Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
frank c

New Mods for Nellybelle

Well its time to tear it apart and get it up to par so I hope I can have it rebuilt an runnin for next year sometime. Ol Nellybelle has been sittin in the yard for about 2 years I'm pullin the block out to see whats hapn with #5 cylander. Theres a new head on it already, SO I might be askin some tech questions here in the not too distant future about gettin this baby back together. Then I can get to some places I've been wanting to for quite some time.

ONE GOOD thing about it, it doesn't have a brain its an 81. But neither do I sometimes :stupidrb: I guess thats why I like it we're alot alike.

post-562-126135381196_thumb.jpg

post-562-126135386874_thumb.jpg

Frank give ole Nellybelle a little TLC and she'll take you places you might not want to go....HAPPY BEEPING....

Aloha Frank,

Once you get ole nellybelle up to par and running you will be hard to reckon with for sure. I have had so many offers for my 92 wrangler it is amazing. Just wont part with it for anything tho. Too much fun going were others or wont go!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Good luck with the rebuild. BTW, while you have the engine area cleared you might want to double check the exhaust manifold as that is the one weak link of jeeps. They tend to crack due to the vibration and flexing.

Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka and a Hauoli Makahiki Hou!

Stan aka Kaimi

Looking forward to watching the project.

Those 258's were tough motors. The carbs could be a pain in the butt though.

Blake

What is number 5 cylinder doing wrong? misfire? smoking? knocking?

I would do a compression and leakdown test before you take it apart. You want to take it apart to fix it, not to find the problem. A leakdown test can differentiate between cracked rings/ leaking valves/ hole in piston/ etc. Once you take it apart you will lose the ability to do several tests. The only reason I was concerned was that you mentioned new heads. I would bet on a mis adjusted valve in that case. Any cylinder damage should have been evident when it was taken apart. with a compression test and a leakdown you should be able to be 99% sure of what is wrong. It really sucks to take the heads off of an engine to find out that the valve was adjusted too tight.

Guest bedrock bob

And I was going to keepy mouth shut, but I just cant!

Unless you need machine work, you dont have to take the engine out. I have replaced rings and bearings, ridge reamed and honed, and even polished the nicks out of a crankshaft while the engine was on the mounts. There is the cleanliness factor to be considered, but in your clean shop it will work slick.

And Jagdoctor is right...you need to find out what is wrong first so you know what it is that needs to be done.

That exhaust manifold cracks because the heat damper gets stuck closed. Take that sucker out if you live in Az and you will never notice it. It will be slow to warm up in cold environments if you do, but when it is warm you will not notice it. Put headers on it and a manifold heater if it is already cracked and you will be pleased.

Bob

Engines out started takin it apart late yesterday and lifted the motor out this morning Now starts the time consuming part......

YEAH YEAH HEADERS, I had those on my 34 Ford Tudor, built that one from the ground up 64 327 vette engine ford rear etc.etc. Wish I kept that one fer sure.

When I got the jeeper I rebuilt the carb and cleaned up a bunch of wires to get it running. I took it apart because it had a knock, bad and uneven comp. needs a whole clutch routine, radiator, steering box seal or replace, gas tank cleaned out,etc.etc.

Its OLD and needs rejuvenation , I'll put a ford 2100 carb on it redo the distributor,water pump,starter,REWIRE THE WHOLE DAMM THING etc.etc.

Make it "Smog=Pruff" YEAH YEAH HEADERS....relocate a bunch of stuff add a rack and "Wallah" turn it into a reliable cammo painted buggy I can enjoy.That gets 19-21 MPG. I love it, All it takes is MOOLAH,WAMPUM,Yeah Yeah, Wish I had some of that. Oh well I can furnish the labor for free. :twocents:

Good luck

DAY 2 , OH MY GOD :*&$*(: MY ENGINE IS IN A ZILLION PIECES AND THE HEAD CAME OFF THE MOTOR BLOCK NOW WHAT AM I GONNA DO, OH HOLY NUGGET I'M IN DEEP TURD NOW, I DONT THINK I'LL REMEMBER HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN, AND A MOUSE AN A BLACK WIDOW SPIDER WERE INSIDE IT THATS PROBABLY WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT ALL THESE YEARS. DAMMM I'M IN DEEP :stupidrb: DOO DOO NOW.

SANY1192.jpg

Guest bedrock bob

If'n that engine is anything like my Land Cruiser engine (2F)...and I believe it is almost identical in every way... Remember to resurface the lifters and put a chamfer on the outside edges. The solid lifters "cup" a little, the edges get sharp and chip off. Mine wears out a camshaft fast too, and most of the wear is in the long valve train. When those lifters get "cupped" they will cease rotating and wear themselves (and their respective cam lobes) very fast. If the camshaft is not perfect I would spring fro a new one that is of good manufacture...some of those aftermarket cams are just resurfaced reground used camshafts.

