMS--1 ugly end to a gruesome tale. Best protection, easy, a 357 mag fulla snake shredders thank you very much-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :inocent:

I grew up in Oklahoma and one of the few things I was always told by me grandfather (he was a rancher) was to wear snake gaiters when out tromping around rattlesnakes. Some of those snakes on his ranch were big! He called them the equalizer (bring any person to their knees no matter tough the person was). They do not always rattle before they strike if you are walking up on them or they are a little slow (due to coolness). We always had a hard time finding snake gaiters that are comfortable, but I settled on Turtleskin snake gaiters for metal detecting. They are more costly than the regular ones but much more comfortable. I got them for like $109 from www.uplanders.com They were the cheapest place I could find.

I tend not to go into rattlesnake country metal detecting without them on. Never heard about anyone relying on jeans to stop a strike, but I guess if they are loose and not near your leg, you would have a chance. I also look under my jeep after metal detecting when it is hot before getting in. I have had a rattlesnake curled up in the shade several times. Of course, I have also talked to people that spent many years metal detecting in the desert and the south and have never run across a snake.

Never heard about anyone relying on jeans to stop a strike, but I guess if they are loose and not near your leg, you would have a chance.

I wasn't neccessarily suggesting that anyone rely on Levis to be used for protection, only that they would absorb 80% of the venom. ( per the news story ) I've seen a lot of hikers bouncing along wearing shorts and hiking shoes. For "G's" sake people, at least wear long pants and high top boots. :tisk-tisk:

I aways ware boots and Jeans.

I have had a Snake Lock on the toe of my boot and did the War Dance trying to get it off.

For a while, I think I was swimming in air! :yuk-yuk:

Yep! Shorts and Sneakers may look cool in town, but your not in town! :inocent:

Then on the other hand, look at those Aussies. They seem to always wear shorts and detect amongst the worst snakes there are. Snakeskins are my preference too

LOL! Hey, is Steve Irwin still dead? :arrowheadsmiley: - Terry

Then on the other hand, look at those Aussies. They seem to always wear shorts and detect amongst the worst snakes there are. Snakeskins are my preference too

Snake Gardz wouldn't have saved Steve! He would have to have had Ray Gardz around his chest! :inocent:

Mike F

Most ER Docs tell me that the cases of rattler bites they see occur between the thumb and the elbow. Which means that when you bend over to pick something up or move something look around first. None the less I still wear jeans and boots. Bob

Great reading thanks... them snakes will get ya.

Working in Montana had a friend bit between thumb and first finger. He was picking up a gate stick after driving through a gate. Truck running (noise), he was in a hurry (didn't look). 3 hrs to medical care. He lost his thumb and first two fingers.

I've also run into snakes in rock cribs, and if it's really hot they will climb 2-3 feet off the ground into sage brush or Juniper.

Stopping at the Vets place is a great idea. All vets have anti-venom as livestock and dogs get bit a lot. I wear filson heavy canvas chaps over jeans. Also wear leather gloves when sticking my hand in harms way. Somewhere I have a picture of a 3' rattler climbing into rear brake drum of a lowboy trailer in the Oregon desert.

Keep smiling and stay safe...

I suppose a pair of Levi's are better than nothing, but not much. When I was bitten I saw it coming and reflexively was withdrawing my hand. Thus, the fangs only had an instant of penetration before the snake [a small very young one] was thrown off. Even though just a momentary bite, my thumb had two little holes just below the second knuckle and wouldn't stop bleeding for quite a while. I suppose some denim might serve to make some bites to the leg just glancing penetrations, as was mine. But even just a minute quantity of venom can ruin your whole day, whole week and whole months. I experienced spaced-out feelings and borderline hallucinations during the few hours immediately after the bite. In the few days following I developed red and then blackish streaks moving up my wrist and then continuing day by day up my arm. After a month the skin color of my armpit had turned a blotchy brownish color. In the following two months the discoloration expanded down the right side of my rib cage and gradually turned yellowish and finally disappeared. If I had been wearing gloves, possibly no penetration would have resulted. I like the idea of something like chaps that allow air to circulate, but are tough enough to ward off cholla needles and other prickly things. Trouble with chaps is that rattlesnakes are guided by infra-red sensing organs to the warmest point within reach, i.e., they are likely to by-pass a flapping chap and, like a heat seeking missile, just sink their pointy bad news into whatever fresh meat is exposed.

The Filson single tin wraps the leg and air moves in-out as you walk. Riding horseback they get a little warm. No hot spot for snake to find behind flappy chaps.

post-390-12651534679_thumb.jpg

Fritz

Those are good looking gear :thumbsupanim , where did you get them from and what is the cost? Looks like some gear my better half would like for our little adventures when I get back to the States. I got some snake gaters for me and the boy when we went out last year, they are a little warm but worth the extra trouble, my boy learned quick to wear them not for the snakes as much as the Jumping Colla..LOL his first experience with it, he is not a desert rat like his father, he grew up in Germany and never delt with the Colla before..LOL now he carries a leatherman everywhere he goes, like his old man told him to :inocent: ..

Best of Luck to you all

Tim

RANGERMG

Hi Tim, I've had mine for years. They also make double tin chaps, which have two layers of heavy canvas. These are not snake chaps, but are better than just wearing jeans. I've used them 10+ years in the high desert of eastern Oregon and Nevada. They do OK walking or horseback against usual puckerbrush found there. I have no experience with them in low deserts of southern Nevada or Arizona.

I don't remember where I got them, but a simple google search for Filson tin pants or chaps will find retail outlets for ya.

Keep smiling... :cigar:

Filson has been around for years...they make good quality products and they are a

little pricey...some..not many good sporting goods stores will carry a few of

their line...