Nugget Shooter Forums

Terestrial Meteorite'(s)

If a small piece of a meteorite was fused onto a terrestrial calcium carbonate conglomerate, would that lead to the question that there could be such a thing as terrestrial meteorites, or meteorites with terrestrial contamination?

If you are asking if a piece of the earth could have been ejected into space and eventually return as a meteorite...why not? We have bonifide pieces from mars, the moon and possibly other planets. I am not sure that an ejected piece of the Earth would technically be a meteorite...since it never ever escaped the Earth's gravitational field.

There have been "fossil" meteorites found, which is a more likely find...

fred

Well, Thank You most respected gentlemen. I indeed possess this piece and I am looking for someone to examine the specimen and hopefully perform a PIXIE test on the conglomerate and the small piece of suspected meteorite. The suspected piece of meteorite is fused to the terrestrial conglomerate, it has a nice fusion crust, is attracted to a magnet and reveals a light greenish interior at a natural break. This is a stone, it is not slag. For a pic, please send me an email. Thanks R4B.

Thanks for the effort, but the pictures donot show well enough for any opinion...perhaps you live near a university that has a meteorite/geology department...

fred

PS, have you tried any of the standard "is-it-a-meteorite" tests yet?

Yes the best that I can, It is attracted to a magnet, it does have a black glossy fusion crust and its interior reveals a light greenish material that appears to be stone. I don't live near any universities that study meteorites. Thanks.