Nugget Shooter Forums

Question about the GM3 and a little detecting today

wjbell

Well, it was probably nothing but I went out to a local creek and was detecting. Found a faint sounding target but I'm digging everything unless I can tell it's ground minerals or definite iron. So all I brought with me today was a plastic garden spade. So I dig down about six inches and it's louder. Dig down a foot, same thing, louder. So I'm digging and digging and pretty soon I have a 6" diameter hole that's as deep as my arm is long.

The signal got better and better the more I cleared dirt off the top of whatever is in there, even though the coil is at the same distance from the object from when I started digging.

I've noticed with iron disc on that you have to get a strong signal or be close to something before the machine will give the broken signal. IOW, I've dug a bottlecap that didn't give the iron signal until I got down closer to it. So is that normal for the GM3?

So it's making a non broken signal from 2 1/2 feet. It's either some iron that isn't giving the iron signal or a nice big fat gold nugget. :yuk-yuk: I'm thinking of going back with a real shovel and at least finding out what it is, at least for identifying purposes later.

I would suggest going back and digging it out, just so you will know that you didn't walk away from your first nugget, you may also find that it is your first nugget, only one way to find out.

It is possible that the target is in the side of the hole and not down the length of your arm.

Skip

I'm thinking it may be in the side of the hole too. Can't wait to see what you have found!

It's in that same creek system you told me about that goes behind home depot.. except a little ways upstream. I know you said it's flakes there, but those flakes came from somewhere upstream... :shrug:

Make sure you update us man. I'm curious.

Make sure you update us man. I'm curious.

Will do. I'll probably go back there Sat after Christmas and do some more searching.

If the signal is only slightly breaking on a target I would dig it. The minerals in the ground mixed with a non ferrous object can sometimes read like a faint iron signal. Its also normal for the iron discrimination to get better the closer you get to the target.