Nugget Shooter Forums

Desert and/or Highway Communication

Thanx Max ... I was hoping a Ham would chime in with some information. I only know that you need a license to operate on those radios. Not surprised the truckers have gone to the Ham Radio especially where they don't need to learn code as well. Thanks for anticipating my "...---..." , I think that is the code for SOS. That's all I know! :rolleyes:

Mike F

Another option is a personal 406 EPIRB. These can be purchased online for +- $700. I have read that unlike the SPOT they will send a signal from deep canyons or under trees. There is no yearly subscription fee( I think the Air Force monitors that freq.).

L8tr,

Merton

Merton,

EPIRB's are generally used in navigatable water ways serviced by the Coast Guard or by aviation. There are lots of old class EPIRB's out there that are not tracked by satelite and can't be sold or used in the USA anymore.

Mike F

For the normal every day guy who is near or has cell phone coverage during a hunt get a Iphone. Use it along with your GPS, paper map. You have google earth, road maps, phone and can set it up so your loved one can keep track of your location from your home computer. If you have the roving eye this is not good. :evil1:

Even if you exit a coverage area your last location is noted. Plus you have a mini portable computer.