Nugget Shooter Forums

Going to Western AZ in late February. Just wanted to say hi.

Hi everyone. I really have enjoyed reading the posts for the last few years. The reason I like this hobby is reflected in the postings regarding Jim Smaller. I hope we are all remembered like that. I finally joined this forum because I am finding a way to get some time for business (and that means vacations tacked on) in Arizona. While I live at 8600 feet, I hate snow. Winter: mid-November to April. I have not had the opportunity to detect for meteorites, though we do have a few known falls in Colorado. Since I live in the mountains, I tend to hunt ghost towns and gold mining areas. Of course, when I find an old homestead or park, I cannot resist. I do make an occasional trip to the beaches near Sebastian, FL. I just wanted to introduce myself a little (won’t do that again).

I am going to spend February 25-28 or so in the Franconia and Gold Basin area. I have been doing my research and I think I have pretty good coordinates for the strewn fields and areas of interest (so I am not trying to bleed anyone for information). Between Google searches, old posts on this Forum, and the Google Earth add-on for meteorites, I have a pretty good idea where to start. I have a Whites DFX that I believe will handle the conditions there (if not, I guess I will be buying another detector in Wickenburg!). But I have been programming my DFX using a couple of meteorites I picked up a few years ago. I have had to deal with hot rocks in Colorado (though we do not have the salt deposits). My only reason for this post is to introduce myself and if anyone is going to be in those areas during that time, I would like to meet them. I have a Black Jeep Rubicon (CB will be set on Channel 21). I will probably post something again (but not this wordy) at the beginning of February. And yes, while I am proficient at detecting in Colorado, I always listen to advice (probably been doing it wrong all of these years!).

My original plans were to do some gold prospecting (yea, I know it is not a Minelab 4500!), but the advice I got about playing like I wanted to join local clubs so I could visit their claims did not seem right to me. I think I will try to do a business trip (with a field surveillence component) to Alaska and try some gold detecting up there!

Take care and hope your holidays are great.

CamColo,

Welcome from neighboring New Mexico. Good luck on your adventures. I'm sure some of the members who are familiar with Franconia and Gold Basin will help out. A ton of great and helpful folks on this forum. I have not hunted Franconia or Gold Basin so I have no information, sorry. I am planning on taking my grandson Zaya to Franconia this spring for a week or so. Hope you have a great time, good luck and even better memories. Merry Christmas!

Dean

Hi Cam,

Sounds like you might be from central part of the state. I'm over in southwestern part. Glad to hear you are getting an opportunity to try your machine in AZ. I'm hoping to do that sometime soon myself.

Best of luck on your trip. Hope you find a big meteorite or many small ones. Gold nuggets would be great too.

Mike in CO

Hi everyone. I really have enjoyed reading the posts for the last few years. The reason I like this hobby is reflected in the postings regarding Jim Smaller. I hope we are all remembered like that. I finally joined this forum because I am finding a way to get some time for business (and that means vacations tacked on) in Arizona. While I live at 8600 feet, I hate snow. Winter: mid-November to April. I have not had the opportunity to detect for meteorites, though we do have a few known falls in Colorado. Since I live in the mountains, I tend to hunt ghost towns and gold mining areas. Of course, when I find an old homestead or park, I cannot resist. I do make an occasional trip to the beaches near Sebastian, FL. I just wanted to introduce myself a little (won’t do that again).

I am going to spend February 25-28 or so in the Franconia and Gold Basin area. I have been doing my research and I think I have pretty good coordinates for the strewn fields and areas of interest (so I am not trying to bleed anyone for information). Between Google searches, old posts on this Forum, and the Google Earth add-on for meteorites, I have a pretty good idea where to start. I have a Whites DFX that I believe will handle the conditions there (if not, I guess I will be buying another detector in Wickenburg!). But I have been programming my DFX using a couple of meteorites I picked up a few years ago. I have had to deal with hot rocks in Colorado (though we do not have the salt deposits). My only reason for this post is to introduce myself and if anyone is going to be in those areas during that time, I would like to meet them. I have a Black Jeep Rubicon (CB will be set on Channel 21). I will probably post something again (but not this wordy) at the beginning of February. And yes, while I am proficient at detecting in Colorado, I always listen to advice (probably been doing it wrong all of these years!).

My original plans were to do some gold prospecting (yea, I know it is not a Minelab 4500!), but the advice I got about playing like I wanted to join local clubs so I could visit their claims did not seem right to me. I think I will try to do a business trip (with a field surveillence component) to Alaska and try some gold detecting up there!

Take care and hope your holidays are great.

CamColo,

I was in Santa Maria this past May for a men's conference, and the area really impressed me with its beautiful scenery. I too dislike the white stuff, especially today, and I'm sure you have much more of it than I do. I live south in Security Co., and thought about coming back to the area this coming spring to do a little detecting, panning, and sluicing. Are there any open areas not claimed along the South Platte? I also enjoy fly fishing so the two hobbies compliment each other. Your correct about belong to local clubs, as they tend to talk a lot and not do much.

With regards to going to Gold Basin to hunt for meteorites, contact Guido over at the Nuggethunting forum (nuggethunting.com). He lives in Las Vegas, but like to hunt meteors (and gold) at Gold Basin and has a good general knowledge of the area. Send me a PM and I will give you his contact information. I'll send him an email tonight and tell him to expect you to contact him. Enjoy.

h20prospector

Thanks. I will probably post again around Feb 1st or so in case anyone is going to be around during that time. I spent hours scouring message boards for Franconia and Gold Basin locations and then plotted them out. I think I have a really good idea of where to hunt. I also found another area that I want to do some reconnaissance on based on some photos I located. I am more cautious that the program I have in my machine will work as I predict it will. Works on the meteorite samples I have, but is different somewhat from the Whites V3 meteorite program. I am also pricing the Whites GMT. May get one of those to play with. I kinda wanted a higher frequency machine for gold detection anyway. I do appreciate the information that has been posted on this forum (old posts) about locations, techniques for finding meteorites, etc. The only thing I have to order next week is a good magnet and Turtleskin snake gaiters (need these because i will be heading to OK and AR this summer for detecting and diamond hunting).

Curt

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck Curt, I hope the trip planning goes smoothly. Maybe I can make it up there at the same time, so let me know as soon as your schedule is nailed down. I've recovered meteorites with the GMT and GM3. I haven't tried using my DFX b/c I have the other machines available. If I stumble on any programs for meteorites, I'll let you know.

Speaking of NM, I'd love to hunt Portales Valley or Glorietta Mtn (if I knew where they were...). ;-)

Mark

Mark,

I will let you know. I will post again 1st week in Feb. My trip is firm (teaching a course Feb 23-24th). I have not really settled between Franconia, Gold Basin or both or neither. Always open to suggestions. But, i believe that Feb 25-28 are firm for me. I am just trying to decide what to hit on the way to Scottsdale (Feb 20-22).

There is a program for meteorites on the new Whites V3. You can see it in their users guide. I took it and am using a couple of 2 gram meteorites I have to fine tune it for the DFX. I have several coils but am going to tune it for a 6x9 DD and a Bigfoot Coil. I prefer the latter since it is narrow and covers a lot of ground. I have found alot with it (just get it a little hot). It is nice because when you go to all metal only half of the coil is active. If I think it looks like the DFX will work (and it seems like it will be great for meteorites), I will probably just bring them. I considered buying a GMT, but I need to be able to use it in Arizona, Alaska, California, etc enough. I am not sure Colorado has gold that could be detected with a GMT or gold detector.

Curt