Nugget Shooter Forums

PSA: GPS'S AND.....

garimpo

This has nothing to do with gold or detecting although it is related as you'll see...

the GPS is a great piece of equipment as most of us use...but sometimes I think

common sense should prevail...this post is an example of what I mean about common sense..

KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — A Nevada couple letting their SUV's navigation system guide them through the high desert of Eastern Oregon got stuck in snow for three days when the GPS unit sent them down a remote forest road.

On Sunday, atmospheric conditions apparently changed enough for their GPS-enabled cell phone to get a weak signal and relay coordinates to a dispatcher, Klamath County Sheriff Tim Evinger said.

"GPS almost did 'em in and GPS saved 'em," Evinger said. "It will give you options to pick the shortest route. You certainly get the shortest route. But it may not be a safe route."

Evinger said a Lake County deputy found the couple in the Winema-Fremont National Forest outside the small town of Silver Lake on Sunday afternoon and pulled their four-wheel-drive Toyota Sequoia out of the snow with a winch.

John Rhoads, 65, and his wife, Starry Bush-Rhoads, 67, made it home safely to Reno, Nev., Evinger said.

The couple was well-equipped for winter travel, carrying food, water and warm clothes, the sheriff said.

"Their statement was, being prepared saved their life," he said.

The couple had been in Portland and followed their GPS as it directed them south on U.S. Highway 97 to Oregon Highway 31, which goes through Silver Lake and Lakeview before connecting with U.S. Highway 395 to Reno, Evinger said.

In the town of Silver Lake, the unit told them to turn right on Forest Service Road 28, and they followed that and some spur roads nearly 35 miles before getting stuck in about 1 1/2 feet of snow near Thompson Reservoir, the sheriff said.

"For some reason they finally got a weak signal after 2 1/2 days," Evinger said. "They called in. They alternated between two different cell phone numbers."

A GPS-enabled phone is able to send its coordinates to 911, and eventually one of the couple's phones sent its location to the dispatcher's console, the sheriff said.

Hi Don!

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My brother thought I needed a GPS, so he bought me one several years ago. I found that the best use for it is as a paper weight on my desk. It does a wonderful job!

I guess I could learn to use it to mark claim corners more accurately, etc. I just ain't fond of all this new technology.

Good story!

I hope you are doing well!

Rattlesnake Jim

Roswell, NM

The GPS is a great tool, but if you replace your brain with it, you will get in trouble. :tisk-tisk:

If the GPS says turn down a forrest service road in a snow storm, and you do it until you are stuck, you are a certifiable moron. :arrowheadsmiley:

Humans are capable of using common sense, and that can be more powerful than any computer program. :twocents:

When you leave a highway and see you are on an uncleared road with deep snow, perhaps that brain in your head should tell you "Hey, this is bad, perhaps I should turn around while I still can."

GPS units are great for marking claims, finding old mines, etc. I use mine regularly, but it does not override my common sense.

Chris

Guest bedrock bob

One more good argument for a topo map. While the mapping programs and GPS are great for what they are designed for, nothing can beat a map in a real world situation.

Bob

New technology will fail you when you need it the most. When my guys shoot them with their space gun zapper and it does not work I'm ready with my chew tobacco and club. GPS and map. Keep track on the map as you go. :spinnin:

New technology will fail you when you need it the most. When my guys shoot them with their space gun zapper and it does not work I'm ready with my chew tobacco and club. GPS and map. Keep track on the map as you go. :spinnin:

Man...I'm staying out of Penn....I'll take "water boarding" over "chewing tobacco." anyday...

A great statement Reno Chris:The GPS is a great tool, but if you replace your brain with it, you will get in trouble