Nugget Shooter Forums

Head Phones

Hilander

I want to by new head phones. I have decided on Black Widows. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who sells them? About how much I will be paying. Thanks for any help.

Check with Bill Southern, he runs this forum, not sure he carries Blackwidows, But Rob Allison does if Bill Don't . You can contact him on www.nuggethunting.com. I think they are around $126.00 maybe a bit more. so don't quote me on it. but you can look up the price on line Grubstake

I want to by new head phones. I have decided on Black Widows. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who sells them? About how much I will be paying. Thanks for any help.

Hey, I have heard a heck of a lot of good about the "Black Widow" headphones. What made you decide on these particular headphones? I know a lot of experienced weed wackers use them, but I just cant tell the difference between any of them besides the ability to block out outside noise. Sure, some headphones have a cheap sounding "tinny" speaker, but dont all good stereo headphones have speakers that would give great attennuation on the wee-woo of a PI detector? On a zip-zip of a VLF?

I have always chosen a headphone that blocked out outside noise best, was durable and rugged, and fit comfortably after 8 hours of having them on. After 30 years of nugget shooting I still cant tell much difference. I have pretty bad hearing loss on one ear and moderate loss in another so maybe I just cant tell the difference?

What do you guys say? Why are the "Black WIdow" the going thing nowdays?

Since I have lost almost 1/2 my hearing (way too much close in loud noise in Nam) this may be of interest to some. On My first trip to Brazil, Don introduced me to these. I got a set after that trip and would never ever go back to ear muff headsets. They do not even need any additional amplification such as a signal booster. I will honestly say, I attribute to finding much more gold using these. They can be worn with any head gear, wind has minimal effect and they weigh next to nothing.

Click on Chamelion Ear and I have the Jabra set way down at the bottom. That way if I should happen to break a cord, the cord and speakers are very easy to replace.

Link to hearing great

I don't use headphones at all anymore. I have two external speakers mounted on my shoulder and let the power of the GPX4500 and the LI battery with internal amp power them. Montana showed me the way and I have never looked back. I do have my stock headphones as backup in the truck just in case but they are awfully dusty at this point!

Mike F.

You know that is a great idea! I often hang my headphones on my backpack and just use them "externally" when hunting meteorites and detecting cabins and stuff. I am not sure that I would be able to hear small nuggets like that...How does that work in the wind?

H you do not decide what earphones are best--the engineer who planned your unit has set it up for a specific impedence and the mfgr(you posted none) will be more than happy to assist in your quest for the perfect headphone impedence for your unit SPECIFICALLY-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :thumbsupanim

Bedroock Bob ... if your question is about the external mount speaker system ... they are available on the AZO site from Chris using Montana's own design and mounting instructions. Bill probably has them available on this site too or something very similar. Basically it is a take-off from the old DeTacc speaker/amp system except that with the 4500 the amp is already in the the battery case ... you only need the specailly wired dual speakers and phono stereo plug. The only time that this system is inferior to headphones is on very windy days ... a slight breeze up to 10-12 mph is not usually a problem. Volume, Threshold and Pitch/Tone are all controled from the rear panel of the 4500. The whole set up is attached permently via plastic wire ties to my Outpak Elite (AZO backpack/harness after-market product) harness. If Bill doesn't have it available ask Chris about it.

BTW ... Montana does not use headphones any more since he switched to the shoulder mounted external speakers except in rare instances of high wind or external noise factors ... or maybe when he is in stealth mode on a new patch! :inocent:

Happy New Year,

Mike F.

126 on feebay new shipped, I like Sunray Pro Gold phones are excellent quality. I didn't care for the over sized clups on the black widows they were way too tight fitting, I used them one time and sold them. Detectorpro Grey Ghost are much more comfortable for long day of detectn.

Bedrock Bob,

I like external speakers too, but as Mike said, in the wind it's gotta be headphones.

Otherwise, external speakers are a great way to go.

They also work great as a teaching tool.

In a group it is a little hard if you are close to other hunters.

All the best,

Flak

Thanks guys, You have given me some great information. I have an Eureka Gold. I guess I need to read the book to see what phones will best fit the unit. I do still have the set which came with the unit, but I was not sure they were proforming correctly, as I seem to only find (like everyone else)small tacks, wire, shot, and bullets. I have been detecting for about 2 years in earnest. I know I'm detecting in the right places, just haven't been lucky yet. Thanks again for the feed back.

Good hunting and be safe

Thanks guys, You have given me some great information. I have an Eureka Gold. I guess I need to read the book to see what phones will best fit the unit. I do still have the set which came with the unit, but I was not sure they were proforming correctly, as I seem to only find (like everyone else)small tacks, wire, shot, and bullets. I have been detecting for about 2 years in earnest. I know I'm detecting in the right places, just haven't been lucky yet. Thanks again for the feed back.

