Nugget Shooter Forums

No impact on the water quality in Sac River Dredging

Mightyb

Dispite California law SB 670, which bans all Suction Dredging on all CA Rivers and Streams, dredging is going on in the Sacramento River just above Redding Ca. The EPA is stating this very large dredge is not producing negative water quality in one of the most heavily mined areas in the North State.

So Why was Suction Dredging Banned for only Small Scale Gold Mining. Dredging is Dredging is it not? Sounds like a double standard going on in CA.

Read Article at http://www.redding.com/news/2009/nov/22/iron-mountain-mine-dredging-ahead-of-schedule/

http://www.goldfinds.com

Dispite California law SB 670, which bans all Suction Dredging on all CA Rivers and Streams, dredging is going on in the Sacramento River just above Redding Ca. The EPA is stating this very large dredge is not producing negative water quality in one of the most heavily mined areas in the North State.

So Why was Suction Dredging Banned for only Small Scale Gold Mining. Dredging is Dredging is it not? Sounds like a double standard going on in CA.

Read Article at http://www.redding.com/news/2009/nov/22/iron-mountain-mine-dredging-ahead-of-schedule/

http://www.goldfinds.com

Well the statue of Jesus isnt going to please the Democrats any either!

Now the article says that the dredging is to clean up the tailings. So if they are going under the premise that they are doing good...who signed off on this?

Also if this dredging is doing good, then can the PLP and the dredgers make their case that their dredging has the same impact? :shrug:

It is a well know fact that US Army Corps of Engineers utilizes large industrial dredges in the Eastern U.S for the sole purpose of removing toxic material from river and lake beds. The Corps of Engineers claims that the amount of toxic material resuspended as a result of the dredging is many times less than what would be released naturally in a single year if the toxic material had not been removed by the dredges.

It is a well know fact that US Army Corps of Engineers utilizes large industrial dredges in the Eastern U.S for the sole purpose of removing toxic material from river and lake beds. The Corps of Engineers claims that the amount of toxic material resuspended as a result of the dredging is many times less than what would be released naturally in a single year if the toxic material had not been removed by the dredges.

Exactly, I believe US Army Corps is right, and even a large suction dredge does not resuspend even mercury. That site on the Sac River is right below many gold mines other than Iron Mtn, and I'm very sure they are dredging up lots of mercury. And the water quality is not compromised.

Quote from the article. "Scientists have been running daily tests of the water, which flows into the Sacramento River north of Redding, she said.

"We've had no impact on the water quality," Wetmore said."

www.goldfinds.com

Yes they are runing the tests through THEIR LAB as the river runs putrid green. Bureauratz speak with forked tongue. This is an encapsulated positive displacement dredge with NO RECOVERY SYSTEM. It pumps over a mile over a 600'+ coffer dam through a multistaged pumping systems in a 2'+ pipe. The courts will decide just how much they lie when we go to court over their dumping toxins straight into Flat/spring creek too-John :*&$*(:

Here is the PDF put out by the EPA on the dredging project.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/r9/sfund/r9sfdocw.nsf/3dc283e6c5d6056f88257426007417a2/87692a5a7304e22a882575df0067b8e2/$FILE/IMM6_09%20257%20kb.pdf

I am currently researching this topic to see what kind of impact they are really having. My contention is that if their dredging is actually cleaning up the contamination, then how can that be related to the dredging that small time prospectors are doing.

But in any case, as the water they are dredging is said to be some of the dirtiest water in the world, I wonder how their tests are true? How bad is bad?

Also this study states that there are "Current metal discharges" from Iron MTN. They are building a collection point for these discharges while they are dredging for past discharges. On the creeks and streams that prospecting small time dredgers, dredge...there would be no current discharge. So the dredging would be even more beneficial to the water course would it not?

Anyone else looking to research this may get some answers from these 2 contacts by the way:

EPA Site Manager Richard Sugarek (415)972-3151 sugarek.richard@epa.gov US EPA Region 9

75 Hawthorne Street

San Francisco, CA 94015

EPA Community

Involvement Coordinator Svetlana Zenkin 415-972-3085

1-800-231-3075 Zenkin.Svetlana@epamail.epa.gov Mail Code SFD3

75 Hawthorne Street

San Francisco, CA 94105

For those of you that dont want to read all of the PDF, here is a propaganda video put out by the EPA. I am trying to figure out whether they are concerned about the enviroment or that its a shovel ready project and that they have created (saved) jobs. Now both of these are good, but as I do more and more research, I am finding less reason to relate any of this material to the dredgers situation. Perhaps someone more hands on to the issue can pull together the needed info,

It's not about the water quality or fish ........... It's about the Indians shooting poison political arrows, freely given to them by other rich tribes and radical environmental groups such as the Sierra Club............. As long as dredging follows the regulations set forth in the last permit, there has been zero nada no facts from any study that shows dredging to be detrimantal to water quality or fish!

It's not about the water quality or fish ........... It's about the Indians shooting poison political arrows, freely given to them by other rich tribes and radical environmental groups such as the Sierra Club............. As long as dredging follows the regulations set forth in the last permit, there has been zero nada no facts from any study that shows dredging to be detrimantal to water quality or fish!

Yes you have stated this time and again and I have even agreed with you. But please understand HOW to play the game. If they are stating that dredging is detrimental to the fish, then the question posed (and not by me) was how is the EPA getting away with dredging?

I am looking at that side and trying to find out how they are coming up with their numbers on water quality during dredging and trying to relate that to the small dredging that the prospectors are doing.

I think I am trying to make the point that is the EPA is dredging in an area that is still experiencing an ongoing contamination process and that the dredging is helping to remove contaminates, then it would stand that in an area like a creek or stream with NO ONGOING contamination, the dredging by prospectors would have an even more beneficial effect. If that can be proven, then would that not take the feet out from under the claims by the Karuks?

Can someone other than yourself take an interest in this topic?

• 3 weeks later...

Its kinda Like this take East Fork San Gabriel it has had every know type of gold prospecting done there for about 150 years tons of hydraulicing, river diverted, damed, dredging, you name it.

Miraculously it has this endangered spices there i don't remember if its the toad or some sucker fish but it's there. it doesn't seem to be in any of the other streams in the area. so why is it in that stream?

Is it the fact its been torn up over and over an prospecting doesn't hurt them or was it planted?

What i'm getting at is we have all been screwed one way or the other. it doesn't mater if we are not harming anything they want you locked down in the concert jungle.