Nugget Shooter Forums

New TV Series " Meteorite Man "

hey Sarge; i'm with you, their technique on camera is highly suspect...especially when they are only ten feet apart with coils a foot off the ground...Fisher must be subsidizing their equipment.

I do love the interplay between Geoff and Steve, their opposing personalities make good comedy. I enjoy the emphasis on the search and excitment even though there is a lot of potential money involved.

All in all a great respite from the usuall humdrum junk on the telly...

fred

I'm still fairly new to the meteorite hunting hobby, but I watched last night's episode, and spending the last 5 years here on Fort Bragg, and hunting flat training areas has yielded hundreds of years worth of shrapnel. I was very surprised that Geoff and Steve couldn't tell their first 4 finds were shrapnel right off the bat. I was sitting here with my wife, who really could've cared less, but I was excited, and I said "Those first 4 are shrapnel", and she said "Yeah they look like that crap you're always bringing home from Sicily DZ, hoping it's not trash." Well Geoff made the last find, and I was like "Danielle, that looks like an iron for sure." And it was, although not a piece of the 'Tucson Ring' still a new iron. The patina and edges gave it away for sure. They had to know and just wanted to keep the show interesting, right?

I doubt that the university would allow them to grandstand on its dime, even for a tv show...the personel and equipment they have access to are costly...but, what do Iknow.???

There are irons that look like shrapnel, mostly, I think, from Russia...

Fred

Fred

When it comes to getting on TV people will do strange things. I know a fellow who wants his treasure hunts on a TV show. Claimed to have found a site I did find. It was in the papers all over the USA. Problem was he dug a 8 foot hole miles from where the real site was located. He found his treasure. Some fame and 15" of water. Then he wanted to borrow some artifacts from the real site for his fake show. He said the History Channel wants to do the show. The only problem is the lack of a treasure site. I passed on that one. I don't need a army of aholes up my butt after his fake show airs.

I'm sure the University could use the exposure in todays tough times with all the cuts in AZ.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/03/_the_trail_of_lost.html

Sikhotes do have shrapnel pieces, but from the age of the Tuscon Ring they would've been a bit smoother than the shrapnel they found. Fort Bragg is littered with it, and I have yet to find any circa WWI or WWII that wasn't still wuite jagged and rough.

Geoff,

First off, I would like to thank you and Steve for your great show which has been a terrific cure for my snow covered, cabin fever, winter blues. No metal detecting here for months yet :*&$*(: I genuinely look forward to your show each week and was disappointed to find out that there is only 6 episodes. I hope you do many more. :whoope:

I had a couple of questions that I hope you can answer for me as I am curious to learn more.

I saw in Odessa that you guys were using two coil wraps on your home made coil instead of one, were you doing that to help with interference? Does it help?

I see you like the F75, do you get different target ID readings for stoneys compared to irons or stony-irons, or because the machine is only hitting on the iron/nickel content; do you get fairly similar target ID numbers in the same range regardless of the type of meteorite? If so, what are the numbers?

And lastly, what kind of percentage do you offer the land owners for searching their land? I imagine in areas where there are documented finds or falls, you can offer more than areas where your looking for new finds.

I hope you can take the time to answer these questions for me, and again, thank you for the wonderful series and I genuinely wish you guys the best of luck...looks like a blast.

PS: Let Steve know that someone thinks of you and him as the Mel Fischer's of meteorites :thumbsupanim

Thanks again,

Joe

It's a waste of time for those guy's huntin' for the "Tucson Ring". If there are any more existing pieces to it, John B. found them long ago and they are locked away in a vault somewhere. Hell, he is probably using the main mass of it right now as an end table.

Take care,

Jeff.

I think the shows of Meteorite Men is great, i have not really looked for any, like in my bio i have picked up rocks that i have no clue on what they are. My grandpa (who turns 95 in a couple months) has always said that things are only as much as what you can sell them for, hes been a business owner all his life, with this show will the price go up???? or down with a flood of meteorites that may come on the market???? Also how will people know if they are getting "taken for a ride" or not?

Gene

Well, these goes the neighborhood :lol: ... Great episode, but how many swing'n sailors will be trying to hunt the other side of the lake??? :hmmmmm: That was a nice find by Steve. I'm still hoping for one that big on BLM...Any hints John B??? :shhhhh:

Jason ;)

Watching the series with the gold basin meteorites, has brought a lot of attention to the Lake Mead Park

Service. I work right on Lake Mead, and talk to the park service employees all the time, they have informed me they are getting all kinds of calls on how to get permits to metal detect on park service lands.

• 2 weeks later...

METEORITE MEN

FIRST SEASON FINALE – TONIGHT ON SCIENCE CHANNEL – 9 pm e/p

TELL YOUR FRIENDS! – GOOD RATINGS TONIGHT COULD MEAN A SECOND SEASON FOR THEM!

METEORITE MEN

FIRST SEASON FINALE – TONIGHT ON SCIENCE CHANNEL – 9 pm e/p

TELL YOUR FRIENDS! – GOOD RATINGS TONIGHT COULD MEAN A SECOND SEASON FOR THEM!

Anyone I know who cares about meteorites (which is like 2 other people, hahaha) will be watching for sure. I thought tonight's episode was already aired a few weeks back? It's the West, Texas fall right?