Good hunting and be safe

I've found buckets of the stuff you're describing, but I've also found some nice, sassy nuggets. Just keep swinging that coil--if you're finding little bits of metal, you'll eventually find the gold. Get into the tougher areas--move some rocks--carefully detect under bushes (watch out for snakes), find some old dry-wash piles (there's gold in them), if you're not in the desert, find where the old-timers hand-stacked rock piles shallow on bedrock and move them down to the bedrock--there's still gold there too--go real slow on the cracks and crevices, and if the bedrock is in perpendicular sheets, pry them apart and detect again. Most of the time, in an area that's been detected heavily, you'll have to move things as the easy stuff has usually been taken already. So, don't be afraid to get a pitch-fork/rock-fork of some kind, bend the tines 90 degrees and drag off those surface rocks/knock down those rock piles/knock down those old rock walls--sometimes you'll find a little strip of virgin ground underneath and then you'll have some fun!

All the best.

Bedroock Bob ... if your question is about the external mount speaker system ... they are available on the AZO site from Chris using Montana's own design and mounting instructions. Bill probably has them available on this site too or something very similar. Basically it is a take-off from the old DeTacc speaker/amp system except that with the 4500 the amp is already in the the battery case ... you only need the specailly wired dual speakers and phono stereo plug. The only time that this system is inferior to headphones is on very windy days ... a slight breeze up to 10-12 mph is not usually a problem. Volume, Threshold and Pitch/Tone are all controled from the rear panel of the 4500. The whole set up is attached permently via plastic wire ties to my Outpak Elite (AZO backpack/harness after-market product) harness. If Bill doesn't have it available ask Chris about it.

BTW ... Montana does not use headphones any more since he switched to the shoulder mounted external speakers except in rare instances of high wind or external noise factors ... or maybe when he is in stealth mode on a new patch! :inocent:

Happy New Year,

Mike F.

Thanks Mike!

It sounds a lot like what I do with the headphones anyway. I especially like the comment "except in rare instances of high wind"! Yeah, the wind is generally not blowing harder than 60-80 mph here. As long as you dont roll up your sleeves your tatoo will not blow off. On these type of days the external speakers are fine. When the wind is really bad...say hard enough to break an eardrum when you turn your head into it...then headphones are appropriate.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Since I have lost almost 1/2 my hearing (way too much close in loud noise in Nam) this may be of interest to some. On My first trip to Brazil, Don introduced me to these. I got a set after that trip and would never ever go back to ear muff headsets. They do not even need any additional amplification such as a signal booster. I will honestly say, I attribute to finding much more gold using these. They can be worn with any head gear, wind has minimal effect and they weigh next to nothing.

Click on Chamelion Ear and I have the Jabra set way down at the bottom. That way if I should happen to break a cord, the cord and speakers are very easy to replace.

Link to hearing great

Hey Steve,

Tell us a little more about these headphones, they have an 1/8" stereo plug, right? Then you need an female/male adapter plug up to the 1/4" headphone input? How about the volume control, do you simply just use the detector on board volume control or is there another volume control on your headset/earplug cord?

There was a guy at the local gunshow, making ear casts for mp3 earbuds, or bluetooth adaptations, then he makes the custom silicone earplugs, which seal out ALL extraneous sounds... wind, rattlesnakes, cougars, and whatever. I bought some, and should have them in hand later this week. He casts them to fit whatever ear bud shape you need, and if you lose/break the tiny wire, you can replace the thing quickly, providing you have a replacement in hand. AND if you lose the one or both of the silicone ear plugs, he can make you replacements quickly, as he keeps the master copy.

Hope they work! That wind thing can really ruin a trip to the goldfields, and such hearing type aids, are yet another great tool, I would think. More later when I try them out...

Thanks (I think) for the tip!

Gary

Gary, You are going to love them! Please report back with a review. No volume control needed. they are perfect.

I got mine fitted at a gunshow by a company called Custom Ear Protection.The unit is actually made by a company called EAR inc. (www.earinc.com) and is the Chameleon model. Don warned me the weakest part of his set was the wires, they were easy to break. So I had mine set up to have mini ear bud type of speaker to plug right into the custom ear mold I had to supply a set of my earbuds for the perfect fit. They are very inexpensive and have super high quality sound and very easy to carry a spare set. Yes, I must use an adapter to plug into the battery. Cost of ear mold $125, ear bud speakers $20.

Hot days, cold days, windy days..... no bother at all. You can wear any headgear.

post-1252-126331413063_thumb.jpg

post-1252-126331413206_thumb.jpg

Gary, You are going to love them! Please report back with a review. No volume control needed. they are perfect.