I have a Holley 7448 2 bbl carb on mine. It gives a lot better mileage and performance than the stock 2 bbl carb. Also if you can get a solid state electronic ingnition you will be happy. I fought with a semi transistorized ignition for years and found a stock electronic system for peanuts at the salvage yard. A really good move!

Here is the "Bush Doctor" before and after shots.

post-21188-126151783521_thumb.jpg

post-21188-126151785029_thumb.jpg

Why do I think you are pulling our legs?

Guest bedrock bob

Me? Dunno, why? Do you think I am pulling your leg?

Nice lookin buggy bob I'll bet you put some time into that one.

Guest bedrock bob

Thanks Frank!

18 months. I sandblasted the frame, ground the body down to metal, and replaced every moving part throughout. It was original factory specs besides the carb. That was ten years ago. Today that rig has 650,000 miles on it and still runs like a top.

That was my first one. I had 6 up until last year. I sold my best project, a little red 1969 FJ-40 hard top that I did the exact same way...complete in every respect.

I did all the work myself...fabrication, mechanics and body work. Spent about $3000 in parts and materials and probably 200 hours on the "Bush Doctor". $3500 and 200 hours on the "Soul Rebel". I sold the "Soul Rebel" for $9,500 when gas hit $4 a gallon. I had about $5,000 into it, so it worked out to about minimum wage!

I love the Land Cruiser. Jeeps are cool too. That kind of rig will set you free!

Bob

Hey Steve did you mean ME ????

No I'm not pulling yer leg I really did rip it apart overnight, it won't go back together that quick though. And yeah there really was a mouse and a black widow in it I wouldn't kid ya. :inocent:

the 2100 is a great carb for your aplication. Also I would look into the HEI conversion distributor.

If Clifford performance is still around, I would check out their intake and header.

The valves are not adjustable so make sure your machine shop knows what they are doing. If you get a performance camshaft, make sure the base circle is the same.

Keep the pics coming!

Blake

Well today I had the time to "open the can of worms".

Remember before this engine was removed from the jeep I made a preliminary diagnoses I knew I had a problem with #5 cylander I figured it was the wrist pin that gave out on the piston.

Well I was 1 inch off with the diagnoses it was the whole skirt side of the piston that had cracked and was seperating from the main body of the piston causing the hollow slapping sound the jeep was making.

NOT BAD for a jack off like me as a diagnoses before it was taken apart, so now I have to have the cam and crank micrometered along with the cylander walls, I could see the timing chain slack is hanging down like a worn out clothesline from the porch to the barn.

And the camshaft has a WEE bit of walk to it so I'd guess this is the first time the block has been taken down thats one thing I'm happy about I believe it will all be serviceable and I can get it back into a reliable rebuilt condition.

I will post again when its going back together and all cleaned an painted that may be awhile from now unless I find a lunker nugget or meteorite that has some good value.

The pencil is pointing to one side of the crack the other crack is right along the casting edge almost invisible.

SANY1194.jpg

Ol genie dog is guarding the engine block minus #5 piston

SANY1193.jpg

Guest bedrock bob

Looks like the spotted dog is keeping an eye on things in the shop!

Nice loking critter there Frank!

I was doing my civic duty Bob and rescued her from the county dogpound 3 years ago. Shes a real pal.

Guest bedrock bob

I was doing my civic duty Bob and rescued her from the county dogpound 3 years ago. Shes a real pal.

Bless your heart Frank!

You just gotta love 'em...Our species owes a lot to dogs. In todays world there are so many of them that are "unwanted". My "unwanted" old cur I got about 4 years ago. Best darn friend a man could have!

Bob

Update on progress for Nellybell all external engine parts RECONDITIONED. :WOW:

AND I'm thinkin about a camo paint job on the body so I can sneek up on the gold an meteorites :arrowheadsmiley:

A far cry from what is used to look like.

JEEP005.jpg

JEEP007.jpg

JEEP010.jpg

post-562-126418943184_thumb.jpg

Looking good Frank.

How is the internal work coming?

Gonna look WAY better!

Blake

Oh yea Frank....kinda like putting a wife through one of those "make over" programs

on TV!!!!

When I had the Toyota completely "made over" in 2004 I took a piece of camo BDU's to the body shop owner and told him that's

the color I wanted...he just stook there and looked at me with

a really strange look on his face...turned and walked away without

saying a word...later no camo paint...

I said that because somehow I knew you knew what you were doing and putting that maze of parts back together would not be much of an issue. Now I am sure I was right.... Lookin' real nice...... Go to My link CAMOCLAD to see some cool camo for your jeep. My 300 hpTacoma is camo'd (and my GPX 4000) with it and it is tough as nails.