I got mine fitted at a gunshow by a company called Custom Ear Protection.The unit is actually made by a company called EAR inc. (www.earinc.com) and is the Chameleon model. Don warned me the weakest part of his set was the wires, they were easy to break. So I had mine set up to have mini ear bud type of speaker to plug right into the custom ear mold I had to supply a set of my earbuds for the perfect fit. They are very inexpensive and have super high quality sound and very easy to carry a spare set. Yes, I must use an adapter to plug into the battery. Cost of ear mold $125, ear bud speakers $20.

Hot days, cold days, windy days..... no bother at all. You can wear any headgear.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the response!

Yours sounds just about like mine, I had the guy make mine fit the same generic earpiece that is found in most MP3 players, and yes, I already have a spare cord. I may even get another spare, as I think that they may not last long.

I should have the ear plugs in hand later on this week. The only thing I am concerned about is the volume, and how

much or little I might need.

I bought one of Docs Gold Screamer amps a few months ago, so with this new ear mould, I

am not sure if I will need the amp now. I will have to be more vigilant with the snake thing, but I guess a guy could take one of the ear plugs out, if he got into a nasty spot where the snakes might be a big problem.

The guy doing the ear casts seemed to keep busy. He was out of Salt Lake. I know you can buy starter kits doing that sort of thing, and the supplier includes a banner to put up at your booth...

Thanks again!

Gary

I have one of Doc's signal enhancers. I have stopped using it, I had to keep the setting so low to avoid blowing out my ears, I quit using it..period. I have two spare sets of ear buds, but have not had to use one yet! I think Don still uses his signal enhancer, but his earbud speakers are built into the earmolds and I am not sure of the quality of those speakers.......

My hearing is so bad, if it works for me, it should work for anyone..........

• 2 weeks later...

I just decided to purchase the black widows also after hearing some reviews and robs recomendations.

I can tell you that sportsmans guide is selling them for $112 if you are a member, also dicks sporting goods online has them and offers discount coupons online at times. I bough mine from a prospecting shop for $115 on cc or $110 in cash. Mine should show up in the next few days

I just decided to purchase the black widows also after hearing some reviews and robs recomendations.

I can tell you that sportsmans guide is selling them for $112 if you are a member, also dicks sporting goods online has them and offers discount coupons online at times. I bough mine from a prospecting shop for $115 on cc or $110 in cash. Mine should show up in the next few days

They came in today. at first inspection im not horribly impressed, they do have a consumer feel like they are not the highest quality of build and the brackets seem kind of cheap, the pots for adjusting each sound seem really cheap. On the other hand the toggle switches seem to be decent quality. I though they'd block out more sound when put on in quiet enviroment. They fit very snug and secure. Im looking forward to trying them on my detector. They are probably well worht the 126 price tag. I priced a replacment cord for a profession headset today and it was $70 alone so a very good deal.

robbor,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how durable those headphones http://www.detectorpro.com/blackwidow.htm really are. That is unless you walk or sit or drop boulders on them, etc. They are an instrument, and should be treated as such.

Detector Pro did't become one of the foremost headphone/detector companies, by building substandard equipment.

I hope you noted the warranty that came with your headphones. I have owned many of the Detector Pro headphones,

and have been pleased across the board. If I had a problem with any (1 time, a broken wire) they took care of it,

when I needed to have the ear cushion replaced, they had become cracked with age, the Detector Pro folks replaced them for a nominal fee. So sleep easy, knowing you have made a good choice in headphones.

~LARGO~

• 2 weeks later...

Good Mornin' has anyone used "Koss P9 Under Chin Headphones" that Chris sells??? I'd like to see a review of them. The price must be a misprint at $10. for that price they are almost disposable and I'd carry a set as an emergency spare headset. I see they have Impedance of 32 ohms, so should run good on that Eureka Gold that Hilander runs.

Fritz ... I bought a set a couple years ago from Chris when I bought my second GP3000 ... the one I got for my son. They worked well ... I still have them in the truck and would try them on my GPX4500 in an emergency if I lost my external speakers and then the stock Koss headphones too. The little in line volume control was handy too! I was a skeptic at the $10 price too ... but they worked well on the GP3000 in hot weather either here in the desert or home on the beaches of the NH seacoast.

For $10 bucks if you don't like them give them to a kid for their IPOD!

Mike F

Hi Mike, sounds like they're worth the 10 bucks. Question, does the speaker sit infront or under your ear??? I'm trying to picture what they look like when you wear them. I assume you can wear them with any widebrim hat, not just a baseball cap?

Keep smiling... :cigar: